iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Idol Time

Started by Jeff, January 27, 2011, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'll admit it. I watch American Idol. Always have. And anyone that says the show is invalid has not turned their radio on in ten years. Some of the biggest new stars from all genres were discovered on the show. That being said, the last couple three years it seems that the judging and changes in judges was going to eventually drag the show under. This year when they announced the new judges replacing Simon Ellen and Cara, with Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez, I thought, well, its over.

Boy was I wrong. The show never lost a step, in fact I think it gained a ton. I don't miss old Simon one bit, and Steven Tyler is just flat out a music lovin machine.  I've really enjoyed the show this year far more then the last three.  From what I can see so far, there is no end of talent coming our of America.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Oh gag me with a spoon!  Does this mean Survivor and Dancing with the Stars are starting back up too? ::) :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Gag me with a spoon? Clearly you fill your time with watching lindsay lohan movies. ;)

There is a saying, and the only thing I can really repeat is the last 3 words.

.....  I'd dip it.

DanG

Who is Lindsay Lohan, and what kind of movies does he make?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Patty

OMG ! I never thought I would see the day that I agreed with DanG over Jeff on anything   :o    I am shocked!

Sorry Jeff, but DanG has got you on this one......  :D :D

No offense intended Jeff, I am just trying to add to the conversation. It is amazing that I can equally insult 2 ff members in just one post.  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Cedarman

The 3 judges seem to work well together on Idol.   Talent is good.  What about that tall, Harvard, Whitehouse working babe? She even admitted she was gaga over Obama.  A platonic Monica Lewinsky. Amazing what people will say and do when they audition. Sings well too. Definitely a wide range of talent.

Boston Rob and Russell back on Survivor with some twists.  Spring is looking up.

I'm with ya Jeff.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

bugdust

Come on guys, surely you've got more interesting topics to share. This is a lot more interesting, THE ROBINS ARRIVED HERE! YESTERDAY!
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Burlkraft

Quote from: bugdust on January 28, 2011, 08:01:10 AM
Come on guys, surely you've got more interesting topics to share. This is a lot more interesting, THE ROBINS ARRIVED HERE! YESTERDAY!

They gotta be pretty DanG dumb.

Don't they know you guy's are gonna a lot more snow yet!  :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Texas Ranger

In order to pull this thread into a real thread, had some really good ham for breakfest this morning.  And, I agree with DanG, who are these people, and do they have a life?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Cedarman

You'ins probably don't like the Beatles either.  I had oatmeal and a slice of toast for breakfast.  Getting ready to have a banana.  I am practicing for when I do get on facebook.

scgargoyle

I'll fess up- I watch American Idol, too. I like to see young, undiscovered talent. What I hate is the nut-jobs and the drama. I usually skip the audition part because they waste too much time with tone-deaf idiots that have no business being there. This year, they seem to be showing more talent and less of the jerks. I usually don't watch the decision nights either because they play up the drama too much. I'm glad Simon is gone- I think everybody's had enough of him.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

pigman

Quote from: scgargoyle on January 28, 2011, 04:19:28 PM
I usually skip the audition part because they waste too much time with tone-deaf idiots that have no business being there.
When they did the auditions in Louisville a couple of years ago they weeded out all the people with talent and only let the nut jobs audition before the actual judges. When asked by the local media why they only kept the inept,  their response was that they wanted Kentucky to look like a bunch of hicks. They said that Idol was an entertainment show not a talent contest. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

I always liked talent shows, but I figured the talent was already discovered before I saw it on the screen.  :D

Anyway, I can't comment on the show because I probably don't get it unless it's on Fox or CBS. And anything after about 10:00 PM is likely to get slept through. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Your a brave man scgargoyle . Prepare to be ridiculed by the old farts from the south. ;)

QuoteThey said that Idol was an entertainment show not a talent contest.

The resulting new artists that enter the world of music at the end of each year prove that statement to be dead wrong.

Even if you never ever watched Idol, you have heard of at least one or more of the names below if you ever listen to music on T.V. or the radio.

