iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Member needs some advice on john deere 440C

Started by Maine76251, January 30, 2011, 09:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine76251

greetings every one i've been scopeing this forum for quiet awhile now and i could use some of everybody's wealth of knowledge.  I've been working in the woods for about a year now being mentored by a very experienced wood cutter in central maine and i'm about to branch out on my own here in the next month. im renting to own from my boss a did 440c that is in good shape but the diff lock isn't working we cant seem to figure out why. the valve locks down when the pedel is engaged and its not leaking any were that i can see. i only have one set of chains which are on the fron and it would make things a lot easier if the diff lock worked. thanks for the help

snowstorm

there are clutch packs in the front housing. if it really is getting oil to it then the problem is in there. with the diff lock engaged it wont steer well.i wood buy a set of ice chains for the rear  rings on front. ran a 440 for yrs. diff lock only helps when your really stuck. to fix it put pressure guadge in line if ok drop front axle take it apart if you havnt done it before find someone that has. i would on parts first some things you cant get anymore. call nortrax in bangor the price to fix will scare you

Bobus2003

My 440's diff lock hasn't worked for years.. When my pedals down.. it won't work, then after some time it ends up blowing out an axle seal and then leaks oil.. It just ran no chains in the summer and a set of rings in the winter

Maine76251

thanks for the advice guys i guess i'll suck it up and buy some chains for the rear. I'll post some pics of the old girl once i figure out how to resize them :P

CX3

Dont get too concerned.  Locking all 4 in really doesnt add up to much on the 440.  As posted, only helps if youre in a terrible spot.  It just doesnt weigh enough to get that much more traction.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

trapper

stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!