iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer Decking

Started by brendonv, January 29, 2011, 08:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill m

Now that you have a lot of suggestions as to what to use for decking some questions and things to consider so you can make the best decision for your needs. How much time and effort do you want to put into decking this trailer? Do you have a sawmill and access to any of these different kinds of logs? When boards gets damaged ( and they will ) how easy will it be to replace them. As for using PT do not get it from a big box store. There is a big difference in the PT sold by them and the stuff you can get at a good lumber yard. It doesn't look like you are putting big tracked equipment on your trailer so most of the abuse will come from logs with stubs on them. Good luck and nice trailer.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Dave Shepard

I put a new deck on a 24' gooseneck trailer about ten years ago. Instead of trying to bolt everything down, I decked it in 8' sections. The trailer was designed for 1.5" lumber, so I had to reduce the ends of the 8/4 to fit in the slots. I then welded two angles back to back to make a T. I put this over the ends to hold them down. The oak shrank, and the boards were a little loose, but it worked great, and only took about two hours. I have no idea how long it would have taken to bolt everything.

This awful sketch shows basically what I did. This is a cutaway with the outside channel and rub rail removed. You can see that the planks are captured at each end, and are resting on the cross channels. The Ts are welded at each end to the side channels of the trailer. You could weld up an iron to the front to capture one end, and another at the back that is removable. Being that your trailer is shorter, you could make just one section to cover the area you need planked.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Reddog

Thinking about it, this may be a easy way to make it removable and light.
http://vistamation.com/products/rack-systems/sure-grip-safety-grating-52480/HGS-207-166631/
You could make sections that would be one piece and remove them with the loader.

brendonv

That's an idea Reddog, will be pricey though.

Does anyone see any problems with running the board perpendicular to the way one would rear load the trailer?  Usually the boards go with the length of the trailer, but since it's frame is broken up into small sections, it'd be wayyyy easier to run the boards the length of the width instead of cutting a lot of small 2' sections?
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

tyb525

If you run them across instead of lengthwise, how would they be supported in the middle?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

brendonv

There would only be a gap less than 24" I'll measure tommorrow and take a pic

www.VorioTree.com

logman81

brendonv nice log trailer I've been looking for the same setup as you have but have not been unable to find one close and at a good price. If you don't mind me asking where did you buy it? I would like to know here more about it like how well it works performance wise, and would like to see more pics of it if possible. I live in Rhode island not to far from you about hour and a half or so, I own a small logging and tree service and would like to know how well it has worked out for you.
Precision Firewood & Logging

H60 Hawk Pilot

I redecked my low boy a few years back. I used 5/4 white oak from one of the local sawmills. My trailer is 35 ton Trail King and the cross members are only 2 feet spaced on the outside deck area.  I used the orginal wood that was on the deck where the heaviest load would track on the trailer. I forgot the name of the replacment deck wood. It was imported and redish looking. The price $$ was wild, something like $ 3.00 bucks a foot.  I only bought what I needed to cover the outside two feet (tread ways). I liked my oak boards  too and the replacement cost was cheap. I could bust a deck board in No Time when I was loading heavy equipment of all different types (sharp edges).

I'd follow the advice to go with the 1 7/8" to 2" inch thickness for you 3 foot spacing. I have another trailer that was home built and has open deck grating on it. I really like this old trailer and it's tuff.  The grate spacing is 1 1/4" by 2" in. long slotted holes. The center section is open to drop in boards if you want to close up the entire deck surface. Only the outside 2 1/2 feet tread ways have the steel grate on them, the cross member spacing is about 4 feet on this trailer.

I mentioned this grating deal as another option that may work for you. It's nice to have dirt (bark) and stuff drop down and not load up on the trailer floor.

Avery  
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

brendonv

Logman.

I bought the trailer used in December, a buddy found it on tree trader, and decided it wasn't the right time for him to buy it.  I went to Virginia to get it, got it for $10k.   8)

Never hitched it to my truck yet, and hit the road.  We have over 2 feet of snow on the ground, so tree work here slows down for the winter.  I have played with it at the house, should work out nicely.