Kelly Clarkson
Chris Daughtry
Carrie Underwood
Jennifer Hudson
Kellie Pickler

Donk, it is a fox show.

SwampDonkey

I'll have to check the listings Jeff.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

At the end it is a talent show, but during most of the audititions it is just an entertaiment show. At the Louisville "cattle call" there was a local girl that most everyone thought would at least make it to the next step if not the finals. She was a great singer and was very pleasing to the eyes.
The producers removed her before the auditions in front of the judges because "she looked too much like Carrie Underwood."  When I watched the show with the Louisville part, all I saw was a bunch of non singers acting silly.
What I am saying is in the early rounds what you see on tv is closely scripted by the producers for entertainment purposes.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

Says next shows, Audition #5, #6 are next Wednesday and Thursday at 8:00 est

doctorb

Well I am completely backwards from the Idol idolizers.  I love the early shows with people like me with no talent whatsoever, but foolish enough to get up there and let 'r rip.  I love the judges telling them so, and I love their reactions.

Yes, some great new talent has come out of this process.  I can wait for the winner's CD.  The fervor over this show has died down considerably compared to its first few years.  No more conversations in the office about who got bounced and who stayed.  Just one final note:  This IS the show that gave us "Pants on the ground"!  Enough said.  I'll take a good book, a fire, and a glass of something over Idol every time.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

beenthere

The American Idol is a business that apparently has schools for kids wanting to "learn" to perform on the show.
Friend of mine has sent her teenage daughter to a school for 2 years now, and is (to me) akin to the baby, kids, and teenager beauty contests that some parents enter their offspring into.
A lot of money is spent to get them into the line-up with the carrot being they may get on the stage of American Idol.

I've tried to watch it, but cannot get past the acting and primping of the judges. The camera keeps flashing back and forth to "see" the reactions of the judges putting on their act.  Seems their role should be in the background, not grand-standing in the foreground. But that is likely just me.

Getting so ESPN sports is becoming the same "acting" of the sports commentators. Sometimes (too often for me) the commentators just let the game go on and talk with and about each others random thoughts and feelings. Like they are the main characters of the game we want to watch. I'll not even rant on the candy dames doing the color commentating on the sidelines. Mute button time for sure.  ;D

"ol Northern no-idol fart here" :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jim king

Quotethere is no end of talent coming our of America.

We have the same show South American version.  Some of these kids are incredible and have replaced the top stars here.  More power to them.

Brazil is heavy ANorth American Country Western with a Brazilian twist and in my opinion better than US Country Western.  Don´t forget the "Lambada", typical Brazilian music.  Not much of a fan of modern Country Western but they can make you a beleiver even if it is in Portuguese.  I still like Marty Robins, Johnny Cash and that tribe.

I just like music.  Henry Mancini , Paul Mauriot and the Tiajuana Brass were good as Jay and the Americans also and many more..  Can you tell my age ?¿  They all srarted as a zero also like most of us.

Good luck to all the kids that have the guts to get up there and try.  I only watch the finals, the embarrasment that some go thru I don´t like.

Qweaver

Quote from: bugdust on January 28, 2011, 08:01:10 AM
Where are you  in WV.  :o  They would have to come in on a snow sled here in Weston.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

SwampDonkey

I'm afraid I probably won't be an idolizer of this show. It sounds too much like "Big Brother" style TV. Hate it.  ::) :-X

Busy Beaver Lumber

Does anyone remember the "Gong Show". Now that was one funny talent search show. I used to love it when they pulled people off the stage with the big sheep hearding hook and the way he used to introduce the acts by saying stuff like "I love this next act, but then again I love Milk of Magnesia"

Most of the contestants really were bad, and of course there was :Mean Gene the Dancing Machine", but once in a while they would actually put someone on that had some real talent and you had to sit up and take notice and give credit where credit was due.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Burlkraft

I have been watching Idol for the last 3 years.

I like it beyond the auditions.

The ones that stay seem to grow and learn during the course of the show.

Real or not, it's a pretty good watch now. I was tired of the other 2.

