iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Idol Time

Started by Jeff, January 27, 2011, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'll admit it. I watch American Idol. Always have. And anyone that says the show is invalid has not turned their radio on in ten years. Some of the biggest new stars from all genres were discovered on the show. That being said, the last couple three years it seems that the judging and changes in judges was going to eventually drag the show under. This year when they announced the new judges replacing Simon Ellen and Cara, with Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez, I thought, well, its over.

Boy was I wrong. The show never lost a step, in fact I think it gained a ton. I don't miss old Simon one bit, and Steven Tyler is just flat out a music lovin machine.  I've really enjoyed the show this year far more then the last three.  From what I can see so far, there is no end of talent coming our of America.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Oh gag me with a spoon!  Does this mean Survivor and Dancing with the Stars are starting back up too? ::) :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Gag me with a spoon? Clearly you fill your time with watching lindsay lohan movies. ;)

There is a saying, and the only thing I can really repeat is the last 3 words.

.....  I'd dip it.

DanG

Who is Lindsay Lohan, and what kind of movies does he make?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Patty

OMG ! I never thought I would see the day that I agreed with DanG over Jeff on anything   :o    I am shocked!

Sorry Jeff, but DanG has got you on this one......  :D :D

No offense intended Jeff, I am just trying to add to the conversation. It is amazing that I can equally insult 2 ff members in just one post.  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Cedarman

The 3 judges seem to work well together on Idol.   Talent is good.  What about that tall, Harvard, Whitehouse working babe? She even admitted she was gaga over Obama.  A platonic Monica Lewinsky. Amazing what people will say and do when they audition. Sings well too. Definitely a wide range of talent.

Boston Rob and Russell back on Survivor with some twists.  Spring is looking up.

I'm with ya Jeff.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

bugdust

Come on guys, surely you've got more interesting topics to share. This is a lot more interesting, THE ROBINS ARRIVED HERE! YESTERDAY!
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Burlkraft

Quote from: bugdust on January 28, 2011, 08:01:10 AM
Come on guys, surely you've got more interesting topics to share. This is a lot more interesting, THE ROBINS ARRIVED HERE! YESTERDAY!

They gotta be pretty DanG dumb.

Don't they know you guy's are gonna a lot more snow yet!  :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Texas Ranger

In order to pull this thread into a real thread, had some really good ham for breakfest this morning.  And, I agree with DanG, who are these people, and do they have a life?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Cedarman

You'ins probably don't like the Beatles either.  I had oatmeal and a slice of toast for breakfast.  Getting ready to have a banana.  I am practicing for when I do get on facebook.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

scgargoyle

I'll fess up- I watch American Idol, too. I like to see young, undiscovered talent. What I hate is the nut-jobs and the drama. I usually skip the audition part because they waste too much time with tone-deaf idiots that have no business being there. This year, they seem to be showing more talent and less of the jerks. I usually don't watch the decision nights either because they play up the drama too much. I'm glad Simon is gone- I think everybody's had enough of him.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

pigman

Quote from: scgargoyle on January 28, 2011, 04:19:28 PM
I usually skip the audition part because they waste too much time with tone-deaf idiots that have no business being there.
When they did the auditions in Louisville a couple of years ago they weeded out all the people with talent and only let the nut jobs audition before the actual judges. When asked by the local media why they only kept the inept,  their response was that they wanted Kentucky to look like a bunch of hicks. They said that Idol was an entertainment show not a talent contest. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

I always liked talent shows, but I figured the talent was already discovered before I saw it on the screen.  :D

Anyway, I can't comment on the show because I probably don't get it unless it's on Fox or CBS. And anything after about 10:00 PM is likely to get slept through. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Your a brave man scgargoyle . Prepare to be ridiculed by the old farts from the south. ;)

QuoteThey said that Idol was an entertainment show not a talent contest.

The resulting new artists that enter the world of music at the end of each year prove that statement to be dead wrong.

Even if you never ever watched Idol, you have heard of at least one or more of the names below if you ever listen to music on T.V. or the radio.

Kelly Clarkson
Chris Daughtry
Carrie Underwood
Jennifer Hudson
Kellie Pickler

Donk, it is a fox show.

