iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Nails

Started by oregonsawer, January 26, 2011, 12:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oregonsawer

Why don't some one make a ban that will saw
nails?
What is the problem with a metal saw ban?

I saw a lot of town logs and so a lot of nails.
I have a lot of ruined bans.
Don't know if it is worth it or not.

Oregonsawer
lt70 remote.

Qweaver

My metal cutting bandsaw uses blades with 16 to 24 TPI and very little hook or set in the teeth.  It would gum up pretty fast on wood. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

I'm afraid that nails just go with the territory when sawing urban grown logs.  Sometimes rural grown logs also.

Of course, I don't buy logs and am always sawing the customer's logs.  It is understood before we start that the cost is $25 for each band that hits a nail.  Doesn't matter if it can be resharpened or not.  I have down/changing time that has to be accounted for.

I realize that I did not address your question as asked.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Qweaver has the answer to the question. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_S.

FPM speed too....wood bandsaws cut at a higer blade speed.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Ironwood

Some bands have may have brazed teeth, and will cut nails and wood but $$$$$ big money and will be shot if nail is too big or it is a lag bolt or worse ceramic insulators. Yikes. Ask some of the guys cutting reclaimed, stelite comes to mind, perhaps someone has a link or experience.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

redbeard

I use lennox 3 tpi .045  carbide 70.00-90.00. resharpen costs 35.00 ea. blade only good for 3 times, Anything over 16p nails is hard on them and ripping nails gets them dull quicker but they buzz right through the small stuff. Usually when you here the zing sound i will pull the metal out of last cut, you dont want the planner to hit the metal, one way or another you got to get the metal out. I mostly use the carbides for cleaning the sides of the beams and making cants out of cedar telephone poles. Cross cutting burls they work really good plus you get a very smooth finish. All the carbides are priced about the same as the stellite blades. 
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

oregonsawer

well I guess that answer my question.
Thank you guys.

Banjo picker

You probably cut more metal than you actually know about...Up front I will say that I don't hear as well as I use to....I cut some white oak for my youngest son over the holidays...He built a nice deck out of it...When I went to look at it...Low and behold there was a couple of blue boards...I checked closer after seeing the color...and there was the metal...I had not even noticed it when I cut the boards ...and the saw kept the secret...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

logman

I've resawn quite a bit of reclaimed timbers and I use Woodmizer .055 7 degree blades.  I can zip thru quite a few nails before I need to change my blade.  I keep cutting until the blade starts cutting wavy or dives.  I also try and pull any nails I see but can't get them all.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Thank You Sponsors!