iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the view from your office window?

Started by weimedog, January 22, 2011, 09:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

For most of last nite it looked like this for me..... :)

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Magicman

Looks like you were busy making someone else's morning safer?    ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KellyH

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is who you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

Autocar

Looks to me like a long work day for yourself. But sun sets like that, a man has time to think about life and how lucky he is to beable to see them and enjoy a hard day in the woods. I carry one of them throw away cameras and now my cell phone , ive taken more sun sets and sun rises then I can remember. But for sure there beautiful  ;D
Bill

weimedog

LOL i didn't even see the sunset! It was pretty...just the wind was howling...non stop..spend all nite chasing drifts and when one road was clear the last one done was already plugged again..sometimes thats just what mother nature dishes. (My route is around 4 hrs one trip..about 80 lane miles.)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Black_Bear

Here is one of my office pictures: I caught this moose January 6th browsing on bundles of wood the feller had laid down the previous day. They have it pretty good - most of their beds are at the top of the bundles where they can rest and eat at the same time.

paul case

kind of bright out there compared to inside.

'' my office window view.''
pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

snowstorm

Quote from: weimedog on January 22, 2011, 10:09:42 AM
LOL i didn't even see the sunset! It was pretty...just the wind was howling...non stop..spend all nite chasing drifts and when one road was clear the last one done was already plugged again..sometimes thats just what mother nature dishes. (My route is around 4 hrs one trip..about 80 lane miles.)
another snowplow guy?? your truck? town state?are you in the lake effect area? here in maine its been nonstop got over a ft yesterday then the wind. good thing i like watching snow rool off that wing

weimedog

Quote from: snowstorm on January 22, 2011, 04:17:22 PM
Quote from: weimedog on January 22, 2011, 10:09:42 AM
another snowplow guy?? your truck? town state?are you in the lake effect area? here in maine its been nonstop got over a ft yesterday then the wind. good thing i like watching snow rool off that wing

yea another plow guy, County, and yes we are in the Lake Effect area...here is the office for this year:

snowstorm

nice color sure is hi vis. mack? didnt they have a heated windsheild opion? was always gonna try heated wiper blades ..havnt yet tho. do your wheelers have cross locks in them?

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

woodbill2

Here's the view I had from my shop/office window a couple of weeks ago.

Rain doesn't get things wet, it makes them grow. So next time you get rained on, remember you're growing, not getting wet.

Magicman

I could watch elk all day long.  Only cows?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

weimedog

Quote from: snowstorm on January 23, 2011, 03:32:21 PM
nice color sure is hi vis. mack? didnt they have a heated windsheild opion? was always gonna try heated wiper blades ..havnt yet tho. do your wheelers have cross locks in them?

2010 International Paystars with 425HP Cummins in front of 18spds. 46K rears that lock front to back and side to side on separate controls. Only use this to yank trucks out of the ditch....have a funny sliding down hill lesson to yap about another time.  Has 22K front axle. Have the spinning "Automatic" chains options that I have never used but once last year in a Blizzard..they are really sweet! It does have heated mirrors. Its a dump truck in the summer...takes about 3 hrs to put the drop in sander and front plow clip on frames together..about two hours to turn it back to a dump truck. Really well thought out plow truck...The "Dicky John" controls and plow controls are right in front of where the radio is on the console, really don't have to take my eyes off the road to set the salt spreader "dicky john" rates on the fly..and the Plow & Wing controls are air over Hydraulic and have a progressive feel to them..like I said I really like this one. I spend 8-10hrs in it by myself most nights in the winter so having a nice environment makes that ..nice! Quiet cab, good radio's (both FM and 2-way to the other trucks) Nice seats...just an awesome setup. Actually the last three trucks I've run have been well thought out. My last one was a 2006 7600 International with a 375HP Cummins. same chassis specs...18spd as well. Its the one with the forward discharge.

Bibbyman

I'd like it to look like this.

Or even this.

But right now it looks like this.  ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

northwoods1

Bibbyman you sure have that yard looking good , what do you have for moving snow it looks like it works good whatever it is :)

I like that elk pic I could watch them all day too. They are such peculiar animals. The way they talk to each other is a hoot :)

snowstorm

Quote from: weimedog on January 24, 2011, 12:36:28 AM
Quote from: snowstorm on January 23, 2011, 03:32:21 PM

2010 International Paystars with 425HP Cummins in front of 18spds. 46K rears that lock front to back and side to side on separate controls. Only use this to yank trucks out of the ditch....have a funny sliding down hill lesson to yap about another time.  Has 22K front axle. Have the spinning "Automatic" chains options that I have never used but once last year in a Blizzard..they are really sweet! It does have heated mirrors. Its a dump truck in the summer...takes about 3 hrs to put the drop in sander and front plow clip on frames together..about two hours to turn it back to a dump truck. Really well thought out plow truck...The "Dicky John" controls and plow controls are right in front of where the radio is on the console, really don't have to take my eyes off the road to set the salt spreader "dicky john" rates on the fly..and the Plow & Wing controls are air over Hydraulic and have a progressive feel to them..like I said I really like this one. I spend 8-10hrs in it by myself most nights in the winter so having a nice environment makes that ..nice! Quiet cab, good radio's (both FM and 2-way to the other trucks) Nice seats...just an awesome setup. Actually the last three trucks I've run have been well thought out. My last one was a 2006 7600 International with a 375HP Cummins. same chassis specs...18spd as well. Its the one with the forward discharge....nice truck  set up like that must have been close to$160000. since i have to buy my own trucks ill stick with something a little older. my ground speed control is look out mirror turn knobs. are you running led strobes?any trouble with snow sticking? i use a 180 watt whelen power supply with strobe heads. its fairly bright

weimedog

Only snow issue is in the back where snow will pack on pretty much everything. Never had any issue with the beacon on the cabs or anything in front.