Steven Tyler and Jennifer really make the chit chat watchable.

Real or not, it's all a good watch, I like musical talent and they have really turned some out.

Real or not?  I really don't care.

I don't ask myself that every time I'm going to watch a movie, although I do like movies about real events, just to complicate things a bit more!  ;D

jim king

Qweaver:

The Weavers were good also.

Jeff

Donk, if you like music, make your mind up for yourself by watching. Beenthere has not even watched this incarnation of judges so his comments on the subject should be simply rejected. The early audition shows are not my favorite either. I wish they just showed the true talent, and this year there is much more of that.

The idol "camps" Not "Schools" are not to groom. They are an activity for kids interested in music.  Whether they are any good at singing or not.  Just like "band camps".  They actually had a kid on there that had been to one of the camps.  Horrible.

Have any of you ever been to a band camp? To a music lesson? Some of the attendees have no talent at all for instruments, but the instructors would never say "You suck, go collect stamps".

So some of you won't pick the wheat from the chaff on something like this. So don't like it. Never asked you to. I thought I would make a post for those that might like it. Not for those that already don't.  

Burlkraft

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on January 28, 2011, 05:53:52 PM
Does anyone remember the "Gong Show".

I LOVED the Gong Show  :D :D :D :D :D

I was in school at UW River Falls then and a bunch of us would gather to drink and stuff and watch the Gong Show  :D  :D  :D

Ahhhhh The good old days.....No worries then....... :-\ :-\

That part of my school life was less than successful and pretty short too!   ::) ::) ;D

Burlkraft

Quote from: Jeff on January 28, 2011, 05:58:53 PM
 Just like "band camps".   

"Ya know what happened this one time at band camp?" said Jeff to Wally in a quiet moment at the pig roast.  :D  :D  :D

Jeff

Jeff

IDOL CAMP

Born out of the desire to foster passion and creativity in children in a fun-filled and non-competitive performing arts environment, Idol Camp uses past American Idol alums and entertainment industry professionals to provide a first-class experience to aspiring performers.

Location isn't all that's new for Idol Camp in 2008. The camp is now allowing enrollment for children ages 10-15 and has been extended to 14 days in order to give kids a longer period for growth and discovery.

"When we launched Idol Camp earlier this year seeing the response from the kids showed all of us how the Idol experience really enhances the camp experience for children," said Shannon Sweeny Pruitt, Vice President Integrated Marketing, Sponsorship, & Live Events for FremantleMedia Enterprises. "By bringing the camp west to the new campus which is absolutely stunning, and by broadening the age groups and adding more time for classes and activities, we hope to enrich the experience for everyone."

"Following the success of last years Idol Camp, we are delighted to bring back a bigger and better experience for this season. Enabling kids to enjoy the 'American Idol' experience beyond just the TV show," says Mark Brittain, Head of Commercial, American Idol.

The new private campus in California's picturesque San Bernardino Mountains will offer children the perfect location for a breathtaking summer experience. As part of the camp curriculum, children will create their own schedules by choosing from classes in singing, dancing, acting, song-writing, audition and performance techniques, personal style, video production, set design and more. Instruction will be provided by respected professionals, with special master classes featuring guest artists such as favorite former American Idol contestants, recording artists, and other top industry professionals. Each evening will bring the entire camp together for fun events, including a final camp performance for families. Traditional camp activities are also included, such as swimming and team sports.

Idol Camp 2008 will be comprised of a series of intensive two-week summer sessions to choose from, including: June 15 - June 28, June 29 - July 12, July 13 - July 26, July 27 - August 9, August 10 - August 23. Enrollment is open to all U.S. residents who display a desire for personal growth and passion for the arts. Idol Camp honors a diverse cross-section of educational backgrounds and opportunities.

Tuition for the 14-day session is $2,995 and does not include transportation to the camp. Fully-paid scholarships will be awarded to a select number of applicants based on financial need.

