iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1/4 sawing on a band mill?

Started by Just Me, January 26, 2011, 08:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Me

I've helped a friend of mine 1/4 saw with his circle mill a few times, supposedly the very first Corley ever built, and was wondering how the most efficient process goes with a band mill. Can't see it being much different but everyone I know with a band mill just plain saws. When I saw for myself I will want 1/4 sawn mostly so I was wondering the process you use. Removing the 1/4's off of his mill was fairly easy, but seems it would be more difficult with a band mill.

Thanks, Larry

tyb525

I know other's have some good diagrams. There are at least 2 ways to do it.

1. Quarter the log (you might have to take a few trim cuts if it is too wide for the throat). Then clamp those quarters in the orientation that will be closest to quarter sawn. Then after every cut you rotate the quarter, and take a trim cut, in order to get as close to quarter sawn as possible. It makes a lot of waste and takes a lot of time, but you get the best results this way.

2. Take a cut or two off each side to get 4 flat faces. Then cut the log in half. You could saw a board or two off the face of the two cants you now have. You then cut the halfs in half, and saw from the face that will give you the most boards closest to 1/4 sawn.

That's my understanding of it, however I'm sure other's have better methods. It's hard for me to 1/4 saw much of anything on my mill unless it is about 17" or smaller, and on logs that small it's hard to get much 1/4 sawn material.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Wrangler55

Do some google searches and you'll find a lot of information about quartersawing on a band mill.  When I started, I just picked out the quartersawn boards because some of the boards will always have quartersawn oriented grain.  Then I made a jig. It's a simple box triangle made from plywood 5 or 6 ft long.  A quartered log will have a 45 degree edge when the quarter is turned on edge.  The apex of the quarter is toward the jig and the quarter is held firmly. My jig is just wide enough to span two log stops and one dog holds the quarter slab.  Then I take off boards till I get to the center of the quarter, remove the jig, turn the flat side down and again saw from the top till I get back to the middle.  There is some waste from small boards at the top and bottom of the quarter. I think oak and sycamore make the best looking quartersawn lumber. Oh, glue and screw your jig together, then after the glue dries, take out the screws and drive in dowels... Sooner or later, you'll cut too far and hit the jig... Which I've never done, and anyway I wasn't even there when it happened...

The Woodmizer site has some great infomation about quartersawing.  The method they use reduces the amount of handling for the heavy quarters.  Most of the logs I want to quartersaw have to be split before they fit on my sawmill anyway.

Hal
I'm so covered with sawdust, my nickname should be dusty...

tyb525

Just to add to what Hal said, Beech can have nice quarter sawn figure too. I've heard of sawyers quarter sawing walnut, I guess instrument makers like it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

There are many different ways/ideas.  I have diagrams that I show the customer and let them decide.  The one that I prefer is to take a few slices from the center of the squared cant.  Remove these and flip 90°.  Take a few slices from the center and remove these.  Then flat/rift saw the 4 remaining smaller cants.

This method does not get all of the available ¼ sawn lumber available, but all of the boards are equal in size and there is no waste except for the pith in the first boards removed.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Forum searches are better. You are aready where the answers are. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Larry

What Jeff said, as there are a lot of different ways.

Mills with big throats have an advantage over some mills. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on January 26, 2011, 09:00:58 AM
....  Then flat/rift saw the 4 remaining smaller cants.  .....
These rift sawn cants may give good furniture leg stock in that the grain appearance on all 4 faces may be similar.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SwampDonkey

Arkansawyer, Bibby and Tom and a whole bunch more have lots of talk on quarter sawing right here. Won't get any better.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Printed out pages of those different methods are what I show the customer.  It's a lot easier to explain when you have a picture.   And when they see all of the illustrations, they generally choose the method that I described in Reply #4 above.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Slingshot