SwampDonkey

I'll have to check the listings Jeff.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

At the end it is a talent show, but during most of the audititions it is just an entertaiment show. At the Louisville "cattle call" there was a local girl that most everyone thought would at least make it to the next step if not the finals. She was a great singer and was very pleasing to the eyes.
The producers removed her before the auditions in front of the judges because "she looked too much like Carrie Underwood."  When I watched the show with the Louisville part, all I saw was a bunch of non singers acting silly.
What I am saying is in the early rounds what you see on tv is closely scripted by the producers for entertainment purposes.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

Says next shows, Audition #5, #6 are next Wednesday and Thursday at 8:00 est

doctorb

Well I am completely backwards from the Idol idolizers.  I love the early shows with people like me with no talent whatsoever, but foolish enough to get up there and let 'r rip.  I love the judges telling them so, and I love their reactions.

Yes, some great new talent has come out of this process.  I can wait for the winner's CD.  The fervor over this show has died down considerably compared to its first few years.  No more conversations in the office about who got bounced and who stayed.  Just one final note:  This IS the show that gave us "Pants on the ground"!  Enough said.  I'll take a good book, a fire, and a glass of something over Idol every time.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

beenthere

The American Idol is a business that apparently has schools for kids wanting to "learn" to perform on the show.
Friend of mine has sent her teenage daughter to a school for 2 years now, and is (to me) akin to the baby, kids, and teenager beauty contests that some parents enter their offspring into.
A lot of money is spent to get them into the line-up with the carrot being they may get on the stage of American Idol.

I've tried to watch it, but cannot get past the acting and primping of the judges. The camera keeps flashing back and forth to "see" the reactions of the judges putting on their act.  Seems their role should be in the background, not grand-standing in the foreground. But that is likely just me.

Getting so ESPN sports is becoming the same "acting" of the sports commentators. Sometimes (too often for me) the commentators just let the game go on and talk with and about each others random thoughts and feelings. Like they are the main characters of the game we want to watch. I'll not even rant on the candy dames doing the color commentating on the sidelines. Mute button time for sure.  ;D

"ol Northern no-idol fart here" :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jim king

Quotethere is no end of talent coming our of America.

We have the same show South American version.  Some of these kids are incredible and have replaced the top stars here.  More power to them.

Brazil is heavy ANorth American Country Western with a Brazilian twist and in my opinion better than US Country Western.  Don´t forget the "Lambada", typical Brazilian music.  Not much of a fan of modern Country Western but they can make you a beleiver even if it is in Portuguese.  I still like Marty Robins, Johnny Cash and that tribe.

I just like music.  Henry Mancini , Paul Mauriot and the Tiajuana Brass were good as Jay and the Americans also and many more..  Can you tell my age ?¿  They all srarted as a zero also like most of us.

Good luck to all the kids that have the guts to get up there and try.  I only watch the finals, the embarrasment that some go thru I don´t like.

Qweaver

Quote from: bugdust on January 28, 2011, 08:01:10 AM
Where are you  in WV.  :o  They would have to come in on a snow sled here in Weston.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

SwampDonkey

I'm afraid I probably won't be an idolizer of this show. It sounds too much like "Big Brother" style TV. Hate it.  ::) :-X

Busy Beaver Lumber

Does anyone remember the "Gong Show". Now that was one funny talent search show. I used to love it when they pulled people off the stage with the big sheep hearding hook and the way he used to introduce the acts by saying stuff like "I love this next act, but then again I love Milk of Magnesia"

Most of the contestants really were bad, and of course there was :Mean Gene the Dancing Machine", but once in a while they would actually put someone on that had some real talent and you had to sit up and take notice and give credit where credit was due.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Burlkraft

I have been watching Idol for the last 3 years.

I like it beyond the auditions.

The ones that stay seem to grow and learn during the course of the show.

Real or not, it's a pretty good watch now. I was tired of the other 2.

Steven Tyler and Jennifer really make the chit chat watchable.

Real or not, it's all a good watch, I like musical talent and they have really turned some out.

Real or not?  I really don't care.

I don't ask myself that every time I'm going to watch a movie, although I do like movies about real events, just to complicate things a bit more!  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

jim king

Qweaver:

The Weavers were good also.

Thank You Sponsors!