iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sometimes a great notion

Started by Jeff, January 22, 2011, 10:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Retitled as never give an inch.

This movie was mentioned in another thread, I have a copy of it here and the movie poster and the book. Its probably the best logging movie I have ever saw and is one of my favorites. You can not watch it on youtube.  You'll have to double click on the movie and go to youtube to watch as they have embedding disabled. This is part one. You can get to the other parts in the left hand column.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cevgsv7w_Ww&feature=related 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don_Papenburg

I had seen that one when it came out , then later on TV with a differant name . I thought that I was remembering wrong.    Anyone know why the name change .  I liked the desk cutting /let me get your attention section  :). good movie.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Jeff

It was released in Theaters by its original title, Sometimes a great notion, but retitled as never give an inch when it was released for Television. I think this was actually the first movie broadcast on a new cable station back in 1972 named HBO. :)   Never give an inch was the Stamper family motto.

DonT

Jeff one of my guys mentions this movie frequently especially the "desk scene" where would i look if i wanted to buy it on dvd for his birthday.

isawlogs

Don , I just looked at Amazon.com and they had/have a copy of the movie  DVD and also have the book .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DonT

BaldBob

The author of that book was my neighbor many years ago when I lived in Eugene, Or. He also wrote "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" which was also a great book ( though not about logging) made into a great movie. He was one truly wild & crazy dude.  BTW "Sometimes a Great Notion" was  based on a real logging family in Florence, OR.  - and not extremely loosely.

inspectorwoody

Very good movie.  8)

I don't think you could get away with the desk cutting today.  :D

Ron Wenrich

I saw that move a couple of weeks before I headed out to Oregon to be a chokersetter.  Gave me an idea for what I was in for.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Marcel, I have never seen it on DVD release, only VHS tape. I'll have the look. I saw the movie on C-band satellite on HBO back in '84. Was a memorable film.

Jeff if you get RealAudio, there is a tab that pops up on the Youtube video that allows you to snag the video. ;) You have to initiate the Youtube playback/dowload first.

Oh, and I looked up the DVD, it's region 2 and PAL, so it ain't gonna work in your player here in USA/Canada.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

plasticweld

Thanks for sharing the link, this is the first time I have seen the whole movie, I have read the book 3 times over the last 30 years each time it has meant something different to me. The first time as a young logger.  The next time as a logger who was struggling with break downs, bad luck and help. The next time as a owner of a non union construction company that was doing hand to hand battle with the unions. There are so many nuggets of truth to Ken Kesey,s work. Some of the lines to this day still echo in my mind when things go wrong at the job and every thing seems like it is a up hill battle.  Unfortunately I have to much first hand knowledge with some of the same problems as the characters, the good news is that it was always refreshing to see that sometimes you still win you have to keep swinging no matter what. You will never beat the weather, old worn out equipment and people who just want to see you fail. Good men are both well hated and well liked and sometimes it is good to remember that. The most powerful line in the book and the movie is the line from Viv  "Can't you just stay home." Many times when I was faced with some of the violence and vandalism  with the unions I had my own wife ask me the same question and each time it all boiled down to the very same answer that Henry gave..  Thanks again for sharing..Bob

Autocar

Bill

Dean186

I could not find "Sometimes a Great Notion" or " In Sometimes a Great Notion" or "Never give an Inch" at Netflix.  Bummer!

Jeff

Why not just watch the youtube version I linked to?

Don_Papenburg

It take about an hour per min. of movie length on the crank up internet  to down load. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Mooseherder

If you have a roku box used for your netflix you can watch it on your big screen thru YouTube. :)

SwampDonkey

Like I said earlier if you have a fast connection and RealAudio you can d/l onto a USB thumb drive or card and also play it on the PS3. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clww

We had a store when I was still living at home and we rented VCR movies. I watched this movie back in the early 1980s and thought it was great. I still watch it every 5 years or so.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Dean186

Quote from: Jeff on January 24, 2011, 02:44:19 PM
Why not just watch the youtube version I linked to?

We live in an area that has only dial-up or satellite internet connection options.  Even with the satellite option that we have, it would be too much to download.  We are on a limited amount of downloads/uploads per month with our basic plan.  If we exceed our monthly quota, then they reduce our speed to dial-up equivalent for the remainder of the billing period.

SwampDonkey

Dean, is that Xplorenet? It's available on satellite and tower here.

NB sawdust

Have you tried Xplorenet SwampDonkey??? I,ve been wondering about it , and i'd rather hear the real story from somone who knows than the kid at the door trying to sell it.I live just far enough off the beaten bath that I don't get aliant high speed..... Tried dial up and it was no fun. Right now we use a wireless hub that runs off the cell towers, but data is not all that cheap.
Thanks , Brad

isawlogs

I have xplornet. I also live at the end of the map with no other option other then dial-up wich was bad at the very least  :(
   I have the basic plan and it is limited on down/up loads , but if you do go over the limites it only goes dial-up for 24 hours, I don't have the specifics on how much I can down load but I have exceeded it a few times with the help of others here  ::)
The connection I have is a  100,0 Mbits/s on a good computer  ::) it is quite quick  :)
If you need any other info ask away..
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

NB sawdust

Thanks isawlogs! So it's a set rate per month and if you go over the amount of data they bump your speed back ,right?? But when you go over the set amount how bad do they nail you on extra charges? That's the problem with this setup ... once you go over it ain't cheap!! Sometimes I get yelled at by the other person that lives here smiley_furious3 no_no

thanks,Brad

SwampDonkey

I haven't installed it here. But my brother is looking into it. They came once to his place to look at the situation and haven't been back, been two weeks. My brother has a high steep roof, so do I. :D He gets it off the neighbor's connection through wireless right now. The neighbor knows, said it was ok.

I don't really need it here. Sure it would be quicker, but for all I'm doing it's not a deal maker. I heard one fellow had the cell phone deal and his first bill came at $400. It was promptly disconnected.  :D That's how dial-up first started, you didn't have all these programs we have now. You dialed a local access number and logged in on a SLIP account with static IP address. You bought time blocks, anything over and you got charged extra. I figure once CRTC says broadband everywhere, they'll be throwing those dishes and antennas out to the curb. ;)

isawlogs

No extra charges , they drop you back to slowwwwwwwwwwww dial up for 24 long hours. After the 24 hours you are right back at highspeed .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!