iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill maintenance.

Started by backwoods sawyer, January 24, 2011, 01:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

I was tightening the blade tensioner when I heard a distinct "TINK" sound and I knew it was not going to be good. The first thing I found was the threaded brass bushing was stripping the threads. Then I found one of the idler arm pivot bearings had broke and the other was gummed up. While I had it apart I found an repaired an air leak in the air bag system, as well as gummed up bearing on the guide arm, I have cleaned and greased these before and they were due for replacement. Both of the local bearing shops closed up shop when the big mills started shutting down in this area, so there are no cheap bearing to be had locally. Since I had the idler side apart I gave everything a good cleaning and it will be ready to go back together when all the parts arrive.

When you use equipment, you expect to have to work on it from time to time and when I get done the whole idler side will be refurbished. Having the Cooks mill means that I will be able to keep on sawing while I wait for parts for the Woodmizer.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

Whew!!

Sounds like a lot of parts, but then, if you use it, parts will wear out.

I've found that maintenance on the Wood-Mizer is very basic.

Good luck and I hope you get your parts soon!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Good to have an extra sawmill lying around.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

It's also good to know that when you finish the rebuild, you will not have to visit the idler end for a long time.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

This has also given me the opportunity to give the mill a real thorough cleaning. The is in real good working order but the problem I am running into is I am finding lots of old paint that is flaking off. So where do you stop? After all, the mill just turned 10 years old. Just glad the paint on my truck is not faded and flaking off like the paint on the mill is.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

The sawmill finish actually takes quite a beating.  Moist sawdust clinging with various acid/alkaline content.  The mill is in use and can't be properly cleaned.  Then it is out in the weather 365 days a year.  If it wasn't painted orange, I couldn't even find it myself sometimes.   ;D

At least others can see me when I'm in the travel mode.   ;)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

backwoods sawyer

What I found that cuts right thru all of the crud on the mill is a generic citrus-based industrial cleaner, a handful of scotch bright pads, a good gasket scraper (for scraping hardened pitch off) and a garden hose. It takes a bit of time to go over the whole mill. However, when you get done the mill is ready for paint. So I got out my best brushes and started painting, then UPS showed up with the rest of the bearings.

Woodmizer seems to like the beavers (Orange and Black)  :) but after the way they played this year ::) I just can't keep towing them along behind me any longer.  :'(     

Meadows Miller

Gday

Its good to hear your parts arrived you will be back in action soon enough Like Dennis said its handy having a spare mill  ;) :D ;D 8)  how is the Cooks coming along now Mate  ???

The lucas's are pretty good as there is bugger all paint on them  ;) :D ;D 8)  but they get a good wash every other month esp when I have been sawing hardwood that tends to eat into anything and starts to lift the paint on any mill I have used over the years Mate

I have resprayed four mills over the years two i did after a full strip down and the other two where just a tart up in situ I used the same stuff you used on most of it then a heavy duty de  greaser to lift the hard stuff and a 3-4000psi washer it got it clean as a whistle
4TH Generation Timbergetter

backwoods sawyer

The bearings that I received for the idler arm were the wrong size. Correct size for an LT-70 but not for the proto type mill that I have. I have been down this path several times with this mill but after conferring with one of the engineers that was around when my mill was designed and built, the correct bearing are on there way.

I finished painting the mill about dark. If you look close you will still find Orange poking thru but very little. I almost painted the mill after the hydraulic fire, so this project has been on the back burner for sometime now. Nevertheless, when you are down for maintenance, it is as good of time as any to paint the mill. I found some deep rust on the frame that painting will help slow down the process.   

I will be back running the Cooks mill on Monday. It has major issues, and the production is about 60% of the Woodmizer, but it cuts wood.

