iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chinese copies

Started by freqeist1, January 28, 2011, 06:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freqeist1

Im a complete newbie so what good, whats bad about them (other than the obvious ones with no brake)

Mooseherder

ely

i got me some chinesse knock off FF jackets on CL the other day.... not really warm and they do kinda itch but hey cheep has its drawbacks.

only kidding boss.

Jeff

I'm to much of an American to ever want one let alone buy one.

knockoff chainsaw that is.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chucker

Quote from: Jeff on January 28, 2011, 06:32:54 PM
I'm to much of an American to ever want one let alone buy one.

knockoff chainsaw that is.

even if you buy one or all of the top 3 saw brand names, there not " AMERICAN MADE " .... what happened to this country that we cant even make a simple mans working tool like a chainsaw? i would buy all new saws if they were made here at home!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Al_Smith

Oh I can't remember the users name but somone has been evangelising those darned things on the net and wondering why he gets such negative comments about them .

I told him to stump for Mexican made junk and see if he fares any better . :D

Ironwood

No offense, but it isnt even worth the time to read this thread.  :D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Al_Smith

Some of the Stihls are made in Virginia Beach if that's any consolation .

Jeff

Did I say they were American Made?  I said I was an American. You should know my stand about chinese knock offs of sponsor products. It does not stop at sponsors products.. Did you really think I needed that pointed out to me?

chucker

lol ?? just giveing you heck jeff! theres nothing we can buy here at home thats made here it seems? maybe someday when we lock our borders and do for ourselves before others for a change!!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Cut4fun

I think it was the MS361 and smaller has been made in VA Beach for the US market.

Speak-en of Mex,  I have had a couple of Mexican made McCulloch's come through the bench. Wow, just wow.

tjdub

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 28, 2011, 07:27:58 PM

And the bigger saws are still made in Germany (just like most John Deere tractors) if that's any consolation  :D

sablatnic

A friend came the other day, with a brush cutter, that he had bought at an auction and used a few times. Now it wouldn't start, could I repair it, please.
I sure could, but he would have to bring the parts for, as I didn't know what make it was, or where to get the parts.
No decals, numbers or anything, but after he had left, taking the brush cutter with him, I found its birth place on the net. Take a look around. They even sell a "Husqvarna 137 copy"!
http://zjgreen.en.alibaba.com/

Al_Smith

Quote from: tjdub on January 28, 2011, 10:30:23 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on January 28, 2011, 07:27:58 PM

And the bigger saws are still made in Germany (just like most John Deere tractors) if that's any consolation  :D
-- --lest we not forget Mexican Lincolns and Japanese Caterpilars

SwampDonkey

Our FS550 brush saws are German, but well made for sure. No Chinese outfit will ever sell anything close. That being said, we have to get our brush cutter blades from Sweden, every brand of blade made is out of Sweden. Well, not all, but the good ones and there is a lot of brands. The saw shop every once in awhile get cheap blades in, and I'm thinking Japanese, and they aren't worth snot. They get wood dull before you burn out a tank. You put on a Sthil blade and you can cut for 2 days if you don't hit something that isn't wood. I told the shop last fall don't ever try push those crap blades on me again. The worker looses both ways, cheep means going through blades quicker, dulls quick, thus means more time sharpening while you should be cutting.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

weimedog

Take all your aftermarket 365/372 parts and put them together and you will have:

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/376534199-365-chain-saw-24-husqvarna-Guide-Bar-65-1cc-4-6hp-3-4kw-FREE-SHIPPING--wholesalers.html

Or you have this with Stihl

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/369821326-72CC-stihl-gasoline-chainsaw-STIHL-MS380-3-6KW-24-Guide-Bar-FREE-SHIPPING-Wholesale-Price-Chainsaw-wholesalers.html

of course you would think there are legal complications using the brand names as they are on these saws and boxes right?
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

oldaxman

Forign saws is one of my many pet peaves.When I was a young man macs and even homelittes were good saws. Then they decided to make cheap saws for a fast buck I guess and german saws took over.Its not like germany is a 3rd world nation with cheap labor.Ill never understand this american mentality of make it cheap, make it fast, take the money and run. Its why we are getting are arses kicked by rest of the world.One of the reasons anyway.

