iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Shed

Started by JBS 181, January 25, 2011, 08:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS 181

Need to build a mill shed and the little mill I have now is more or less a hobby mill. Need to know how tall from ground to bottom of truss and how wide to make on the inside. Sizes that would acommodate, say an Woodmizer LT 35, a Timberking B-20 or any of the larger mills. Would like to have enough room to get down the side of it to clear sawdust with a skid loader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

JBS.....you have asked this question at the right time. I have just finished my shed for my LT40. I built it 36 feet long x 34 feet wide and it is 14 feet tall. This is plenty of room for my saw and room to store lumber until the customer can pick up his lumber. Now....for the trusses I ordered for my roof, I ordered "scissor" trusses which raise the inside ceiling up 5 more feet. This will allow my backhoe/loader to bring logs in. But a flat ceiling of 14 feet will be plenty of room for your saw. Hope this helps.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Buck

You could put it in the Superdome and not have enough room! ::)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I forgot to mention, for my saw dust, I have a piece of canvas about 20 feet long and about 10 feet wide. It lays on the ground along the side of the saw. As the saw cuts, all the saw dust is blown on the canvas. I can walk on this canvas and never no it's there. It's feels like it is part of the dirt floor when I walk. When I get a load of saw dust, the canvas has a small chain hooked to each corner where I can just pull the whole load of saw dust out from under my shed with the tractor or backhoe. Then I can do what ever I wish with the saw dust. Works great.

flibob

We just love pictures.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

beenthere

Poston
How many "loads" do you think you will get out of a canvas pulling it that way?

What weight canvas do you get and where do you get it?  Have it made up?

Sounds like it would save a lot of scooping with a shovel or pushing with a broom. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JBS 181

Thank you for the information I sometimes need all the help I can get and your input sounds great.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I got the canvas at an army surplus store 7 years ago. It has never been wet or left in the weather and is still just as strong as day 1. It's thicker than TENT canvas. I think it was used on one of those old army trucks with the side planks on it, to cover the top. The edges were already sown. I just pull the saw dust out when the pile gets about 3 ft. high. It just takes less than 5 minutes to hook it up, pull it out with the tractor, dump it in the yard and pull it back in by hand and lay it back out. It a whole lot better than scooping.

barbender

POSTONLT40HD needs to learn to post pictures ;D
Too many irons in the fire

pa_of_6

The sawmill canvas....what a great idea.....
It solves some of my problems and building design!...

red oaks lumber

my saw shed is 60X40 with 12' ceiling . saw dust removal is with a conveyor laying on concrete floor next to the discharge chute of my lt40, it goes outside to a cross conveyor that goes up an incline into a pile. the only time we touch the dust is with the loader to load a paying customer
yes i know... if there isn't pictures it doesn't exist. just wait someday
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

beenthere

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 25, 2011, 12:10:46 PM
......... It has never been wet or left in the weather and is ..................

So you are saying you hang it up to dry and don't leave it on the ground. Good idea. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Barbender, I don't have a camera to post a picture. I gave the size of the canvas and how to use it. The canvas never gets wet. It's under my shed.

However, if it will help you to understand Barbender, I'll have my 3rd grade son draw you a picture. He's does very well in art class.

Ya'll have a good day.

Also I liked the conveyor that takes out the saw dust to a pile. NOW THAT IS THE WAY TO GO!!!

Peter Drouin

This mill building is 24 x 60 and is to small ::) maybe this summer  . will put up another 24 x 60  ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

JBS 181

Nice work Peter. Is that a chunk of red iron free spanning  that opening?

r.man

You guys that can't load pictures must not have teenage daughters in your house. Since we got a digital camera a few years ago, out of the need to drop our developing costs, I have had to buy enough memory cards to hold over 1000 pictures for the 16 yr old alone. The 19 yr old sets up my browser controls, shows me how to load pictures and gives me hints on word processing. If I could only get them to do some dishes.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Bandmill Bandit

About the Saw dust;

Go look in my photos and you will see a minor mod I mod i made to deal withe the sawdust. it works great.

Tried to add a pic here but cant make it work for some reason.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

paul case

my mill shed is a used chicken house.40'x400'. not enough room though. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

jimparamedic

Figure the size you need then double the sizes  24x48=48x96 this will get ypu started leave room for the addition what ever you build you will end up wanting more room it just never is enough. Lumber storage bigger toys more toys OOOOOOHHHHHH MY!!! I LOVE SAW DUST AND TOYS!!!!!!!! sorry got a little exsited.

StephenRice

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 25, 2011, 08:05:11 PM

This mill building is 24 x 60 and is to small ::) maybe this summer  . will put up another 24 x 60  ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D

I was going to say that I liked the red iron header providing that large open span for loading the mill bed, plus the fact that it appears that all of the wood in there was milled yourself except for the treated pilings in the back.  Even the roof decking was milled the old-fashioned way.  Congrats!  Now you just need to build more buildings for drying your lumber and such.
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

Thank You Sponsors!