Here is a You-tube video showing quarter-sawing an oak log
on a Woodmizer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O01vkDEMoyY

redbeard

Nice informative video, The best step he talked about is leveling the pith or log center from the deck, Not sure why he didn't cut log down center again he went up a few inches it gave him wider boards but it also gave him the center in a couple of them i think that's what he was calling shake.He didn't show how you do the smaller quarters he pushed off, when there like that in a pie shape he has to cut the boards off the deck, which means set the blade a inch off deck clamp the pie shape, saw, raise up return, flip to other flat side, clamp lower head to 1"saw and keep repeating.I prefer to cant the log then split it into 4 smaller cants flip them but saw from the top down not off the deck. Basically your trying to keep the end grain 60-90 degree on your boards. You get a few wider boards that way but your cutting alot of bark.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ATLGA

Slingshot,
I really enjoyed your video. Thank you for sharing it with us.
America First.

northwoods1

Quote from: ATLGA on January 27, 2011, 02:56:34 AM
Slingshot,
I really enjoyed your video. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I've been to that guys place and he gave me a tour of his log home and operation. He is , or was, a forester by profession. He was doing real well by recovering what would be considered normal waste in most logging operations , such as short pieces and butts. He would haul them home and saw them into flooring. When I was there he was busy turning pen blanks and making pens , and supplying local shops with them at $20+ per piece. He couldn't keep up with the demand. Doesn't sound like much, making pens I mean, but it didn't take very long to make one. That big old barn in the background , a portion of it has a large humidity & temp controlled room which is packed floor to ceiling with a variety of wood he has scavenged from all over then sawed , dried, and planed. Lot of short stuff , but a true woodworkers dream come true as far as a hoard of wood goes. Very knowledgeable guy , but I saw some things that really puzzled me. Like redbeard was saying , when I was there I tried to explain to him that a heart being in a board was not a good thing and he could not understand the concept or why. Also, his log house he built it out of large diameter aspen. Aspen shrinks a tremendous amount and most would know that it is not a very good choice for a log home. The radial shrinking of it caused huge cracks to open up in the walls, all I could think of was boy that was a disaster. But the floor he had in there... unreal! Wide hardwood and all of it curly. All mixed species. I have never seen such a spectacular floor anywhere. He also wrote a book called "Full Vigor Forestry" regarding forest management from a landowners point of view. A lot of it had to do with his ideas about forming cooperatives for landowners to help manage and market their wood , some of his ideas where kind of controversial.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: northwoods1 on January 27, 2011, 08:08:21 AM
He also wrote a book called "Full Vigor Forestry" regarding forest management from a landowners point of view. A lot of it had to do with his ideas about forming cooperatives for landowners to help manage and market their wood , some of his ideas where kind of controversial.

The cooperative thing has been the scenario up here and in many European countries for years. The thing that sets it apart in Europe is they are in control of the processing end as well as the management and marketing.

We have 7 regional marketing boards and coops here in NB. That's the only way a woodlot owner is going to have his say. If he goes it alone than he never gets heard. But the industry would like to crush any kind of coop. They've been trying to here, but the coops still hold firm. Things are just about to go another round if some current issues, issues on-going since 1993, don't get ironed out. The last time we marched on the legislature the government shut the doors to us for 4 years.  :-X

I have never read the book, but I have heard that title used before. I don't know if there is a connection. It sometimes leaves a bitter taste in ones mouth. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

yes, you are where you can get an answer to your question
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

laffs

if someone had a resaw then quarter swing would be a sinche. other than that its pita. if the log is big enough you could square it then cut out the center and go from there.

i read a lot of stuff on timber green farm the guy made good money on the flooring thing he says
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Dave Shepard

For the big logs, I split the log into quarters with a chainsaw. I then saw the corners off on the mill (LT40) to get a quartered cant. Then I flip back and forth to maximize the yield of figured boards. On smaller logs, ones that I can take slabs off on the mill, I make as big a cant as I can, even if it is really waney, then quarter it through the pith in both directions.

A big sycamore being quartered:

Quarter sawn sycamore:

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Wrangler55

I was re-reading this message thread this morning while I was drinking my coffee and realized the way I used to cut quartersawn boards with a jig is a thing of the past! I was using a Timberking B-20 with hydraulics and now I have a 1220 with 100% hand labor.  I won't be loading and unloading quarters of a log any more and I don't have a skidsteer to move big log sections.  I've got several big oaks and sycamores to quartersaw, so I'm going to have to work out a new technique.  I've got a red oak log about 40" at the butt and 30' long, down and it's going to make the floors in my old farm house look fantastic about a year from now.