weimedog

watch that old 1980's Micheal Douglas movie "wall street". Remember when the corporate raiders were all the rage? Regan era moving money to make like we have an economy? When we destroyed our machine tool infrastructure. The the Clinton years selling vapor ware to the US public in the form of the Dot. Com bubble then crash around the late 1990's and early 2000 when Bush had that recession to deal with. All the while letting the next generation technology flood out our doors to places who now are competing with us (Find our what "ARPA" was if you want a clue)..then the Housing Bubble started in the mid 1990's and crashed last two years...there is a common denominator in all this.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

SPIKER

Heck if you buy the china stuff and keep fixing all the small flaws by re-building & repairing it eventually most of it will be made in USA :D   Otherwise not a lot is being made here anymore other than a few sorted large machinery low production items.   USA small business is great at making one and two things and changing to making one or two different sized ones.  custom manufactures are the best way to proceed, (WM) is a good example of this.  Building lower production machine that has a moderate profitability that is rather large and hard to move around the world.   the CHINA is centered around being able to build thousands of items a day/week and shipping container full around the world.   A lot of this manufacturing is moving away form china now due to higher shipping rates and fact that the item it's self is low profit margin and takes up a lot of space in a shipping container.   Local company left the county seat 15 years ago (I worked to help move a lot of its equipment) this time last year they refurbished a local closed walmart and moved back in due to costs.   They make things like kids plastic rocking horses where you can get maybe 1000 in a container full so shipping that container costs 4 grand so every one shipping alone would add 4 bucks cost.   now manufacturing rates & labor rates are all up in china so these can be made in USA for 6 bucks or made in china for 5.90 they both still have to be assembled here so that cost is a wash.   With the natural gas costs way down, labor rates in USA dropping and shipping costs going up it was in the long run better to control the manufacturing of the product and build it here for in long run less.
There is still probably no way to move the manufacture of a billion widgets that are built mostly automatically over there back.   just the way things are...
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

weimedog

The reason folks get upset is somewhere in their gut they know they got a raw deal. It took 100 years to accomplish but we got here thanks to a political philosophy. A lot of our core manufacturing was artificially made too expensive from a variety of decisions from a variety of sources. Don't have time to write a history lesson but there is and has been a common denominator to most of these issue. I lived a part of it and now look back and I'm amazed how easy it was to tear apart the finest manufacturing infrastructure in the world. Be that as is may, renewal isn't always a bad thing. I have nothing against the hard working folks over in China and the fact is they have the same access to the leading edge manufacturing technology we have..and they bought it for pennys on the dollar in many cases. In addition to that the interest on the national debt paid to china just about covers the cost of their military. That's before you figure on how much of their manufacturing capability was first given for penny's on the dollar and now earned thru the sales channels offered by Walmart and so many of the other retail outlets through out the world. I certainly can't blame them for taking advantage of a good thing! But I do blame the attitude and ignorance of the typical politician and conventional business bean counter mentality educated here at out finest institutions that first allowed, then encouraged, and now justifies the environment built here over time to support that technology transfer and now economic transfer of wealth. I'm refuse to get into this here...this is a place to happy thoughts and feeling! NOT politics please.

John Woodworth

J believe in the inport - export trade as long as it's fair to all, why arn't there quality controll of products imported, they should have to go through the same process here as our products go through when they are recieved in foreigh countrys. If that were ever to be Chinese junk wouldn't make it past the 200 mi. limit and would be dumped for a artifical reef which probably wouldn't hold up. They have been stelling technology and getting away with it because people buy their cheap junk, I saw make all compairable products the same price and let the customer decide  and I guarentee the Chinese will have to find another garbage dump for their junk.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

1938farmall

weimedog,  i spent my whole work life in computers & manufacturing and i don't think i've ever seen the situation stated better than you have done in one sentence  ag

QuoteBut I do blame the attitude and ignorance of the typical politician and conventional business bean counter mentality educated here at out finest institutions that first allowed, then encouraged, and now justifies the environment built here over time to support that technology transfer and now economic transfer of wealth.
aka oldnorskie

Al_Smith

That statement about the bean counters pretty much sums it up .

It makes not one ounce of sense to me to lay off the engineering staff and hire more accuntants but they seem to subscibe to that theory .

On that though the powers to be have tried at every turn to beat down the north American labor force back to 1930's wages and working conditions .Now however with the internet and world wide access at a fingers touch and design type things done for a fraction of the cost now they cry foul with big alligator tears streaming down their cheeks .The counters of the kings beans will be next along with the I-T people then we'll see who's laughing . >:(

SwampDonkey

As you stated Al, the IT group are not immune and they will have their turn on the down swing to. IT is all I here government pushing, it's a false economy pushing electrons around and building infrastructure to carry it. It is failing in Ireland, just 5 years ago they were bragging how well they were doing. It creates middlemen is all it does and soon someone decides to shut them out.

