iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chinese copies

Started by freqeist1, January 28, 2011, 06:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

It wasn't that many years ago, maybe 10, that if I was to buy an Asian made product in the US and bring it back into Canada, there would be a stiff import terrif on that product. It was something like 40%. They would look any electronic item or big purchase item they suspected all over for country of origin. The TV I have now, I bought here in NB at the grocery store (27") and it was under $300 and made in USA. That was 6 years ago I think. An RCA.

I have noticed that Walmart here stopped using Chinese watches and clocks. They wouldn't last a year and extremely poor quality, especially the wind up alarms, they would practically fall apart in your hands it was so bad. The alarm clocks were about $5-$10 and now the ones they stock are $18-25. Starting to see stuff from Europe more.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Thanks Ianab, I knew of the plant in China, what I had not seen here is what they where making there to sell here. As far as I know nothing from Stihl is out of China sold here, then again I can be proven wrong and it won't be the first time  ::)  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Warbird

Yeah, thanks for the info, Ianab.  Kinda makes you wonder if their having a plant in China helped along the fake parts market?

Ianab

Quote from: Warbird on March 31, 2011, 01:34:34 PM
Yeah, thanks for the info, Ianab.  Kinda makes you wonder if their having a plant in China helped along the fake parts market?

I doubt it. All they need to copy one is a sample and they can reverse engineer it and have a cheap dodgy prototype next day  ::)

I would say they built a plant in China so at least there were some genuine ones on the Asian market. I would imagine the Chinese loggers would curse locally made junk just as much as we do, so being able to buy a good quality saw would be a big step up for them.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Warbird

They have trees in China?   :o :o  ;)

SwampDonkey

As far as I know, the FS550 which I'm most interested in is still stamped Germany on the pull cord assembly. ;D ;)

I bought some German Made clamps today at Lowes as well (bar clamps) all their C-clamps are Chinese (same brand) so they got left right where they sat. ;D I'll have to get a set of Record C-clamps from Lee Valley sometime, made in England.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Mc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 31, 2011, 09:20:52 PM
As far as I know, the FS550 which I'm most interested in is still stamped Germany on the pull cord assembly.

Hey, so at least you know the pull cord assembly is made in Germany
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Warbird

SwampDonkey

:D :D Or the one I took off my older saw. :D :D

Naw, the parts are German made. The crank bearings are from Portugal though, I put them in myself. ;D

Blades are all Swede made around here, no matter the brand. The only ones that make decent blades I guess because blades used to come from all over and now they are all Swede. ;)

Japanese blades were the worst I ever used, they dull before a tank was burned out (wood dull). A Stihl or Windsor blade will last 2 days before the file first touches it, provided I don't hit a mud mound or rock. :D

SwampDonkey

isawlogs

You trying to make some kind of point  ???  :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sablatnic

Sweden is the new China?   :-D

SwampDonkey

Yeah, that our brush blades are all Swede made. Japan used to make the Stihl blades, as I have some older used boxed ones here. The Japanese steal was too soft. I got a hold of some OEM blades from the saw shop last fall and they were soft to, I wasn't happy. The boss got a bunch to hand out in safety meetings, I said I didn't want any. :D

Keep up you guys. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!