Hal
I'm so covered with sawdust, my nickname should be dusty...

Bibbyman

I've developed my way of quarter sawing.  Arky does it about the same. 

Here is a big and ugly white oak butt cut ready to quarer saw.

I don't see any need in dealing with all that ugly bark and junk on the outside so I make it into a tapered octigon.

I then cut off the top third and scoot it off onto the loading arms.  I cut a few full widht boards out of the middle until I start to loose the quarter sawn grain.  Then I turn the bottom third up and take a few boards out of the middle of it.  Then I saw up the the two corners that are left.  The octigon flat comes in handy at this point.   I repeat for the top third I slid off from the first cut.

I got more pics somewhere.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

flibob

It all sounds complicated to us newbies.  I think I am going to scrounge 6-8 foot tops from a neighbor and try these different methods to see how it goes.  The tops won't make much but the price is right(free) and they are easy to handle.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

SwampDonkey

During WWII, the pilots practicing with dropping "the bomb" said they couldn't hit the right target. The captain says, "We never tried it before. They say, practice makes perfect. We'll practice it until we get it right". ;D

Just Me

The octagon that Bibbyman discribes is what I had imagined as a way to reference the rest of the work.  Then I was  kind of stuck on how one could saw the rest but the 45 degree wedge someone mentioned rang a bell. I was thinking some sacrificial 45 degree Vee's that you could just saw through that were clamped to the bed. Could be any junk wood really, say old OSB or other plywood. Just thinking. Anyway I don't know how stable the wood sawn has to be as far as clamps but I was also wondering with the plywood holding the 1/4's why you could then not cut two at a time with double 45 degree knotches on one sacrificial piece. The pieces could be made in two minutes, two at a time, with a tablesaw and chop box.Just thinking out loud.

It does seem a bit more difficult with a band mill, but as you all have shown, do'able. I love to see peoples different solutions to the same problem, makes the mind churn.

Thanks again, Larry

Bibbyman

By making the log into an octagon first, you end up with flat services on the four odd corners that you can clamp properly to get more quarter sawn boards from them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WDH

I wanted to add some thoughts on this thread.  I had a white oak that was in serious decline, so I harvested it before the bugs got to it.  The bucked logs ranged from 15" to 17" on the small end, so these were not large by any means when it comes to quartersawing.

I slabbed the log to give the octagon shape, and sliced about 3 or four wide quartersawn boards right from the middle of the log. 

You can see the top third of the cant laying off to the side of the mill on the right.   I left the pith in the wide boards (12" - 15" wide) because I have found that leaving the pith in helps the board dry straight.  It can be sliced out when the board is planed down from the rough for use.  The resulting quartersawn boards from the top and bottom third were very nice, but only 5 1/2" to 6" wide. 

I found that trying to cut perfect quartersawn boards from the the top and bottom wedges from the top and botton third of the cant was marginal.  The boards are really too narrow to be of much appeal as most woodworkers do not want to buy boards that are only 3 1/2" wide, even if quartersawn.  So, I found that the best approach was to skip the octagoning step and make a four sided cant.  Then saw out the wide quartersawn boards from the middle.  Then flip up the top and bottom thirds and saw down through.  You only get one flatsawn board from the top and bottom of each third and the rest of the boards are riftsawn or quartersawn.  That is very good in white oak as woodworkers like rift sawn grain to make legs for furniture.  This pic shows some of the more rift sawn 8/4 that is still a very valuable cut. 

One bigger logs, it makes sense to go the octagon route and produce the maximum amount of quartersawn as you have the width in the cant to get boards that are at least 5" wide from the wedges.  Otherwise, I find that the modified quartersawing method is more practical and still yields over 80% rift and quartersawn grain.  What I call rift grain in the above picture actually technically qualifies as quartersawn, but the ray fleck is not as pronounced unless the growth rings are perfectly perpendicular to the long face of the board.  You get more of a "speckled" effect than long ribbons of ray fleck.  However, I like that "speckled" ray fleck look too.  I got some real nice boards from these logs.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!