iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Detroit running rough

Started by rick f, January 27, 2011, 07:11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick f

OK guys I just changed fuel filters cause I didn't know when they were last changed and she was lossing power. After 6 hours of frigging with it I got it running ( the gasket had a twist in it so it was getting air). Now it runs good at an idel and going in the woods ( no load) but when I get a hitch on she boggs down bad, it's like it is starving for fuel. No smoke, she skips and farts and dies out , slip it to nutrel and wait for it to either clear itself or pickup the fuel again. When it does this it sounds like she drops a cylinder or 2, but no smoke. Any ideas what it could be?
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

grassfed

Sounds like you still have air getting in from somewhere.
Mike

NB sawdust

Sounds like it is starving for fuel.Not knowing what machine it is I'll offer a few things to try.

If you have already changed the filters ,I would follow the fuel lines and find out what one is the supply line. Follow it along and see if it has a sediment bowl or a water seperator, these will freeze if they have water in them. Take it apart and clean the ice out.There may also be a check valve along the way, these can freeze as well ,open it up and clean/inspect.If you had any water in the bottom of your fuel tank it would have froze and the ice may be blocking the pickup.Blow air back down your fuel line towards the tank to clear it.Be sure there is no check valve first, if there is blow air in behind this point.If this works, I would advise you to drain and thaw your tank to get the water out.Give her lots of fuel treat!

If none of this works let us know and we'll give you a few more things to check, and maybe you have done all this??Good luck , and take care!!!
                           Brad

rick f

Thanks guys,
I already blowed back through the lines. extra 5 gals of karo, bottle of 911.
I'm thinking a pin hole in a line, the braided one between the back and front end looks real suspect as it is rusted real bad.

This is in my 664 clark skidder, 3-53  1967 model.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

rick f

Sawdust you got snow upp there this morning? about 6" and the wind is blowing about 20 mph, it'll drift cause it's real light stuff.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

NB sawdust

yup, lots of snow!! They are calling for a foot of snow by the end of the day.Seems like we're getting our share this year .... snow is waist deep in the woods around here.

It's kinda crude , but if you gear up a fuel line right off of the pump into a fuel jug it will tell you if it's your lines/tank or in the engine compartment.....just a thought.Best of luck!!

rick f

I may have to try that. or take that line off and put the pressure to it and see if it will hold.

rick
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

grassfed

QuoteI'm thinking a pin hole in a line

My 440b was low on power under a load but ran OK otherwise. It had pinholes on the fuel line where it ran on the top of the fuel tank to the pick up tube. I made a new line and it ran fine.
Mike

sandhills

Might check the air intake also, one of our power units did the same thing, the screen was plugged.  Can't remember why or with what, it was years ago, but spent three days screwing around with everything else and it took about 10 minutes to fix :-\

lumberjack48

I had this happen to my S8, 353, it would pull its self, but when i hooked on to something it would power out. I put new filters, blow out the lines, didn't help, i was pulling my hair out, So i ran fuel line from the motor to the fuel tank, took a pop can ,cut it in 2, made a hole for the fuel line to go through and stuck on the tank, the ole 353 came to life and ran prefect. [ what was wrong ??]

I though it had to be some where in the fuel line, so i ran a new line all the way[ engine to fuel tank] got it all back together, hit the starter button , it sounded good.
The wife was happy she got her horse back, we got all geared up to pull wood, 10  minutes later here she comes back with no drag, same thing no power!!!!!!!!

I got the tools out, where the fuel line hooks on top the tank, i took that off, then pulled the drop line out of the tank.
Well in the elbow i found a little stick stuck cross ways, this is what was wrong.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

also check the return line. it will return more fuel to the tank than it uses there is a restridtion fitting in the head without that it would return to nuch. if fuel lines are old replace them. check emerencry stop.could put guadge in secendary fuel filter housing. use oil press ga.10 idle 65 wide open they use a gear pump for fuel

rick f

Thanks for the replys.
Can I use copper tubing for new fuel lines or is this a bad idea?
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

Reddog

Copper wears out faster and is more prone to being dented shut.

lumberjack48

I replaced my fuel lines with hyd hose
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

rick f

was it braided or just reg rubber?
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

lumberjack48

Rubber, all one line from motor to tank

treefarmer87

Mine has been running rough :( i changed all the filters and oil today and that fixed it. then the clutch went out :( we swapped master cylinders and fixed it :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

snowstorm

Quote from: rick f on January 27, 2011, 05:55:05 PM
Thanks for the replys.
Can I use copper tubing for new fuel lines or is this a bad idea?
no but air brake line is fine uses compression fittings toughter than a bag full of hammers.

bushmechanic

If you suspect the fuel tank or the fuel lines to the engine here is a quick elimination to see if that is your trouble.Take a can of fuel and a length of good 3/8 fuel line and put the can above the engine either on the bonnet or the roof of the machine.Now siphon the fuel and put that line right on to the filter housing where the line comes from the machine's fuel tank.Now fire her up and try it,the 353 is self priming and will sputter for a while and then go on fine.Put the blade into the dirt and see if it stalls out and if it works o.k. then you know your tank or lines must be the trouble,if it stalls easily the it is likely you have trouble from the filters into the engine.Check if there is a 90 degree fitting going into your filter housing because these are notorious for collecting dirt.I wouldn't go with copper lines,it can't viberation well.

donny hochstetler

I think you have algee in your tank, or sludge breaking up, and restricting your flow of fuel.  I had my skidder do the same thing several years ago, and just last week, our d5c was doing the same thing for my bro.,  you can buy something to break this up, and move it through the system, but you have to change fuel filters several times, till it clears up. you can get it at your bulk fuel supplier, I forget what its called, comes in a small bottle with two caps,   2 ounces will treat like forty gallons .My bro. messed with this problem off  an on for two weeks ,till I found out,  and told him about this stuff, fixed it for 20.00, an it only took 2 minutes.

timbuck2

Fuel line can get pinched especially under the batteries, creats all kinds of  wierd  events. Runs great downhill, like crap uphill and so on.

i had kinda the same problem on a 230 TJ. after a new set of filters and the same reoccurence i finally noticed (by chance) that somewhere as i was backing up, a hardwood limb got in between the hinge  plates and kinked the fuel line to near breaking point.

Removed stick, cut 2 inches off the hose  at the tank valve and went twitchin' another inch or two however and it would probably have torn the valve off the tank.

Wasted no time welding on an extra guard.

Thank You Sponsors!