iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Attention All Fishermen

Started by Fla._Deadheader, December 06, 2003, 03:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

That pretty good Tom, wonder if anyone ever caught them.
When my son was 5 yrs old a friend and I took him cat fishin at a creek that we new there was alot of small mudcats. He was fishin and we were b.s. ing ;D. He got a bite and told me and told me even louder and then told me it was a big one. I told him reel him in, thinking it was a small one. The next thing we know the fish pulled him in and under, I jump up and went in and grabbed him. There I was holding him and he still had the pole in his hands and the fish still on. ??? I help him get the fish in, it was a 30 inch channel cat. :o We look at it for awhile and turn it loose. I took him home(to my x wife) gave him a big hug and left. Unfortunatly, the next day when I was at work the cops came and got me out of work and I spent 10 days in jail for child indanger. :o I was'nt aloud to see him again until he was 16.
EZ

Tom

I can understand the X causing trouble but put you away for 10 days?  Man! What gestapo town did you pay your taxes in?

EZ

I think my x was sleeping with the mayor.  :D :D :D O-well I have no problem with her anymore being my son is grown up and she lives down your way. ;D
EZ

ARKANSAWYER

I head down to the Arkansas River several times a year to molest them big cats down there.  Often in a night we will land one over 50 lbs and I have come close a time or two of making the state record.   I have several blues over 80lbs to my credit.   Some where I have a photo of a flathead the covers all of the tail gate of my 79 Ford F150.  I catch alot of these drums while chasing the cats.   The eat good and have a light and fluffy  meat if fried fast and eaten hot.   I clean them with my pressure washer at home now since the duck cleaning deal at the carwash. ;D
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

litewood

arkansawer where on the arkansas river do you fish?always wanted to hit place outside aways from russellville dartenelle i think it is where the power plant is in winter for blues usually fish the dams here in okie land and never tried it any farther than the dam outside ft smith barling I still haven't caught an 80 blue have hooked them as far as i know on rod and reel but in the past alot were never weighed.got big ones on trotlines/snag though.
I bought a rubber tank last spring to keep in truck because i was going to bust a 100 lb blue this year and keep it for pond(wife thought it was funny).year isn't up yet!
you can't use a boat anywhere closer than end of lock wall or I would have had several in the past but they were to big to turn.
here are afew cat stories
had a taker one night  at base of dam using a large crappie for bait i set the hook and fish jerked me off sidewalk ito the logs and rocks below wondered what all bones were broke held rod a 15 ft with one hand until i could get up, walked fish about 3/4 mile down river he fianlly took all line.
kerr outside sallisaw one night had a small boat run it to riprap just past lock wall plenty of current to much flood gates rolling so we fished off rocks at very end boat was about 75/100 yds up baited with two shad about a foot long as it was sinking hog grabbed it had to let him take all line and had only 40 lb stren(new line that day) but started wondering if it would ever break,fish was pulling me inoff end.

had been hand fishing and we were in about 8 or 9 ft of water bobbing and swimming we were  going to a ledge by a point when one came off bottom and grabbed me size 12 tennnis shoe in mouth  up to middle of shin and jerked me down buddies said I was a puss cause I didn't just pin him to bottom (what I did was kick loose with other foot and set a new underwater back stroke record) if it would have been waist or chest deep and i was hunting one at the time i would have been ready!over chest highthey control you.
had one at a lake one night in a shallow cove that was munching shad thats where shad went at night  in summer at that place millions of them and big fish ate bunches at a time   its 3 am and something slams side of boat(a twelve ft aluminum) and moves it ,hits several times.broadside boat starts to lean hard going to tip overi had to lean into whatever it was.in the dark.had a lantern in a holder hooked to seat it knocked it loose.usually nothing scares me that did! I was talking to fisheries biologists on phone that morning.and they said they believed me and knew about the bigger ones said when shocking they didn't even try to get in boats.losts of folks don't think they get much over a hundred i know better.
ever see any of the old mississippi fish dock pictures? afew must have been 300lb or more an wifes grandpaw and uncles were commercial fishermen and he had some pix of some huge fish.
I want a monster!!!!!
have a reel holds 650 yards of 80 test but you can't cast it at dam but can use it with styrofoam boat mine has a crank handle but diawa has a rig for it for  deep sea for big boys with a battery powered winch setup.*smile*  
biggun's never hit on it only on my rods with reels that don't hold enough line to last them out,sooner or later though.

