iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bread

Started by northwoods1, January 23, 2011, 05:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods1

Well, thought I would get creative today and try making bread in the bread machine, which I had never done before.
All I can say is the result was FAIL! Probably would have helped if I had known how to work the machine and adjust the different settings, but I was obviously incorrect in my assumption that it was an idiot proof kind of process :D
Oh well, everything else turned out great including a big batch of cowboy beans and banana bread.

isawlogs

:D :D  What kind of machine for bread ya got , we have one here , might be able to set ya straight .  ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

First question, was your yeast fresh?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

northwoods1

Well , it was an un-opened vacuum sealed package of red-star instant active dry yeast. I can't find a date on it so I don't know exactly how old it is.

I followed this recipe I found online:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/best-bread-machine-bread/Detail.aspx

and the yeast, water & sugar mixture did foam up.

But it really did not rise at all it did not end up getting much bigger than the lump of kneaded dough.

The breadmaker if a "Regal kitchen pro" and I could not find the instruction booklet. The directions for that recipe said bake for 40 minutes, but the shortest setting on the machine was for 3 hours and I could not figure out how long of a bake time that amounted too. I just put it on the basic setting. I was using whole wheat flour.

Do you have to have yeast that is specifically for bread machines?

Norm

Yes they do make a yeast especially for bread machines. You can find it in your local grocer and it's labeled as such. I use it for bread sometimes myself because it's a rapid rise yeast.

Now to be honest I've been using a sourdough starter for my bread lately. It's a bit tricky but the flavor is so much better. Makes the best pizza dough too.

Huntress

Quote from: northwoods1 on January 24, 2011, 06:18:57 AM

I was using whole wheat flour.

This could be the problem...whole wheat flour doesn't have enough gluten to hold it together while rising. Try using half bread flour and half whole wheat or add wheat gluten to your recipe.
I've been trying different yeast bread recipes lately (not in a bread machine) and have found that it needs to be really warm in the house for it to rise properly. Does your machine get warm during the rise cycle?
"One day your life will flash before your eyes.....Make sure it's worth watching."

Norm

Welcome to the FF Huntress.  :)

Huntress

Thanks Norm!
Funny that I join the FF and my first post is in the food section but I'm a newbie woodworker who LOVES food!
Great forum BTW...I've learned tons already!

"One day your life will flash before your eyes.....Make sure it's worth watching."

Burlkraft

Don't worry Huntress all threads eventually lead to food so you fit right in  :D  :D

My bread making skills are lacking at best  :-\

One time my bread will work great and other times it just lays there like a slug!

Jill tells me it's because I take a cooking approach to baking. A little extra of this and not enough of that equals a flop

I did make a loaf of whole wheat a couple of weeks ago that was awesome.

It had the last of Nailhead's syrup in it. That must be why it worked  ;D

Thanks Pat!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

scgargoyle

I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I'm not crazy about the bread machine. I make mine the good old fashioned mixing and kneading. Considering my 'signature' loaf is 4-1/2 lbs., it's a little bit of a work-out. If anyone is interested, I'll post a how-to.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

northwoods1

Thanks for the tip huntress. I do have a box of wheat gluten in the pantry. What I need is a recipe.

Man , I wish I could make bread the old fashioned way. scgargoyle I'd like to hear how you do it.

It is about the only thing I need to stop at the store for , I can not be without bread! Problem is at the store they don't have any good stuff.

Have to say , when I spent time in Paris , that is where I learned what real bread was :)

There was a shop on every corner full of the best kinds of breads. And you would say may I please have a loaf of this or that , and they would just hand it to you. Most people just stuck it under there arm and hurried home, eating it on the way :D

Chewy, crusty bread, I want some.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Huntress.  You hunt, trap, fish, cook, and work with wood.  Your skills will fit in quite nicely here.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Welcome to the forum Huntress.

scgargoyle, I'd be interested too, you just can't beat homemade bread even if that's all you have to eat.

Reddog

I have struggled with whole wheat flour making any bread that wasn't a brick. Didn't matter if I make it from scratch or using the bread machine. If you get it figured out post up. ;)

SwampDonkey

The processed whole wheat such as Robin Hood has a lot less gluten because it's steel rolled and usually bleached removing most of the goodness with some bran added back in. At the local gris mill whole wheat flour is actually high in gluten because it's stone ground and not bleached. There is a world of difference.

My mother figures she could modify the recipe for her machine, with 3 attempts or more she finally wised up. :D

Huntress, welcome. Gotta ask though, you a saw miller? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Huntress

Northwoods, what brand of bread machine do you have? I have a book from a 'West Bend' brand that I can give you recipes from, or I can send you the whole thing...it's been well used but still readable.

Thank you all for the welcome!
SwampDonkey-No, I'm a taxidermist. Why, do I need to be?

Reddog

Norm

His comment is about a gal that showed up on the sawmill board with questions about her sawmill. Since there's very few women on the FF you can guess how much attention she got. Jeff finally turned the water hose on them but I think she's a tad bit cautious now. :D

Not to worry though, the food board has the best moderator on the site!  ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 25, 2011, 06:38:28 AM
Huntress, welcome. Gotta ask though, you a saw miller? ;D

Quote from: Huntress on January 25, 2011, 03:41:20 PM
SwampDonkey-No, I'm a taxidermist. Why, do I need to be?

Quote from: Reddog on January 25, 2011, 03:45:12 PM
No, he just rambles a lot. :D

Quote from: Norm on January 25, 2011, 03:50:05 PM
His comment is about a gal that showed up on the sawmill board with questions about her sawmill.

