iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best battery

Started by glgdiggs, January 24, 2011, 07:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LorenB

I disagree with much of what has been said about Optima batteries.  I have been using them since January 1999.  The pair I bought then is still in service.  Since then I have bought six more.  So far, I have never had an Optima battery go bad, except for the two I ruined when my truck was totaled.  How many other battery brands will last twelve years in Indiana weather, starting a diesel pickup? 

I use these batteries primarily in my Dodge diesel pickups, but when any vehicle or piece of equipment needs a battery, I pull the pair out of the Dodge and use one of the Optimas for the "lower priority" vehicle.  I then buy two new ones for the Dodge.  So far, I have Optimas installed in one Dodge diesel pickup (the other Dodge still has the factory batteries), an old Toyota pickup, a 66 horsepower diesel farm tractor, and a travel trailer.  I'll install these Optimas in the sawmill and the pressure washer when they need batteries, but for now the factory batteries are still good. 

Optima makes two types of batteries, starting and deep-cycle.  I buy their deep-cycle batteries exclusively, because that's what they recommended for diesel trucks when I bought the first ones.  The deep-cycle Optimas are either yellow or blue-tops, with the difference being in the type of connectors provided.  Generally, the yellow-tops have standard posts plus side connectors, while the blue-tops have standard posts plus threaded studs on top for RV or marine cables.  I have NEVER had a problem starting any engine with an Optima deep-cycle battery. 

On a couple of occasions I have completely drained the RV batteries.  They recovered completely by simply charging them.  I have never intentionally left any of my batteries completely discharged for a really long time, although I did leave the lights on in one of the trucks for about three or four days once.  Those batteries also came back after a complete charge.  Once, several years ago, I charged one of my Optimas at too high a rate.  It got warm and the vent was hissing.  That battery is still in service.  It's true that they are "maintenance impossible".  You can't add water.  After twelve years of service, I haven't needed to.  One more benefit: You will never get that white crud building up on your battery terminals again with Optima batteries.  (Don't ask me why; it just works that way.) 

Quinn commented that he wants to find someplace that sells them cheap.  Quinn, you won't.  These batteries are expensive to buy, but they aren't expensive if you take into account how long they last.  The best price I've seen on them has been at Sam's Club.  The blue-tops sell for about $165. 

Yes, I do take care of them.  I have a top-quality charger, and I use it occasionally.  The batteries mounted in the trucks don't see the charger often, maybe once a year.  The RV and tractor batteries get charged a bit more often.  My charger supports the new "desulphation" technology.  I don't know if that has made a difference in battery life, but whatever I'm doing seems to be working. 

The only other battery I will consider is an Odyssey.  That's based on comments in other forums and a recommendation from my brother, an electrical engineer.  If you think Optima batteries are expensive, price a couple of Odysseys.  A group 31 Odyssey battery is about $350.  It would have to last much longer than a "regular" wet-cell battery to justify that cost, which is not to say that it won't. 

Optima batteries are gel cells.  Odyssey batteries are AGM.  "Regular" batteries are wet cells.  They are ALL lead-acid batteries. 

All in all, my experience with Optima batteries has been that they are among the best in the world and are worth the premium price they command. 

– Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

bandmiller2

As Marty said earlier you want a group 31 battery their whats used in ambulances and many emergency vehicles.A good rule of thumb with lead acid batteries is the heavier the better.You want to play you gotta pay. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dana

No one has anything to say about Interstate batteries? I have had very good luck with them. The one in my Ford tractor lasted 5 or 6 years before being replaced this Fall.. with another Interstate.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

bandmiller2

A little aside,before I retired I was the fire dept. mechanic for a wealthy town west of Boston.Had a $ 750.00 dollar battery tester it would flat out tell you everything about a battery condition, % of life left.The town had a recycing center to die for [not dump anymore] at least 25% of the batteries there were good just needed a good charge.I have one group 31 battery that cranks and starts a JD two cylinder diesel tractor,its hard going over the hump. Frank C.

ladylake

Also check out your local heavy duty truck store, they have group 31 batterys on sale for good prices sometimes.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sparks

Magic Smoke is correct the glass mat battery we use on our LT70DCS mills are very durable. We tested this battery on 1 supper mill and 1 LT70. They are now over 3 years on the mill and going strong. As Magic said they are expensive and we sell them for 192.83 and we can ship these batteries.