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D  HA  And Y'all just THOUGHT Gator divin was risky ::) ::) ::) ::)Them water kitty's don't really EAT ya, they just wanna SMOOCH ya  ::) :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

L. Wakefield

snip

I clean them with my pressure washer at home now since the duck cleaning deal at the carwash. ;D
ARKANSAWYER

????? I missed that story. Can you tell it again?  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

ARKANSAWYER

:D :D :D :D  I will make a long story short.  A few years ago I went duck and goose hunting in eastern Arkansas. (big time ducks and geese over there)  I did well and on the way home I stopped by the carwash to clean the gumbo off of my truck and boat from coming across the fields.  It was there that I noticed that the feet of the ducks fit in the clamps on the walls for car matts.  So most quick and $2 later I had my ducks cleaned. ;D  Next time I was at the car wash there was a sign that said "NO DUCK CLEANING.  Clean your ducks here again and your goose will be cooked!"   So I bought a pressure washer and have found all kinds of uses for it.
    I fish around Toad Suck and down to Little Rock around Cook's.  There are some grain  loading docks down there and the fish eat the beans that fall into the river.  I found that bream the size of your hands and skip shad about 8 to 10 inches long work best for large cats.  I use 25 lb mono line as I can get 300 yards on my Penn reel and it cast well.  I can sit at the 300 ft mark below the lock & dam and bounce a bream and 3 oz sinker off of the concrete.   Since I fish from a boat I can chase after them.  I like to jug fish  for them and it is a good way to spend the night.  Have to watch out for them barges as they throw a good wake.

ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

ScottAR

Ducks and rice are our big thing...We have several farmers that turn their rice fields into duck fields for the winter to make extra money...  
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

litewood

liked the duck cleaning story!
around here its mostly channels and small blues eating the soybeans and other grain where they load and unload the barges.but its also where the shad hang .if you thrownet them and use bigger ones live occasionally you get the bigger blues but the babys munch all the cut bait  have caught afew nice flathads there and nice largemouth bass
   the bigger fish seem to like the back lock wall mostly and the blowhole .
at robert s kerr dam you have the generators then The spillway weir has a net length of 900 feet and is surmounted by eighteen 50- by 44-foot-high tainter gates. The gates are separated by seventeen 10-foot piers just to get to the wall ...
and webberdam is to far to cast its generators then The weir is surmounted by twelve 50- by 41-foot-high tainter gates. The gates are separated by eleven 10-foot intermediate piers (copyed the weir stuff from corps page)they don't allow boats anywhere at dam until end of locks so you use styro boats to haul live bait out.or throw as far as you can.sometimes you need 6/8 ozs or more of weight and it drifts slow need a pound or more lead to hold at wall by generators and if they are cranking you can't hold you just drift until you hung in rocks near shore.
 have alot of luck stomping a live large green sunfish and while its fresh and if any water is running its heck on flatheadsand blues seems to work better than live
.best jugging i ever had is up the river abit where the vertigris has a little lock and from it to the arkansas.I remember the first time.didn't know you needed a somthing like a gaffhook on a stick or someone with you to grab the jugs..hard to run them down with nothing but a big motor they ran from it.

fishing is  number one on my list of things to do!

then its woodworking (make lots of kindlin'..and half started projects) like  to make things that make smaller children gasp stuff that has a surprise movement wiggle wobble mechanical.like birds wings flap or beaver tail flops anything off beat.been busy lately doing this.I don't use plans much although will look at a book but always do it my way,(sometimes it would be best to try things like the plan/books show )saves mistakes.
anyone have any ideas for things like this,description of something you have seen??
thanks

Fla._Deadheader

Litewood, Where's the pics??? ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bro. Noble

Litewood,

My father-in-law used to make wooden toys.  Two of my favorites were the peckerwood that descends a brazing rod (pecking all the way) and a 'bull grinder'.  They are both common but I would still play with them if I had one :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

I wish some of you guys would put the plans for those toys, and maybe some pictures too, in the knowledge base.  One of these days some kid is gonna want to know what a Bull Grinder is and nobody will be able to tell him. :)

Paul_H

I don't know what it is,but was afraid to ask :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

dail_h

I made my first one in school shop over thirty years ago and they still facinate me. Guess it don't take much to occupie  a simple mind huh
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Tom

I always looked upon them as an enternal combustion engine with twice the cylinders and half the pistons :D  Wish I could figure out someway to make it work :P :D

litewood

Got to ask what is a bullgrinder????????
woodpecker hooked to spring goes down rod I know.