Meadows Miller

Shes looking Flash Now Backwoods  :o ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

With the 60% productivity rate all I can say previous owner was one of those people think they know more than they do when it comes to modifying a mill sometimes Mate  :o :o :) :) :) ??? ??? ::) ::) I am sure you will get the cooks back up to speed in due course Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8)

on that note

I just had the company from last year contact me again as they are looking for a gun bench operator as they pulled the multi rip out of the mill and installed another bench so they now have two grey one man benches (think along the lines of the old morbark 48" saw heavy duty resaws) they are machines that require a fair amount of skill to get consistent peak production out of them  esp chasing smaller sizes  ;) average sawyers have very variable production on them at the best of times  ;) they are aiming at getting 25500 bft ++ average out per day but are only getting to about 19000bft which I think is going to be hard to get upto even with three good sawyer's inculding the headrig operator on the cooper scragg which at $750k is looking a bit much machine now for the resaw capacity but the owners are trying very hard to make a go of it and get things rite  ;) I have no ral interest in going over to stand on a bench all day sawing pallet boards on someone else's mill  as I would find it boring  ;) But  I did offer to fire up the old Meadows and subie to them in their mill yard at $0.21cents a bft to get their quota of logs cut and take up the slack each month for 2 to 4 weeks a month untill we can get their mill setup  and producing the volume they want it to get too which they are thinking about at the moment it could be a good gig for me  if it goes that way Mate ;)

Regards Chris

backwoods sawyer

In digging into the mill, I found several issues that were able to be fixed. Some of it is regular maintenance like low air pressure in a tire and low hydraulic fluid. The biggest thing that I found was a bearing that was starting to go bad on the drive wheel, I had a spare so swapped it out and repacked both of the other bearings on the drive and idler wheels. I also found a crack in the drive wheel so will need to have my spare 2" wheels turned down to 1 ½ wheels. In all I replaced over a dozed bearings, and sealed the metal to slow the corroding of the frame. When the idler arm bearings arrive, I will need to do a full alignment as well. Running the mill as a fully portable operation, I have done a major maintenance like this about once a year. It is a good time to take care of some of those little things that you have been noticing, but that had not warranted a maintenance day.  Besides the old paint was badly faded and chipping and the "Tree School on the Umpqua" is coming up in March and my theme it "Green Milling". ;D

As a safety note, I did paint the dust shut Yellow since the picture was taken.      

Bibbyman

OMG!    I don't think I can go back to sleep now.  ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Peter Drouin

Looks like a john deere mill not a woodmizer   :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

terrifictimbersllc

Bibbyman

Talking about green Wood-Mizers - what ever happend to "Homey" - a copy of a Wood-Mizer?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bandmill Bandit

From the the shade that the green shows in the pics it aint JD green and the yellow isnt quite right either. Thats just wrong.

That will give all self respecting JD owners night mares. Dont think i can sleep now either.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on January 30, 2011, 01:34:49 PM
From the the shade that the green shows in the pics it aint JD green and the yellow isnt quite right either. Thats just wrong.

Well if you nitpick on shade I guess im wrong.dont want to keep you up :D :D ::) ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

backwoods sawyer

Here in Oregon I was kinda limited on color choices. Duck green, Duck yellow, or Beaver orange, Beaver black, and the way the beavers have been acting I had to do something drastic. 8) 8) 8) "GO DUCKS"   8) 8) 8)

"Backwoods has Gone Green, and we are all about safety" 

See you at the "Tree School on the Umpqua"

Bandmill Bandit

looks like the Green and Yellow they used on the old Field Marshals many many many years ago. think they had a bit of red on em too. That was a good tractor according to my Grandad. He still used to pull the harrow draw bar when I was a kid. I can sleep again now that I know you are paying homage to an old timer tractor.   ;D

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

I've seen green with yellow writing on hand grenades.   :)

Meadows Miller

Along as its still got the pin in it I would be happy Magic  :o ;) :D :D :D

I like that color scheme too Backwoods  ;) ;D ;D 8) my favorite is still Red though I seem to paint everything that bloody color  :) :) ;) :D :D :D :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris

Thank You Sponsors!