Terrifictimbers is also correct that Carquest sell a battery and their battery is made by East Penn who make the Deka battery we use. Compare price and if the glassmat is within $50.00 of the Carquest one then I would go the glass mat.

You can not just go by the rating. You can buy a car battery with the same rating as the Deka 31 group but the plate size will not be big enough to give you any durability.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

LorenB

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 25, 2011, 06:57:45 AM
...  A good rule of thumb with lead acid batteries is the heavier the better.  Frank C.

I agree with Frank's rule.  If a battery weighs more, it's got more lead.  As Martha would say, "That's a good thing." 

-- Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

moonshiner

Hay all,I see you talkin about makes of batteries.I have two harleys and both have deka batteries in them.One is 3 years old the other is two years old.Both are the gma,gel type cause as everyone knows the older harleys are the worst for it.Love them and have never had any trouble from either one.I have a pic of my hardtail in my album.Good luck on your sellecion.

moonshiner

moonshiner

If a battery will hold up to this it has to be good 8) 8)

Wintergreen Mountain

For many years the group 27 battery with 1000 cca was the most powerfull battery made. About 10 years ago the manufacturers started making them with less cca. From 1000 to 950 to 850 and now only 750 cca.

The  group 31 and the group 31s batteries with 1000 cca is a choice you can't go wrong on today. Be certain on the cca when you buy one, because they do make them at lower than 1000cca.

Leon.
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

junkorgem

That is one hella nice scoot! Hardtail though, that bike is hard on more than just the battery.  ;D

moonshiner

shhh dont tell but look under the back of the seat,Those are not just springs. :D :D :D 8)

scsmith42

Many thanks to all that have contributed to this string.  Based upon the general consensus, I just bought a pair of Duralast Gold's to go in my camper.  At 89 bucks each, I was able to get a pair with an 8 year warranty for less $ that I would have spent on a single AGM type battery. 

I've bought two Carquest batteries in the past 4 years - one for my sawmill and one for the diesel pump.  The sawmill battery went bad after 14 months or so.  The diesel battery (which has had a battery minder on it since new) went bad at 4 years of age, after not having the charger plugged in for a couple of months).

The one optima that I still have is hanging in there, but I keep it on a pulse charger.  Some of the Deka's that I had also went bad after 4 years (in a small dozer). 

I had an old gel cell on a standby generator - got over 10 years out of that battery.  The replacement, an high end Delco, died after 4 years (also on a pulse charger). 

Sometimes it's hard to figure out which one is the best compromise between cost and longevity.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Magicman

I have had the best service out of the Duralast Gold.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

I.ve been told there are only a couple of co.'s in the states that make lead acid batteries. They private  label and I'am sure there are different grades and price points. Frank C.

JPet3127

Found an article on the subject: Best Batteries for Diesel Trucks in 2018 - Top 5 Select 

After I read it I stopped on these variants:

- Optima vs XS

- XS Power D6500

Which one is better in your opinion? Can this article be trusted?

terrifictimbersllc

Best battery for what?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Beavertooth

Have not read all the other post.  I bought my AGM battery from Woodmizer for my   LT70   7 years ago this coming May and it is still going strong . Would not even consider buying any other type battery. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

terrifictimbersllc

I bought my first AGM battery from WM a couple weeks ago, Deka Intimidator 8A31DTM $240 plus about $20 for shipping.  High hopes.  

Solved problems I was having with a 2 yr old NAPA 7235 battery which the dealer told me was still good but it wasn't running my hydraulics good.    
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Beavertooth

Terrific  that is the same battery I have
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Thank You Sponsors!