iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logging slideshow

Started by ephnyb, January 30, 2011, 01:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ephnyb

I got snowed out of working today so with nothing too do I made a slide show of our first big logging job we did. The two log trucks we just bought and the john deere was bought for this job. It seems rather slow now (we only got one load a day) but we learned a lot. I guess everyone starts some were. I hope you like it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O2GH2VBx50
There are Old Loggers and there are Bold Loggers, But No Old Bold Loggers

Mooseherder

I really enjoyed your video.  Was there a lot of damage to the Skidder?

ephnyb

No, I have had it on its side five times, Pull it back up check the oil and go again.

Mooseherder

What is holding you on the seat? ;)

ephnyb

mad murdock

How long ago did you log that? How far is it from Payson area?  Looks like some real nice timber you were in there!  That old cat looks like it is in real good shape.  Looks like you had a bit of fun on that job 8) 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

ephnyb

It is in summit Ut (cedar city) It was 2007, 08

mad murdock

Ok. I was guessing AZ by your location in your profile.  There is some nice timber in the mountains of Utah.  Takes some doing to get to them, but good wood nonetheless.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

ephnyb

Everyone thinks n az is flagstaff, But their is a lot of az north of the canyon

snowstorm

now i know why workmans comp rates are so high. who in there rite mind would run that little jd skidder down that bank? in steep ground keep the blade down

ephnyb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYOySdz9Yv8 This is the clip that is in the video. As you can see I made it down ok. We thought it was a little dangerous, so we tried letting it down with the D4. By tying the Cat too the 440s arch it was too high. The cable is what pulled the skidder over. The Next time (the clip where the cable broke) I was pulling in a skidd sideways. The skidd got hung up and flipped the skidder. Like I said we was just learning. 

Jeff

You don't realize how steep that is until you see that boulder take off down the hill.  :D  I think you did great. Hell, we'd flip equipment over on flat ground sometimes.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

treefarmer87

nice vid, and nice equipment. i like the dozer :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Autocar

I wouldn't like that steep ground at all. Just wondering what would happened if you would left it over the edge with the winch line to hold it back.
Bill

Jeff

Thats the way we would do it.  Hook the main line to the dozer , keep the blade down, and let out cable as needed. Keeps you going head over tea kettle.  But what ever works works too.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

CX3

Nice setup in a bad looking area.  Thanks for the video, it was good.  Did the cable break when rolling the skidder back up or what happened?

I dont feel too bad for ya, were getting ready to start a steep job ourselves!  Be careful.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

grassfed

That is the clearest case of skidder abuse that I have ever seen.

Seriously don't do that again if that skidder broke loose bad you would be dead. A good rule of thumb is don't drive anywhere were you cant back out. Like the others said if you anchored the winch line you would at least have one other option. You were just going  where gravity was taking you.
Mike

toploader Ford

I used to have a JD 440A.  I never turned it over but it's not a good feeling to get one or the other rear wheels off the ground like in the video. I always thought those old John Deere were top heavy.

kderby

Good job crew.  That looks pretty much the same as up here on the dry side of Oregon.  Plenty o bug kill and plenty of steep.  Hope you got some good lumber.

kderby

cord_wood

ive had my 440a on three wheels lots of times,,,,,,, but i sure would have used my winch cable anchored to something in this case???? im glad all worked out ok.
181 husky,ms440artic,p50.2152jons,ms460artic

woodsteach

Great videos.... that must have been a LONG TIME ago... according to TV and my H.S. students ALL logging is done with those fancy new logging machines  ;) ;).  ya know the ones with the ac, cd,dvd players all ya do is punch a few buttons to cut and haul out logs. ;D

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

redlaker1

Quote from: woodsteach on January 31, 2011, 02:31:02 PM
ALL logging is done with those fancy new logging machines  ;) ;).  ya know the ones with the ac, cd,dvd players all ya do is punch a few buttons to cut and haul out logs. ;D

woodsteach

SWEET  sounds like a cross between my chainsaw, my playstation 3,  and my pickup

Maine372

you sir need a timberjack with 23.1x26 tires. low and wide, front axle is closer to the front, and locked up all the time.

does it stall out on the way over? or do you have to do the dance between the wheels spinning to shut the motor off?

ephnyb

We now have a Timberjack 560 with 73x44x32 tires. Its a lot funner on the steep stuff. The 440 has always shut off with the key.

Ron Scott

Well done with the videos. Does your insurance agent or OSHA inspector ever visit your work areas? ;)
~Ron

ephnyb

Are you referring to the children??? I thought it might look bad after I put it on youtube. But they were only there with there mom. She brought lunch a few times. That was the high light of the week for them, going to the mountain on Fridays. (no school)

inspectorwoody

Neat videos.  :)

That skidder would have needed a washing if I was on it when it went over.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!