iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Growing burls

Started by jim king, January 25, 2011, 08:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

I have taken shoots off of burls and had them cloned thinking that possibly I was going to have burl trees.  Long story short they are regular trees and no figure.

Does any one have any experience with any type of damage or any other factor that has ever made a burl form ??

If I could get a couple of acres of exotic burls growing my great grand children would have a very valuable nest egg from their crazy old ancester that lived in the  jungle.. 

Burlkraft

On my farm I made cherry burls out of the scrub choke cherry trees that were growing there.

I was cutting firewood one day and saved a burl out of the scrubs I was sawing up.

When I turned the burl there was a .30 caliber bullet in the center. My brother is a rotten shot and carried a .30-.30 for deer. In one of his magazine emptying tirades he must have shot this tree.

I took my .22 and went out and selected some test trees and shot them.

Out of 10 trees 9 had volley ball sized burls in 2 years!

I harvested quite a few burls from those trees in 10 years  ;D ;D ;D

Ya might give that a try it worked well for me
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

doctorb

Is it the bullet itself that causes this reaction (lead?)or is it just the penetrating damage of the impact?  I have got to think that it's a reaction to the bullet.  If not, you could just take a drill to the trees to cause this malformation.  Maybe you could drill the tree, then implant something to cause the tree to grow like that, like culturing a pearl.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Burlkraft

I believe that the penetration is what does it.

In these cherry's,in the natural burls, I have found lots of bug damage in them also

I came to the determination that damage makes the burl.

I am kinda old and prolly all wet too!

Patty

So I could go out and drill some cherry trees and get cherry burls? How cool is that!   8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Jeff

I doubt if the hole is the trauma, but the shock of the impact.  Maples are drilled all the time for tapping for syrup, but that does not tent to cause burls, however maples can be a great source for burls "in the wild". so to speak. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jim king

Burlkraft:

I can try that with no problem.  Did you only try it on small trees or on larger ones also ?

What size worked for you?

That system could make an acre worth a few million if it works here.  Did you try more than one per tree ?

Patty

Yes we need details.....
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

jim king

Do we now address him as Professor Burlkraft ¿  Is he running out there to take a picture ?

Burlkraft

Jim.....The trees I was shooting were scrubs.

Tall and spindly.

I have gotten basketball sized burls from 8" trees

jim king

I am sending out for some 410 slugs.  I cant wait for the look on the guys face when I tell him to go out and shoot a couple of hundred baby trees.

Left Coast Chris

Hi Jim,

I have a 3000lb flail mower for my English Walnut orchard and hit a few trees.   It does seem to produce some burls.    The root stock is black walnut and that is where the burl starts.   The trees need to be young.  The bigger ones are growing slower and not much happens.   

Another type of burl is all around the whole base in the ground.   Im not sure but I believe that it is caused from the black walnut being more vigorous than the English grafted to it.  The Black Walnut then begins to sucker.   The suckers must be trimmed so as not to ruin the burl.    The trees get fertilizer making them want to grow also which could be a factor.

If there was a slower growing tree you could graft to the stump you may get some burls going that were not just the basket balls but all the way around the stump.  They are the prize burls for veneering.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Bill Gaiche

I cant wait for the look on the guys face when I tell him to go out and shoot a couple of hundred baby trees.

Jim that funny. Makes me wonder when the feds read this what kind of rules will have to made to protect these poor little trees from gangester style loggers. bg

isawlogs

No small tree in the States is safe now  ::) :D :D :D

Time to buy shares in the .22cal market!!!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SPIKER

hummm  how small a tree we talking here? 2" 4" or 10"?

:)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

CX3

Hey burlkraft how many times did ya blast that tree youre standing by in your thumbnail?? :D
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Jeff

I allowed him to stand next to that tree. ;)

CX3

While you shot at it? :D
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Jeff

No, while I tried to ride it.  :) 

This one didn't need shooting. It grew that way on its own.

Burlkraft

Quote from: SPIKER on January 25, 2011, 09:01:31 PM
hummm  how small a tree we talking here? 2" 4" or 10"?

:)

Mark

I cut some pretty nice burls from 8" trees.

They grow like that here 8" X 60'
I have gotten a beach ball sized really nice solid burl from a tree like that.

One in every 3 or 4 are like that it seems

If I don't have some pictures somewhere I can take some.

I know Pasbuild gets 'em like that in the UP on the west end there

Jeff

They wanted to know what size they should be when you shoot em.

pigman

If I was doing the shooting, the tree would have to be big or I would miss the tree. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

isawlogs

Bob , alls ya need do is aim at the tree next to the one ya want ta hit  ;)

Marcel shootin' adviser
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Around here you don't even have to touch or even breath on any of these black cherries (different than a choke cherry), they all get burls once the black knot drifts in the wind and germinates on the cherry. :D

Jim see if you can train a wasp that stings buds of trees to change their morphology. But, then again, do tropical trees have a resting period to form a bud? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!