iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gutted Cat Muffler.

Started by alleyyooper, January 22, 2011, 10:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alleyyooper

2159c  Jonserred cat muffler got gutted Now am wondering if I should make a new baffle plate befor rewelding it together. I also plan on cutting the top outlet away from there, welding that up and putting the outlet in the front pointing down as I still want the screen.

Forgot I have to jump thru hoops to post pictures here.

any comments on the muffler?

:D  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

weimedog

Pics are easy if you have the gallery and use that "java" app...there is an image icon and all you do is copy and paste the pic location like other places...if your having trouble just email your pics and ill post them.

I don't put the baffles in mine..but I don't consider myself to be an expert either. Think I posted in that small limbing saw thread a pic of a typical "work saw" muffler mod for me..but a repeat:

One half is on the saw, the other in front. The half on the saw to match the exhaust port, gasket, and muffler inlet before final assembly of the muffler. This one had a baffle. i had to take around .015 maybe .020 inches off those support tubes to allow the two halves to make a good seal as there was that baffle before at the junction between the two.

Another I did for that husqvarna 61 I put a 272XP top end on..

Yet another I did for a 365 I put a 372XP top end on...the internals are as the first two...non existent!

JUST remember if you take this route to be certain you don't cook plastic because of the outlet modifications or new location..

And always re-tune your saw (sometimes they have plastic limiters on the hi and low speed mixture adjustment screws that need to be removed so you can get enough fuel not to toast the saw) & understand anything related to warrentee is toast once you touch that muffler....it will probably run lean. AND really the right guys to ask post other places. (Except Al...and two or three others who are less frequent..).I'm not the best one by far! I'm a hack nothing more...just this is how I hack at my saw puzzles..most were junk when I got them. I don't think I would hack a new saw! I'd just leave them stock.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Al_Smith

You don't need a baffle .All that does is bounce the pressure waves back into themselves which attenuates the sound but also causes back pressure .The can itself acts like a pressure regulating device . You most likely will need a good set of ear plugs though .

John Mc

Just curious if you guys wear a respirator or any other protective equipment when gutting Cat mufflers. I've heard some of the metals inside are not something you want to ingest or inhale... I've gt an untouched cat muffler sitting on the shelf that came off my Jonsered 2152. I've debated monkeying with it, but wanted to learn a bit more about what's inside before I messed with it.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

weimedog

I haven't done a Cat muffler. Typically I won't mess with new saws..and if I had to I would probably buy an after market muffler to hack..so I could go back if I didn't make anything more than more noise...
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

alleyyooper

Like I said ya got to jump thru hoops with pictures here. I have the pictures on photo bucket which many (99%) forums allow posting direct from them copy and paste.

Any way on gutting the cat muffler I was also told there was stuff inside to beware of so I wore a resperator. Once apart and showing the pictures of the insides and the baffle plate and how hard it was (the baffle plate) I was told it is  Stainless. Don't know what is harm full about Stainless any more than cold roll is?

No warrenty as this saw is over 6 years old. People keep telling me how great it is supposted to be but I just am not seeing it. I've got a old Husky 162 SE that will cut circles around it. Of course today the temp out side is 13.7f with a wind chil of -5f so the old cat muffler would have kept the hands hot with out a glove. In the summer and early fall you wear an Ove glove when you use it.

I knew about the retune aspect of the job. It does have the limiters so I'll have to give it a good look at to see how to remove them the best way.

Thanks on the comments.

;D  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Thank You Sponsors!