Our federal government has allowed these brokerage services to spring up at the borders to create a job for someone to touch your parcel and pass it along in the delivery chain and collect there proverbial $200 for going past GO. When does the HS end?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Spike60

Unless people are willing to put their wallets where there mouths are, nothing will change for the better. When Cub Cadet switched to Chinese sourced engines on their snow blowers, we simply refused to order or sell them. Can we stop it? No, but we don't have to help the process move along either.

Most people will talk the talk about crap from China, but if it means they might have to pull an extra dollar out of their dusty wallets, then that's all it is, just talk. They talk a lot about principal, and "that isn't right", and "somebody ought to do something". But when it comes to spending their own money, the only principal that ever really motivates them is low price. Challenge them on it and you get meaningless answers like, "Hey, ten bucks is ten bucks."

Another one of my favorites is "competition is great". People like to use that one until they're the ones that have to compete. Then they start singing a different tune entirely.

High minded talk is nice, but there's that old saying: Actions speak louder than words.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

sawguy21

Spiker, you have pretty much summed it up. I am in the outdoor power equipment industry, we are seeing more of the off shore product and it will not stop until the consumer says whoa. So many companies that built their name around quality products have lowered the bar to gain market share with the mass retailer. Volume=happy shareholders.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

My brother in law was telling me about some chinese-made power equipment or another (probably a gas-powered water/trash pump or a generator, since we've been talking about those lately) that came with a spare engine. That gives you some idea of how confident they are about it's durability, I guess.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

smalldog

Not a fan of any cheap copies...what ever the product is.
Hang in there body...just a little further to go.

Yoopersaw

How do you tell if it's a real 372XP or a Chinese copy?

Jeff

Drop it from 3 feet up.

SwampDonkey

Jeff, that has merit. Even these ruggedized Trimble GPS are tested for 3 foot drop on concrete. ;D

Smurf

Yeah way Sad that Poulan and now Husky are offering Cheap 3rd World Class Saws. Even Stihl has cheapened their Product Line , but fortunately do not offer their Product from any Box Stores . ::)

SwampDonkey

Their (Stihl) pro brush saw sure isn't getting cheap, it's probably the most expensive on the market now. But it's also well made, the FS550.

chainsaw_louie

The quality, imho  comes down to the quality of the metal used in each of the 100 or so  different parts in a chainsaw.  I dont think its that hard to reverse engineer a chainsaw and make a stihl/husky look alike.  The hard part is the huge amount of research into the metal used and  how the parts wear during use and coming up with the different steels and alloys that provide the best combination of price, long wear, light weight etc.  This is where the Germans and the Japanese have really excelled and from what I can tell requires a commitment to getting it right regardless of the time it takes or  the cost .   Walmart failed in Germany partly because the consumers there want quality more than low price.  Those cheap imports will come and go , just like those cheap minibikes that autozone was selling a few years back.  The cheap tools etc just does not last and they cant build a lasting base of satisfied customers.

My brother runs a small commercial woodworking business and off in the corner are a bunch of Grizzly tools that have been replaced by higher quality tools by Oneway, Powermatic etc. 

-tim

weimedog

Hope Spike60 visits this thread as he has a great story..true story about a fellow who came in his store with a Husqvarna 365 that had a broken handle and chain brake handle..he wanted to know if there was something Spike could do...and after a little inspection Spike realized it was a Chinese copy. Husqvarna logo's and all. Even on the Box! It was actually a very close copy of the early versions of the 365 to the point where you could probably retro over parts. So he did and brought it up last weekend for motomedic and I to see...with a true OEM Husqvarna handle so it could run.

Some of the tell tale signs were the more brittle and lower surface finish quality plastic...(why the handle broke to begin with)...also a bit harder to start and the carb was a copy of a walbro...(yes a copy!) and we couldn't get the thing to idle down consistently.) It didn't run bad in the cut but wasn't anywhere near the quality of a true Husqvarna..I'll let Spike discuss the gymnastics this company has gone thru to beat the system to allow these things in the country..things like direct shipping from China...so you don't have anyone to sue. The Box within a box to lable it as a gift..just amazing twists and turns. You would hope there was legal recourse by Husqvarna and the stung customers....of course as a former manufacturing engineer I realize the expense this company went thru to reverse engineer and then build the tooling to create this fake..they aren't going to give up right away...as time goes on they probably will improve and both increase product quality and technic to get them in to markets as they obviously are just one step away from criminal...no this is a criminal activity as its clear from all the twists they are intentionally breaking the law.