Enrollment into Idol Camp is not audition-based and DOES NOT GUARANTEE entrance into the American Idol television series competition, nor will it provide inside information or any other advantage in the American Idol audition process.

Kevin

bedway

When they announced the two new judges for this year i chuckled and shook my head. Last years addition of Ellen D. turned into a major flop. As someone previously stated, "Simon was getting old", even if he did speak honestly of talent. Wife and myself have been watching the show for a few years and i figured with Steven and Jennifer becoming judges it wouldnt last much longer. As i extract my foot from my mouth let me say, i think these two have given the show an infusion of enthusiasm and surprising insight. To think, i was one of those that first put this show in the Jerry Springer catagory. Who said us seniors cant be Hip! ;D

SwampDonkey

Yeah Jeff, some of the older gentlemen don't appreciate some of my tastes in music either. ;D  I'll watch it next week if I remember it and see. But, I'll tell ya I don't like some of the styles used in today's reality shows. They go too far over the top. Some stuff I just can't watch, makes my skin crawl. Stay tuned. :D :D

red oaks lumber

this one time at band camp, we had to pull the wheat from the chaff, nobody liked it much. i use to watch idol but always forgot when it was on . same for that show" wipeout" thats funny stuff.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

bugdust

Qweaver, These robins are what we (southern WV), call "northern robins." They are larger than the ones we'll see in March. They dropped in on the holly trees and cleaned up all the berries and moved on. Don't know how far north they left or where they're headed. Seeing them sure was a break from all the snow.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

jim king

I like music of most kinds and find that music is many times a mirror of your life.

Listening to the new kids I keep hoping for a new song like the past , many of them are truly great but they should have new material as the best of the past.

Here are a few of my favorites that have kept me going thru some quite difficult times.

You may enjoy. Or may not.  I love music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T9OeN3t37Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XnhL4DPebE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjqRdtXy5o&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmcG-v9b2Ps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmcG-v9b2Ps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn7d7gZj_qc&feature=related
http://www.jango.com/music/Johnny+Horton?l=0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSPLSo3U46Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSt0NEESrUA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCIQWV5B7Cs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BCLb21Y7Z8

NB sawdust

We watch idol.I don't really know how we got into it,but it's something we manage to watch together without chewing each others heads off ::) Seems like everything else is "her shows" or "my shows".

I enjoy both the auditions and the competition aspect.The auditions are a laugh but I am usually getting tired of them right about when things turn serious. I have my favorites and she has hers !

Ron Wenrich

I stopped watching a few years ago.  It wasn't so much the show, but I couldn't really get the reception too good, so I dropped it.  In addition, there was the time commitment.  You had to watch the show, then the grueling process of elimination.  And, I believe there was a conflicting show on another station.

All that said, there are some really good people that go through that show.  Some of the favorites get pushed out early.  Fan voting has started to become somewhat of a joke.  But, the real winner of this show has always been the Simons - Cowell and Fuller.  They get a cut of the winner's earnings in the first 1 or 2 records.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

scgargoyle

I AM an old fart from the south, so it's all good! :D

The missus and I also go to local high school marching band competitions, as well as plays and concerts. I like to see young folks doing something constructive. AI is a long way from that, but the same principle applies. I wish there was some way to just watch the (good) singing, and weed out the 'entertainment'.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Norm

Well I love music of all kinds but since we don't watch network TV have never seen the show. Pop music is not my favorite genre but I'll bet some of my favorites are not yours either. Like for example I really like some heavy metal music that would make most folks go running for the volume knob.

I wish they'd do a show with garage bands playing their favorite music, no need to judge them.

Jeff I guess you probably knew that some would make fun of your liking the show. Too bad we have folks that do that including my wife who I chastised for doing so.

weimedog

I have to confess to watching Idol but really was dissapointed the last couple of seasons with the audiences choice so watch it less and less...last year i still can't get over this one not winning...listen..this is her stuff, and if you pick around she's penned a lot of really good original songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NR8tH9tDGQ
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Burlkraft

I can't believe that Crystal did not win last year. She is an amazing talent with a background for many more songs just like that.

