iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Be careful out there things can happen fast.

Started by chevytaHOE5674, January 30, 2011, 09:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevytaHOE5674

On friday a friend/supplier of mine who is a small time jobber that generally works alone in the woods was killed while working. A cedar tree somehow landed on top of him causing injuries to his head. By the time they got to him and got him out of the woods it was too late. He was 50 years and had been working in the woods since he was in highschool, so he wasn't a greenhorn and he was a safe worker.

Moral of the story is be careful out there it can happen to anybody. So be careful out there guys.

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/news/story.aspx?id=573994

tyb525

I'm sorry to hear that...it's a good idea to have a partner in the woods. I'm guilty of working out there alone pretty much all the time though, but I do have a cellphone so that's better than nothing. You gotta be extra extra careful out there when you're alone.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

I also work alone most of the time.  I guess if someone was there, they could drag my ragged old bones out of the woods.  It seems, at times, that just being careful isn't enough.

My condolences to his family.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

I agree about the partner issue, but would it have saved this man?  If you suffer broken bones or external bleeding, I am sure it would help.  But bad head injuries are another story.  Even when you have a buddy out there with you, I'll bet you are not working right next to each other.  It's just sad when bad things happen to good people.  As a non-logger, you don't need this Forum to know that it's a dangerous avocation.  Be careful.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

chevytaHOE5674

Having somebody in the woods with him probably wouldn't have helped. Tree came back on him and that was that.

To anybody in the woods look up and keep alerted to danger at all times.

Warbird

Sorry to hear this.  It's so important to stay on your toes every second you are out there.  And sometimes, even that is not enough. 

thecfarm

Sorry to hear of your loss of your friend. Young too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Burlkraft

That's too bad.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

lumberjack48

Sad day, After all the yrs i fell timber, a person has to keep reminding your self how dangerous it is, a human has a tendency to get complacent.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!