I do notice they have changed the website to inform folks its a made in china product now!!! Something must have happened!
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/426215584-HUSQVARNA-365-GASOLINE-CHAIN-SAW-65CC-3-4KW-MADE-IN-CHINA-wholesalers.html

Check out the first posting I made on this compared to this updated version! I do know the Chinese Government has made an attempt to address these types of copy right infringements this last month..it was on the news..maybe this new posting is a result.

John Mc

We used to have a manufacturing plant in Mississippi that made aluminum screen cloth (goes into window screens, filters, etc.) We always had a bit of trouble with imports coming in that had copied our packaging and logos. It was interesting, since we didn't  sell much of anything retail or to end users. Most of our stuff sold to other manufacturers.

We closed the plant several years ago. within the last few months, we got a call from one of our former competitors asking if we had sold the rights to our name, trademark, etc. Apparently, the copycats have realized there is no one left to hound them about trademark infringement. They've copied all our packaging perfectly (the quality of the material leaves something to be desired, and sometimes it smells fishy - literally).

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JohnG28

That 365 copy is something!  I have seen some copies of Stihl saws and a few others but that takes the cake.  I can see that really getting by someone.  Makes you wonder what they might be able to do if they put the amount of effort into producing an actual product instead of a copy of someone elses. ::)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

weimedog

Wait until you get to see it up close and personal. And the box...that is just rich. you have to see it to appreciate the effort. And the Husqvarna logo on the SPARK PLUG! The bar, the covers with duplicate stickers on the top cover. Made in Sweden in one place, made in China on another! I said jokingly somewhere its a conglomeration of the cheap after market parts you can ebay..just assembled into a saw..and with legitimate looking packaging and stickers. AND I bet there is more truth to my original honest attempt to joke than any one could have imagined even a month ago.

Spike60

The new link says made in China, but there are no legitimate Husky 365's being made over there. And Husky certainly would give them all the same serial number, would they?  :D

I don't know if there's a direct conection, but I was able to get that customer a refund through his credit card company by identifying several parts that were stamped made in China, where they should be stamped made in Sweden. So, maybe this is a clever way for them to refute further claims by people who realize that they have been hosed.

Also keep in mind that the guy who bought that saw actually believed that it was a real Husky. He kept saying "it says Husqvarna all over it". It was easy for me to spot the flaws instantly because I'm a Husky dealer. Most guys here on the site would likely notice it as well. But the average non-enthusiast buyer wouldn't have a clue.

At some point someone will bring one of these fakes into a Husky or Stihl dealer exoecting to get warranty work done on it, and the look on the guys face when he finds out what he has will be priceless.

I was able to get a used 372 tank on that saw so Weime, Moto and I could mess with it, but it wasn't a clean fit, and I doubt you could always count on getting parts from your local husky dealer to keep that piece of crap in running condition. There are places where they use different hardware. Another example, the trigger assembly and throttle cable are somewhat different. You could simply break the cheap trigger and have to replace the entire tank assembly @ $114.

Good to keep these discussions going; the more people we can educate, the better.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Warbird

Makes a guy nervous about buying a saw online...

isawlogs

It will make buying a used saw interesting in the near futur, no matter from where you get it   :-\ 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Warbird

Yup.  From you guys who are 'in the know' about these Chinese knockoffs, is there a simple and quick list of things to be on the lookout for?  Stuff that will outright prove a saw is a cheap knockoff?

Yoopersaw

I purchased a Arians lawn mower last summer for over $600 and it came with a Kohler engine.  Only on the first oil change, did I notice on the engine "Made in China."  I wouldn't have bought it if I knew up front.

Warbird

I'm talking about the ones that don't have an obvious "Made in China" tag.  Outside of asking a seller to drop it from 3 feet and let us know if it still works, what are some easy ways to know a supposed Stihl or Husky is a fake?

Yoopersaw

I know the local dealer won't accept me dropping it at all.

Al_Smith

I've yet to experiance any Chinese made chainsaws but I'm sure I will as time goes on .