Sorry ta be gaggin' ya DanG, but I'm gonna enjoy this season  ;D

Jeff

She was my pick that season as well. Sometimes the winners are not the ones to go on to the greatest success.

weimedog

She did a studio version of this one that got yanked from youtube..it was..awesome!!1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu5nVlL5cJU

And then there was this studio version of another really hard song to sing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTAFfvUgmIg

And she doesn't win??? wow. lost interest in American Idol
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Jeff

I can't figure out a statement like that.  Lost interest in American Idol. If not for Idol, you would never have known about her. Who cares who wins in the end. Its about the music.

SwampDonkey

Jeff

Did you actually listen to those donk?  I think they may have been culls. ;)

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D One things for sure, you didn't in 3 minutes. :D

No, from the looks of the comments in Youtube, was no need to. ;)

But, I'll tell ya. We always judge the songs based on the original artist. And I ain't never seen anyone sing like the originals. ;)

Cedarman

With Tivo we can skip some of the in between stuff and do more listening to the talent. Makes the show go faster.   It is just plain fun to listen to new versions of old songs.  Sometimes they do get butchered though.  When they get down to the last 20 or so, the talent is pretty good.  I am not a big fan of the audition, but this year is better.

SwampDonkey

This girl was actually second in 2008 on Canadian Idol. I remember all of NB was root'n. ;D

Jeff

I didnt need three minutes. About ten seconds on each one was plenty. ;)

SwampDonkey

Harsh old Judge.  ;D :D :D

ahlkey

Over the past 10 seasons I have enjoyed watching American Idol.  Sure it has its faults but it  promotes quality music and give young adults a chance at the American dream.  Alternatively, why anyone would watch instead programs like SIMPSONS that lampoons American culture, society,and many aspects of the human condition (been on the air over 20 years) makes me wonder.   So it may just be me but I find American Idol is one of the few programs on the air that has positive outcomes and besides it helps make a long cold winter a little more bearable.

Jeff

I added a poll to the topic for those that want to stay anonymous.  ;)

SwampDonkey

Jeff, my memory gets foggy at times with this stuff because I don't watch much TV. I here short glimpses on radio of what's going on in the entertainment world. And all the while not really paying particular attention to any of it.  So to that, I must say that I made a mistake. This lady made it to 5th place in season 3 (2005) of Canadian Idle.

Furby, sent me a message and cleared the fog a little with some links.

Here is an interesting article on the same contestant and NB contenders up to 2008. Since it's a 2008 article.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theampersand/archive/2008/06/23/no-canadian-idol-for-new-brunswick.aspx

:D :D Sad, but true. Apparently.  ;)

What I was actually recalling was an actress who went to audition for a TV show with CBC television. I don't recall the name, she was only on a radio interview which I can't dig up on web searches.  :-\ I don't ever watch CBC because of bad reception, and nothing really of interest to me on it anyway.

You guys take up all my spare time. :D So, in essence it's all your fault. Now that we cleared that up, onto your regularly scheduled lifestyles. :D ;)

weimedog

Quote from: Jeff on January 29, 2011, 03:57:54 PM
I can't figure out a statement like that.  Lost interest in American Idol. If not for Idol, you would never have known about her. Who cares who wins in the end. Its about the music.

Very true..a more rational view! :) Just was  disappointed way more that makes any sense! AND....when time allows, I'll be listening to...Crystal Bowersox CD's and Carrie Underwood CD's..lol and a bunch more. It is about the music and this venue has changed the way that industry works..in a more positive way I think.

Samuel

I admit I watch Idol as well...more dedicated to the auditions as I find them very entertaining- some people are just so bad, but they think they are super starts.   :D
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Dan_Shade

My cousin, Chris Lopez, is on American Idol this evening. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can honestly say.....I have NEVER missed any AMERICAN IDOL airing. I even have a few on DVR i've saved.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This year on AMERICAN IDOL.....watch out for the " WOLF " !
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Burlkraft

I liked The Wolf!

It looks to be another exciting season!

Thank You Sponsors!