iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Should I do It?

Started by AndyC, January 23, 2011, 05:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyTreeFarmer

Quote from: AndyC on January 27, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

I sketched this while I was drooling over a picture of it...  smiley_bounce
Have a good evening and I will be sure and post when I order it....pretty soon. 

AndyC
Some guys buy bass boats and play in the water.....others buy sawmills and play in the woods. Needs no justification!!
I love my sawmill and probably lose money every time I use it but that is what "I" enjoy. Looks like you have made up your mind for sure.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

WDH

Andy,

Nice drawing!  I load the logs onto the mill on the opposite side of the side supports, but hey, you may be starting a whole new trend  :D.  You have got it bad, so get that mill in a hurry  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

AndyC

:D  You guys are killing me.....I noticed them being on the wrong side this morning and said Dang it I wonder if anyone will notice - sure enough.....  ;D     Need to do some more  :P

WDH

No, you need to proceed forthwith and buy a mill  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

If you do too much more  :P :P :P  you're going to spend more $$$
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ladylake

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 25, 2011, 07:38:48 AM
Andy,asking us if you should buy a mill is like asking a drunk if he needs a drink!!Life is short buy it you won't regret it.Consider it a hobby pet but don't be surprised if you turn a buck with it. Frank C.

One of your best post ever Frank.    Steve :D :D
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Lote07

Hi Andy C,

I just joined the forum. Have been reading a bit lately and noticed your story (this thread) and saw that you were interested and finally bought a Norwood mill.  I am curious to hear about it. I am a newbie and have some land and am looking at sawmills. Timberking and Norwood have caught my attention more than the others. Do you recommend Norwood?  tell me of your experience.  Thank you.

Tim

Magicman

Welcome Lote07, to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lote07

Thank you sir,

I have noticed some of your posts before and enjoy your comments.
Any suggestions on a particular saw mill?  I know there has got to be threads on
that topic too, of course.

ladylake

Your 39, get a mill.    For getting long logs out of the wood here I use forks on a 3 point hitch. I put a crossbar near the end of the forks that I get under the end of the log, lift it up and chain it so it doesn't slide off.  This works good and doesn't cost much.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

stavebuyer

It's obvious from the pictures that your serious about your woodworking. Nobody tries to justify the economics of owning a bass boat or motorcycle. Discounting the cost per bd/ft ROI calculations...the first time you need a different width or thickness of lumber for the next woodworking project... you'll know you made the right decision.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: ladylake on April 16, 2011, 07:16:57 AM

Your 39, get a mill.    For getting long logs out of the wood here I use forks on a 3 point hitch. I put a crossbar near the end of the forks that I get under the end of the log, lift it up and chain it so it doesn't slide off.  This works good and doesn't cost much.   Steve
Get a mill or talk about it for as long as you want.  Can't go wrong with either unless you don't get the mill.    Agree with Steve, and you don't need forks even.  My dad had a pipe going across the 3 pt hitch and some chain, and dragged logs around for years with his 25HP 4WD Kubota, which I now have.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Wildcat

Go for it Andyc, I did, you only go around this world one time so try and enjoy things that you like to do.. waiting on my mill to get here, I ordered the Norwood mx34, 23 hp.
should be in next week, I have been a woodworker for 25yrs, my father for 55yrs but he can't do as much as his younger days..
I use my Kubota tractor as a skidder and it works great.. 8 :)

thecfarm

Andy where are you?Did you forget about us?
Lote07,welcome to the forum. Should be shows going on in your area.May take some travel to get there. All the mills should have listing at their web sites. If you live in the country sometimes County Extensions will put on a small course about sawmills too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

barbender

Any woodworking is usually a money loser if you figure in the time you put into it, for me it isn't about the money, it's something I enjoy. Milling is just an extension of that for me. If I make some money at it, good, but if I did it every day to make money I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much, either. Not to mention, those little LT15's hold their value real well if you decide you don't need or want it anymore.
Too many irons in the fire

ladylake

i used to be a woodworker, last year I spent around 10 hours in my wood shop. Kind of tells what i like doing better.   Steve

Thank You Sponsors!