Just an innocent question.  pull_smiley  whiteflag_smiley sling_shot  yikes_smiley

My next question is, do you stuff yotes?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Huntress

Norm
Ah, now I see.
Well, as you can guess from my profile I've spent a good bit of my life around 'man-hobbies' so rest assured that Jeff can keep his hose at ease. ;D

SwampDonkey if you have the money I'll stuff as many as you want. Just finishing a nice one up today.

SwampDonkey

I wouldn't mind seeing pictures.  ;D Maybe a thread someday about taxidermy. I'm not a hunter any longer and never hunted mammals, just grouse. Never had a taste for moose meat  or deer meat. I have seen stuffed grouse before as well as most any animal you can think of.  I think they are interesting to look at. :)

Burlkraft

Better watch out Donk.........

When you go they may stuff you and put you in The Forestry Forum Museum (Insert stuffed Donk smiley)

Sometimes I just crack myself up.... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

That's ok, I know it's winter out that way. :D

scgargoyle

OK- How to make bread. There are 3 very important factors, 2 I can teach you, the last is by 'feel'.

1) Good yeast. Make sure it isn't out of date. When you add water, make sure it's not too hot- it will kill it.

2) Oven temperature. Get an oven thermometer and use it. Many home ovens are way off.

3) Dough consistency. I make a hearth loaf, which has to be firm enough to stand on it's own to rise. Too firm, though, and you get a brick. It's supposed to be smooth and elastic, and not slump too much. Bear in mind that the gluten has to be 'developed' by 10-15 minutes of vigorous kneading, and the dough won't feel right until then. More on that later.

4) Don't worry too much! So your bread is a little flat, or a little hard. You're not out much, and it will still likely taste pretty good!

French Country Bread

Day One:In a large bowl, mix one package of yeast (not rapid rise) with cup of slightly warm water, and you can add a TBSP. of powdered milk, but not necessary if you don't have it. Give the yeast 15 minutes or so to activate- it will foam or bubble a little. Once it's alive, stir in one cup of whole wheat flour, and cover with plastic wrap. This is the starter, and it should bubble up and fall back periodically, and smell like a brewery. If it fails to bubble up- something is wrong with your yeast. Don't waste any more time on this batch until you get it going. Add more yeast from a different package, and see if it gets going. In 30 years, I've only had one yeast failure, but it can happen. Yeast is actually alive- it needs the right conditions to grow. Too cold or too hot, and it dies. Usually, it likes about the same temps you do, between 65 and 80 is best.

Day Two: To the starter, add two cups of water, and three cups of bread flour. Stir and cover. This is the sponge, and it should bubble up like before.

Day Three: Let's make bread! Into the sponge, mix 1 TBSP of salt. Salt is important, and you'll realize it (too late) if you forget it. Start mixing in bread flour, about 3 cups in all. Mix it in gradually. You may not need that exact amount; it is dependent on the humidity, with damp days needing more flour, dry days using less. That's where the texture bit comes in. A heavy duty mixer like a KitchenAid with a dough hook greatly speeds the process. Once you think you are kind of close, dump the whole mess on a clean, floured surface and start kneading. It's usually described as 'push-turn-fold', keeping your hands well-floured. You can take the dough ball and crash it down hard on the table once in a while; it helps develop the dough. Tired yet? When it's right, they say you can slam your open hand on it and hold it for 5 seconds and it won't stick. Pick it up and feel it- Does it slump? If you punch it, and it punches back, you may have too much flour, in which case, you need to work in more water- a sticky, frustrating job. I always err on the side of a little soft, and I haven't made a cannonball yet. Put the dough in a bowl, and cover with a damp tea towel. Make sure the towel is damp, or the dough will dry out.

Let it rise in a warm place- 70 degrees is OK. Not TOO warm! The first rise is 1-1/2 hours. Turn the dough out on the floured table (you didn't clean it up, did you?) and knead for a few minutes. Take a baking sheet, grease lightly, and dust with corn flour. Shape your loaf however you want- round, long and skinny, two loaves, even rolls. I once made a football, complete with lacing for Super Bowl. Place the shaped loaf on the prepared baking sheet, and cover with the damp towel. Let it rise 2 more hours, until double in size. 20 minutes before baking, preheat your oven to 425 (did you get a thermometer?) I put a shallow pan in the bottom of the oven for the pre-heat. 5 minutes before baking, pour one cup of water into the hot pan in the bottom of the oven (watch out for the steam!), and close the door. The resulting steam makes a thicker, chewier crust. Meanwhile, take an extremely sharp knife or razor blade, and cut some slits in the dough. 3 or 4 is fine; when I make a round loaf, I do a crisscross. These are called jets, and they let the excess steam out of the dough, otherwise you can get an unsightly, but harmless blow-out. Place the loaf in the oven, and bake for 35-40 minutes. The loaf should sound hollow if you tap the bottom. You're supposed to let it cool before slicing; good luck with that!

This is a hearty, 4-1/2 lb loaf of bread. Great with any meal, it works especially well with soups or gravies. It is very flavorful toasted, if any makes it that far! You can fancy up your loaf by brushing with an egg wash and sprinkling seeds on it just before baking. I often use quick oats for a decorative touch. BTW- It's easier to make bread dough in dry weather rather than humid- I don't know why, though. Despite the lengthy tutorial, bread is easy to make, and oh so good! Once you get a basic recipe under your belt (in more ways than one  :D) You can move on to more involved recipes. Although this technically takes 3 days, the first two days are only a couple minutes each, and the added flavor is worth it.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Jasperfield

Those are very good instructions. The extent of my breadmaking has been biscuits and cornbread, but I've wanted to make wheat bread, too.

Using your directions, I think I'll give it a try.

Thank You Sponsors!