iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

7X4 Sawing Scale

Started by Wintergreen Mountain, January 26, 2011, 12:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wintergreen Mountain

I have a lot of people asking  me to saw 7x4 (1 3/4"). They are using it for upper barn floor decks.

I made up a quick paper scale to put on my mill. It works great.
Does anybody make and sell a quality scale wiith 7x4 included?

LEON
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

Chuck White

Leon;
I asked that question a couple years ago.

The scale on my mill is for sawing 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 & 8/4, why not 7/4?

The reply I got was "not much call for 7/4" !
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I saw a considerable amount for trailer, bridge, and barn decking.  Of course I cheat.  I have SetWorks.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

Quote from: Magicman on January 26, 2011, 01:53:51 PM
I saw a considerable amount for trailer, bridge, and barn decking.  Of course I cheat.  I have SetWorks.   ;D

Yes the setworks makes my mind get lazy but I don't mind.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

But with SetWorks, you gotta start at the right height so that the "dog board" will be 7/4 also.  Those AccuSet folks are the ones that are cheating.   ;D

LEON, Some times sawyers with a manual mill will take tape, etc. and scribe their own.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

I start so the dog board is a little thick, turn it over and saw to the right thickness.  I know that takes a bit more time but that dog board has fat ends a lot and I know board with fat ends are no fun to plane.
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

laffs

i just painted  scales on boards and hang them on the shed then if im cutting something and make a cant thats to small or something  i just go by one of the scales on the bards rather than reset my dial
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

tyb525

My LT10 has a ruler decal for a scale, so I have to allow for kerf. I made marks with a sharpie at every 1 1/8" interval in order to end up with a dog board that is 4/4 also, since I saw 4/4 more than anything else.

If I need to saw a different thickness, I can usually just count it out on the ruler pretty easily, just add 1/8". I plan on making some moveable scales from yardsticks, once in awhile I need one but don't have one, so I have to count it out for every cut. I've gotten pretty quick at that though.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Larry

I've made maybe twenty different scales for my Kasco.  Make em on the table saw and takes bout 10 minutes including painting.

More pictures in my gallery of scales and the jig I use on the table saw to make them.  Think I posted one time how to do it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

With much sawing, you will just remember (in your head) the run down to the dog board. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Larry, do you also build guitars?  You have made a very nice start.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!