I'll get more pics and try not to curse this up loader.

There is a video of it on youtube.

my user name is cttreeclimber

can I post youtube links?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtLwEg5RS5M

www.VorioTree.com

logman81

Thanks for the info brendonv. I think you got a good deal on it, We have about the same amount of snow here but it works out for me because I just started a 75 acre woodlot thinning job over in Tiverton RI, and the logs slide easy on t he snow and keeps them clean. I'll be cutting about 100 to 150 cord of tree length so it should keep me busy until spring. I also checked out your vid on youtube, That thing is awesome perfect for a tree service or small logging company I want one. I priced one of those wheeler junior log trailers and the price was ridiculous $42,000 :o. Looking forward to seeing more pics of you using it and keep me posted on how you it works out for you. 
Precision Firewood & Logging

CX3

Thanks for posting the video.  It looks like just what we are needing for a job here.

Logman, I have found several of these loader trailers on craiglist in vermont and pennsylvania and new york.  If you think they are hard to find around you, try finding one in MO.  Nearly impossible.  We may have to travel a long ways to find one of these to buy. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

brendonv

You'll find them on craigslist very rarely.  Even then, the ones for sales aren't meant for over the road use.  Just forest use.  I never found one on craigslist for over the road.

www.VorioTree.com

brendonv

If I calculated it correctly, 1/8" steel diamond plate would be lighter than the oak floor.

hmmm

Steel, paint and more money.

White oak, free wood, cheap milling, free used motor oil.  Might be a little heavier.

www.VorioTree.com

brendonv

Quote from: Jeff on January 29, 2011, 10:04:55 PM
Quote from: brendonv on January 29, 2011, 09:22:09 PM

I'd post pictures but this uploader is the worst I've ever dealt with.

That's alright, I have no need of your photos taking up my server space. >:(

Trust me, I tried not to.

Why can't you post photo---------bucket  pictures?  That way none of your server space would get taken up.   ;)

www.VorioTree.com

Banjo picker

Is that supposed to make sense in some kind of way?  Could be that the keys to the wood shed have been lost...but I doubt it...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Reddog

Quote from: brendonv on January 31, 2011, 09:18:58 PM
Why can't you post photo---------bucket  pictures?  That way none of your server space would get taken up.   ;)

Well unlike other forums, you can go back to any post in the Forestry Forum, even from 2001 and find it with pictures.  :)

Dave Shepard

I really like the JAVA uploader. Now that I have my gallery set up, I can just click on a 4 mb file on my computer and it squeezes it down and stuffs it in my gallery. No editing needed. Looks like you got it figured out. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tyb525

I much prefer using Jeff's server space over crap-bucket or anything else like that.

It's so much easier seeing how it automatically resizes, and you don't have to go to another site, log in there, resize, upload, find the tag, and then hope the picture doesn't get deleted too quickly >:(
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

I'll spend hours helping someone that doesn't understand and needs help. I have no time for complainers. My website, my rules and I have my reasons. You chose to condemn my work first rather then ask for help, so you get my prick side.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

badpenny

Good on ya, Jeff. I agree 100%, but why sugar coat it, just say what you really mean :) :) :) :) :) :D :D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

woodmills1

I love this place

I post photos

for some reason I can't use the Java, never have got it to load

I resize myself and post

no dig here just the facts  (Mam)  old 60's tv show
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

brendonv

You guys get your feelings hurt easily.

Jeff, I'm sorry I tracked mud into your house, and dissed your up-loader.

www.VorioTree.com

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

redneck

I like that trailer how much did it cost??
how much can your hold?
I never saw that in the catalogue i will look again online.

208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

brendonv

Check Baileysonline.com  About 25k + depending on options

3.5 -4 cords.

www.VorioTree.com

Thank You Sponsors!