iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Photo Restoration

Started by Jeff, January 23, 2011, 06:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

My friend Lou called me this morning and told me he just learned how to use his scanner. He had scanned an old photo of his Father into his computer and wanted to know if there was a way I could come up and try to fix it. I reminded him that he could email it to me. :)  As it turns out, it was in pretty terrible shape. His dads face was missing, and other bits and pieces of the photo. It turns out he had another photo of his dad taken right around the same age.  The Picture he wanted fixed was special because it was of his dad, with the first deer they had taken on the farm there in the U.P.  Lou was only about a year old at the time.

Well, I gave it a shot and this is what I ended up with.  I just got a call from Lou. He was really happy to have the photo back. He says "That's my Dad!"  :)

The Photo that needed fixed

The photo of his dad where I was able to get his face.

First I fixed that photo up a little. It wasn't to bad at all.

Then I went to work on the damaged photo. Its an old sepia toned, hand colored photo, so I left it in that style.

A couple years ago, justafter my mom died, I got a damaged photo of her that I had never saw before.  I managed to give that one a new life as well. My mom was one pretty lady. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

northwoods1

How do you do that? I got some old photos that need to be fixed. Lot of neat old loggin photos some of the neatest are from when they were still using oxen.

tyb525

Photoshop or similar, I reckon ;) If'n ya know what yer doin, it can be done! And it 'pears like Jeff knows what he's doin!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

You need a quiet afternoon and a good program such as photoshop.  :) Restoration involves a combination of painting new areas and cloning and sampling from parts of the photo that exist. You have to have an eye for color and tone matching, because at least for me, that is the most difficult part to get correct.  I probably worked 4 hours on the one for Lou. Its a large photo, over 3000 pixels wide, so you also need some oomph in your computers processor.  :)

northwoods1

Boy I have monkeyed around with photoshop for a long time but am at a complete loss as to how that kind of fix can be done to a photo like that.  ??? That pic of your mom is really nice she is beautiful. Good job on removing the creases.

Jeff

There are no automatic tools, you have to be creative, but the clone stamp tool is your best friend, as it lets you sample from other areas of the photo, or even another photo.

northwoods1

Ah haaa, clone stamp tool ??? this is something I have never heard of??

Jeff

Do you have a full version of photoshop, or some sort of image editing smaller version? I'm using photoshop css extended.

Jeff

Autocar

Thats amazing   :D Old photos are cool to look at for sure. My sister has one that shows a fellow in a Union soilders unaform. Hes related to use and the story goes he was a cook and they set camp up after datk and he goes and get water from a well to cook supper. The next morning he goes back to the well for breakfast and here in the bottom of it layes a dead horse  :D
Bill

JV

Some days you just have too much time on your hands.  I have a home version of Photoshop. 

My MonoHoe conversion prototype.   ;D

John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Brucer

Quote from: JV on January 23, 2011, 08:58:18 PM
My MonoHoe conversion prototype.   ;D

But how do you steer that thing??  :D :D :D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

northwoods1

Quote from: Jeff on January 23, 2011, 06:56:09 PM
Do you have a full version of photoshop, or some sort of image editing smaller version? I'm using photoshop css extended.

I was mistaken I do not have photoshop on my current computer , what I do have is called "jasc paint shop" which must be a much inferior type of photo editing program.

This thread once again reminds me that I need to get my pics stored somewhere other than on my computer. I could use suggestions on how to go about that. Coincidentally, I was just trying to figure out how to do that yesterday a.m. , but it said I would need 9 discs to archive it all and I did not feel like tying up the computer all day. I do have one of these little 2GB dealies you plug into a usb port that I can store stuff on I wonder if that is really a safe way to store photos. I lost a bunch of really good ones on a laptop I had one time. I waited to long and the thing crashed and burned, goodbye photos :'(
What I really need to do is organize them all and get rid of what I do not need to archive , that is the 1st thing.

JV

Brucer

Steering is done very carefully.  Sidehills are a real treat, need auto-level.   :D
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Dean186

Use Adobe Photoshop CS4 if you want to get serious with an image, or any version of Adobe CS.