It's gotten to the point that even good old USA companies have many things made in China we basicaly know nothing about until having discovered same after buying the product in good faith .Sad to say there are two new appliances I recently installed I got that surprise on .One a Kitchen Aid dish washer and a surface cooking unit .

The icing on the cake though was 3/4" oak plywood for cabinetry .Can you imagine good old Ohio red oak sent to China,veneered into plywood then sent right back to where  it came .Now that sucks . :(

SwampDonkey

I've busted my second Chinese clamp today. This time a bar clamp. The thread in the cast went just like in the C-clamp around Christmas. Anyone that thinks they are saving money buying this junk never added up all the replacements you made versus one that lasts a lifetime, Canadian or US made.  ;)  You can tell as you tighten them the cast wears off the threads and ends up on the piece your clamping like filings. :D

isawlogs

Could you be kind enough  to share what it is that they have made in China  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Warbird

What you probably saw was a Stihl with replacement Chinese parts.  That's my guess.

Ianab

Stihl certainly has a manufacturing plant in China, opened in 2006.

They probably aren't supplying the US market from there (yet), but in Stihl's case it's their own factory, presumably making gear up to their standards. Not some dodgy back yard outfit slapping Stihl stickers on any old junk.

http://www.stihl.com/isapi/default.asp?contenturl=/unternehmen/presse/tagespresse/499.htm

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

It wasn't that many years ago, maybe 10, that if I was to buy an Asian made product in the US and bring it back into Canada, there would be a stiff import terrif on that product. It was something like 40%. They would look any electronic item or big purchase item they suspected all over for country of origin. The TV I have now, I bought here in NB at the grocery store (27") and it was under $300 and made in USA. That was 6 years ago I think. An RCA.

I have noticed that Walmart here stopped using Chinese watches and clocks. They wouldn't last a year and extremely poor quality, especially the wind up alarms, they would practically fall apart in your hands it was so bad. The alarm clocks were about $5-$10 and now the ones they stock are $18-25. Starting to see stuff from Europe more.

isawlogs

Thanks Ianab, I knew of the plant in China, what I had not seen here is what they where making there to sell here. As far as I know nothing from Stihl is out of China sold here, then again I can be proven wrong and it won't be the first time  ::)  :D

Marcel

Warbird

Yeah, thanks for the info, Ianab.  Kinda makes you wonder if their having a plant in China helped along the fake parts market?

Ianab

Quote from: Warbird on March 31, 2011, 01:34:34 PM
Yeah, thanks for the info, Ianab.  Kinda makes you wonder if their having a plant in China helped along the fake parts market?

I doubt it. All they need to copy one is a sample and they can reverse engineer it and have a cheap dodgy prototype next day  ::)

I would say they built a plant in China so at least there were some genuine ones on the Asian market. I would imagine the Chinese loggers would curse locally made junk just as much as we do, so being able to buy a good quality saw would be a big step up for them.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Warbird

They have trees in China?   :o :o  ;)

SwampDonkey

As far as I know, the FS550 which I'm most interested in is still stamped Germany on the pull cord assembly. ;D ;)

I bought some German Made clamps today at Lowes as well (bar clamps) all their C-clamps are Chinese (same brand) so they got left right where they sat. ;D I'll have to get a set of Record C-clamps from Lee Valley sometime, made in England.

John Mc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 31, 2011, 09:20:52 PM
As far as I know, the FS550 which I'm most interested in is still stamped Germany on the pull cord assembly.

Hey, so at least you know the pull cord assembly is made in Germany

Warbird

SwampDonkey

:D :D Or the one I took off my older saw. :D :D

Naw, the parts are German made. The crank bearings are from Portugal though, I put them in myself. ;D

Blades are all Swede made around here, no matter the brand. The only ones that make decent blades I guess because blades used to come from all over and now they are all Swede. ;)

Japanese blades were the worst I ever used, they dull before a tank was burned out (wood dull). A Stihl or Windsor blade will last 2 days before the file first touches it, provided I don't hit a mud mound or rock. :D

SwampDonkey

isawlogs

You trying to make some kind of point  ???  :D :D

Marcel

sablatnic

Sweden is the new China?   :-D

SwampDonkey

Yeah, that our brush blades are all Swede made. Japan used to make the Stihl blades, as I have some older used boxed ones here. The Japanese steal was too soft. I got a hold of some OEM blades from the saw shop last fall and they were soft to, I wasn't happy. The boss got a bunch to hand out in safety meetings, I said I didn't want any. :D

Keep up you guys. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!