iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4-Board Fence my Norwood Built.

Started by Planman1954, January 25, 2011, 02:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

Thanks Planman.  You fenced in just a bit over 1/8th acre.  The fence sure looks good but would be much too labor intensive for me to enclose the area I'm thinking about.  I certainly wouldn't want to feed the goats at all, preferring them to take care of the underbrush.  I'll have to come up with another type of fence... thinking high-tension or electric.  I'll need something that will be able to be moved.  I'm also thinking coyotes will give the goats a problem at night.  Don't want to build a barn for them.  I've heard mules will keep away the nocturnal preditors, but again, I don't need to feed a mule either!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

thecfarm

loghog1717,welcome to the forum. Do have a mill?
grweldon,I brought cattle panels for tractor supply,they are $22 now,I think I brought them on sale for $16,16 feet by 50 inches. I used double ended clips to hold them together. I brought 4 and would move the panels as needed. But I did have a shed and about 30 foot pen for them too. They did a good job keeping the bushes down. No idea what you have for goat people,but I do know the goats needs to be handled by people and bottle fed to get them to bond with humans. We had some both ways and the ones that was handled was just like a dog.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grweldon

Thecfarm, I'm talking about 5-10 acres...  Most likely high-tension with 2 electrified strands...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

thecfarm

That is a lot of space. I probaby moved my around on an acre. The first 3 goats we had we could turn them loose and they would stay out back where they belonged,well really 2 would stay out there. The other would follow me all over the place like a dog. The next 2 wanted to eat the wifes flowers and the garden. That's where the panels came in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Planman1954

Well, I'm at it again! It's been a couple of years since I built the 4 board pine fence. Within the next year, I hope to begin building a LONG version of the fence across the field between my sister's house and my house. The only difference is I am using white oak and post oak for the posts. Here's a photo of some logs I went and hauled to my mill. I found them on craigslist from a fellow cutting down trees around his property. He wanted them removed, and I was happy to remove them! The timing was a little early for the project, but hey, this gives them plenty of time to dry:

And here's a photo of some of the 4x6 posts:

It'll be a while before I'll show any progress photos since I don't plan on starting the fence for another year.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

grweldon

I forgot to ask last go-around, but what sort of preservative are you using to treat the end of the posts that will go in to the ground and are you using any sort of footings?

Planman1954

No preservative needed this time! That's why I'm using white oak and post oak. I've been told it'll last 50 years in the ground...longer than me I hope! I plan on putting a little gravel in each hole and then filling in with dirt.

grweldon

Well, I ask because I may be doing this sort of fence in SYP which WILL need a preservative.  Just wanted to know what you used, that's all.

beenthere

No home brew that I know will do much with SYP. Best to find a treater that will take it on or the box store.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Planman1954

Guess what? I finally got started last weekend on the new fence across the pasture next to my house. This is a four board horse fence between me and my sister who owns the horses. The fence will be about three hundred feet long. My brother in law Mike brought his tractor down with an auger, and it took a little over half a day to dig the holes. We couldn't dig some of them through the woods, but I'll get to that soon. We set posts into the holes we dug, and then painted the posts after getting them plumb. The horizontal boards will be pre-painted, and screwed onto the posts. The posts are post oak and white oak. The railing 1x6s are pine. After screwing on the railings, I'll put on a vertical board to cover the joint on each post. I'll cut the posts off about three inches above the top rail, and add a cap piece. It shoul look similar to the original fence at the beginning of this old thread. Here's progress from the first day:

Planman1954

Got a lot more posts plumbed up today and ready for paint tomorrow!

Magicman

You are moving right along.  How 'bout that blue sky and we had rain off and on all day.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DelawhereJoe

That is a very beautiful fence you have there, I hope your goats dont find it to be a snack. The nubian goats I had would chew on anything that was natural, they also would go outside in the rain or snow. When it was milking time we would put some sweat feed in the milking stand I built,  they would fight over who would be milked first...we had about 7 total. I only used a 5 line electric fence as they would just climb through a wooden fence.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Magicman

Just curious DelawhereJoe, do you have a brother named Jack?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DelawhereJoe

Magicman

Because we have a Delawhere Jack here on the FF.   ;D

DelawhereJoe

I wonder if he is from up-state or slower-lower....

Roxie

Say when

Planman1954

Got a lot done today on the fence. I'm wiped out:

Magicman

Oh my, you got it up and it fell down.  :-\

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Planman1954,

Boy that hill is steep!  It's a wonder the horses can maintain their footing.  :D :D :D

Herb

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Looks some work was done to get that far.

Magicman

A good example that shadows really can travel uphill.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!