Wrangler55

Photoshop is the best photo editor there is.  But, it's a bit pricy for most people. There is an open source alternative. GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.  It is available for Windows, Mac and versions of Linux.  One thing it does easier and better than photoshop is red eye repair.  It will resize your photos for uploading to the forum.

http://www.gimp.org/

And to download the Windows version:

http://www.gimp.org/windows/

Like any powerful program, it has a learning curve that can appear daunting. Just google "gimp tutorial" or "gimp manual" and you'll find more than enough information to get you started.

Hal
I'm so covered with sawdust, my nickname should be dusty...

SwampDonkey

You've done good with that photo Jeff. Takes a lot of patience for that kind of thing.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tyb525

I use GIMP. It's nice, but not as nice as Photoshop, which I have used but it's way too pricey for my budget.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

I know one thing, that looks like it was one big deer!

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

northwoods1

What kind of rifle is that though? I can't figure that out ???

Looks like he's wearing my boots :D

Jeff

I dunno, but Lou may. He may still has the gun since he was the only child. The cartridges on his belt look to be pretty good size.  The photo is from around 1927-28 I think.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Jeff

You did a great job restoring those two photos. I can appreciate the time it took you to do it right. I spent about 6 very tedious hours restoring a badly damaged photo my wife had of her mom with corel draw that was one of only three she had of her. Was worth every minute of my effort when she came home and saw it sitting on her dresser in a wooden frame. I got a nice steak for dinner that night ;D
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Jeff

Yea, I'd of settled for Steak too. :D

isawlogs

I also was looking at the gun  :) Mighty nice looking, get Louis on here and tell us more, seeing this thread reminds me I need call him.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

JV

Jeff,

Hope you don't mind but I borrowed a couple of the photos for a bit.  The question of the rifle drove me nuts.  Too much time in the house for the past two months.  I blew them up, twisted them, and other work.  The stock, ejection port, forestock, and general shape said shotgun.  But, his belt was holding high powered cartridges.  My best guess at this point is a Remington slide action rifle.  Possibly a model 14-1/2.  This based on the ejection port and the forestock and general shape.  Hope someone can verify or disprove.
John

Jeff

Lou called me tonight, and he was pretty sure that his Dad had a 35 Remington. He said he only had one gun and that is what he remembered it to be. Lou was not yet 1 year old when that photo was taken.

SPIKER

I've done this a few time myself.   I used Photoshop and Picasa it is time consuming with the low power software, I've use older Corel draw as well.   There are a good number of free sources that you can use as well.   check into some of the ones who do photo printing walgreens has a upload and edit service that Ive used (we use Walgreens for printing pics works well stores pics for ya too if ya print a few. ;)   I store pics on --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!-- (probably get censored here though)

Other sites will store stuff for free too.   I use one of the 8 gig thumb drive to store npics it is a dang lot of photos too and less than 1/4 full I have pretty much all of them on 2 PCs now and on the thumb drive as well as on disks as Ive also had a HD die with 5 years worth of pics on it.  :(

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Reddog

From what I can dig up it is a model 14. The 14 1/2 was only made in 38-40 and 44-40. But looking at the cartridges they are most likely 35 Rem, which the 14 came cambered in.
Knowing the Serial # won't help because they issued numbers out of the same sequence to both 14's and 14 1/2's.

Ron Scott

That's what it looks like to me, a 35 Remington Model 14, discontinued in 1935.
~Ron

Bibbyman

The only picture my folks had of their wedding was an old Brownie shot of them standing in front of an old broken down yard fence with farm junk in the background and a goofy kid sticking out from behind them.  I took the picture and cleaned it up and removed the fence, goofy kid and junk.  I printed it out 8x10 and framed it for their anniversary gift.  I know Mom really appreciated it. 

I also had a good picture of Son Chris and wife Heather at their wedding.  I took a picture of me and Mary and placed it in the upper left.  Then took my folk's wedding picture mentioned above and placed it in the upper right.  It made a very special arrangement out of it.  I gave it to my folks who could not go to the wedding.

Then there is this one that's had a lot of changes made.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!