don't have a digital camera or would put up some pictures.

did talk to a lady in her 80's about toys from wood the yard
/maintance man made for her when she was about 5 or 6
one she called a walking man dowel in his back movable legs and arms you walk him around.
  dancing man  its a jointed man  you stand him on a flexible paddle shaped like a flyswatter tuck handle under your leg while sitting and tap it and guy dances flops around she told me how she cryed when it broke.may have to make her one.
  a chicken shape on both outsides pieces with a spacer in middle with cut out to fit  circle of wood  with 5 or 6  legs ending at outside edge of circle like a wheel just drill a hole through sides it and center of circle glue a dowel and legs go around like its walking

any other odd toys???a picture or description of what it does would be nice.
lite

Tom

A "Do Nothing" machine or Bull Grinder looks like this.

WoodChucker

This is a 88 1/2 pound catfish my cousin and I caught on a trot-line about 35 years ago. My uncle was a commercial fishermen and this fish was taken out of the Tenn/Kentucky Lake, at least I think that was the name of it, thats what we called it anyway. We thought we were dragging a log in, but when we tried to get it into the boat it came alive and pulled a hook all the way through my cousins hand. It was tangled in the line and had about 10 hooks in him so we figured it wasn't going anywhere. We went back to the boat landing and got a 22cal rifle and came back and shot him in the head so we could get him in the boat. Sounds cruel now, but we were just kids at the time, but it sure was fun seeing that big sucker. lol. After I came back home my uncle got one that was 102 pounds. I seen pictures of it but don't have one to show you. I don't know how true this is, but we were told that divers had seen catfish in that lake so big that you couldn't step across there head! Best guess was near 200 pounds. That thing would have to look like a shark. I don't know what the record is for a catfish, but I do know back then a record wasn't a big deal to these guys, it was just money in there pockets.

R.T.

If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

etat

Showed the picture of the catfish to the wife.  She was impressed as I was.  That's a LOT of fish.   :) :) :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

WoodChucker

QuoteShowed the picture of the catfish to the wife.  She was impressed as I was.  That's a LOT of fish.   :) :) :)

Thanks cktake, glad you guys enjoyed it.

I've had a lot of fun over the years with that pic. When the big fish stories would start I'd whip that picture out and it would really turn some heads. Once in a while if the bull got to deep I'd just leave off the part about it being caught on a trot-line and say I caught using a pole and 8 pound test line, then just add " ya just gotta know how to play them big ones" LOL.

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

etat

:D :D :D :DYes Sir, All's fair in fishin stories, but with proof like that you could have a LOT of fun!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

litewood

thats a nice fish!
I tell folks up at the dam if they catch a 100 lb plus fish with my name on his side be sure to turn him loose needless to say its worth a few strange looks and then some believe it when others back me
I will have to ask wifes uncle if he has the pictures that his dad had  my favorites were the huge alligator gars.

Stan

Biggest one I caught wasn't very, but I was fishin' for bluegills at the time. Ran outa worms and put on one of them phony ones that are made of powerbait. Cast out to a stump in the water and there he was. A tornado was threatin' so I horsed him up to the bank. That #10 aberdeen hook straightened out, and I lost the toughest fish in the pond.  :'(
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

ARKANSAWYER

Whitey and I were down on the Arkansas River for a big catfishing trip last summer.  We went and caught a  few dozen bream on cricketts for bait for the catfish.  The bream were bitting good so it did not take  us long and we had some time before dark.  Whitey says" Let's put on some crawdad crank baits and hit that shale bank and see if we can catch some small jaws".  So we motored over and started casting and cacthing some small jaws most quick.  There was a log laying on the bank that jutted out into the water and looked like hawg heaven so I made a few cast at it, but nothing.  Then I noticed a pecan sitting on the log just above water level.  About then I notice a fox squirrel comming down the bank toward that log.  I told Whitey to watch and it that squirrel headed for that pecan I was going to throw my lure over there and try to snag him.   That squirrel jumped on that log and started sneaking down toward the water where the pecan lay.   I pulled back and was just about to cast as the squirrel got to the pecan when the river just blew up.  This catfish jumped up and took that squirrel right off that log as slick as any thing I ever saw.  If that fish weighed a pound he weighed 50.  We's just looked at each other  mouths wide open and could not believe what we just had seen.  Directly we hear splashing over by the log and looked and that catfish was putting the pecan back on the log. :D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!