The interesting thing about this setup..those spreaders with the Dicky John's have been used for over 20 years...just put new controls on the old system so they certainly paid for them selves. Actually they changed this year to augers and got rid of the belts to save maintenance expenses. As a former excavation contractor I appreciate the investment/return concept. These things have spread a lot of salt over the last 20 years or so carried around by 3 generations of trucks! They evolved from simple look and see controls to the ones we have now. Partly because we do "State" roads on contract and have to have an accurate way to know how much salt was put on a road. I have both State and County roads and have to track mileage and salt usage so they can bill out the work accurately. From what I have seen around the North East, we are a bit ahead in this area than most I have seen. Its also very cost effective as Salt is really expensive! So first knowing how much is required and being able to meter the right amount allows a "just enough" strategy for spreading salt..everyone wins. Less on the road to eat cars, we stretch our supply's further than most around here..by far. That alone cost justifies the new controls. Also the pattern of the spread is efficient to get the most out of the salt spread...we can turn up or down the spinner.....but there is a pattern we look for. I usually run 225 lbs per lane mile...and during a storm back it down to 115 as its just going to get covered anyway...and it doesn't let the snow stick too hard to the road...then when the storm is done...225 on the flats and on the nasty hills 450 to bare them off. That's at a push of a button on the Dicky John controls real time. No knobs to turn. Really slick. At the end of the shift I know how much was spread on each road (Track start and end on each roads I do) I also know how many lanes miles I drove and the average speed...One load usually is good for two trips around a typical 55-60 mile route. Many come in and reload anyway after one 50 mile cycle (Trucks carry 12-13tons typically..so 50 miles at 225 is half that)..but sometimes you can't and just have to run until its too light. I did that two nights ago...having those controls and knowing how much you are both using and there for how much is left really makes those long 200 mile stormy nights w/o reload possible. From a drivers point of view...and if I was still a business owner..these things are worth their weight in gold.

Autocar

Bibbyman Iam with you take time to smell the roses  ;D I looked at timber this morning it was snowing maybe 8 degrees I felt I was the luckyest man in the world to see the beauty. But I don't have to tell you guys that your there every day also. Just remember take time to enjoy some of it  ;D
Bill

g_man

snowstorm

weimedog.......do you pre wet the salt??i dont cus i usesand with only a little salt in it. newoutfit put up the winter sand this yr.200 ton salt 2000yds same as always ....but all the salt is on the bottom of the pile. so the top froze. lots of stuff that wont go thru the shute. how long is the wing on that truck?maybe its the pic but it looks short. you run carbide edges? cover over them? was looking at what i paid for edges last yr.$900to do bolth plows once 2 weeks ago same edges $1200. carbide on dustpan plain doubles on the wing. sounds like an active week 1 to2 tomorrow big storm wed thr. and clipper this week end

woodbill2

Quote from: Magicman on January 23, 2011, 11:01:36 PM
I could watch elk all day long.  Only cows?

I actually see this herd quite often. There are 4 or 5 bulls. None of them showed up in these photos however.
Rain doesn't get things wet, it makes them grow. So next time you get rained on, remember you're growing, not getting wet.

weimedog

Quote from: snowstorm on January 24, 2011, 09:00:20 PM
weimedog.......do you pre wet the salt??i dont cus i usesand with only a little salt in it. newoutfit put up the winter sand this yr.200 ton salt 2000yds same as always ....but all the salt is on the bottom of the pile. so the top froze. lots of stuff that wont go thru the shute. how long is the wing on that truck?maybe its the pic but it looks short. you run carbide edges? cover over them? was looking at what i paid for edges last yr.$900to do bolth plows once 2 weeks ago same edges $1200. carbide on dustpan plain doubles on the wing. sounds like an active week 1 to2 tomorrow big storm wed thr. and clipper this week end

Wing is 12 ft. we don't "pre wet" the salt although we are setup for Calcium Chloride and some for salt brine per State Spec..(Haven't run the Brine) yet. Both one way and wing have Steel Blade backed by Carbides (Like a carbide "sandwich" between the steels blade & plow) and then both shoes on the plow frame and those "roll" shoes behind the blades on the plow, three "rolls" per plow & wing. We also put additional Carbide Blocks at each end of the wing...you can see them better in the pics of my last years office:

snowstorm

so tell me ....do you ........hate......mailboxs as much as i do??????here a lot of them are a ft or two from the edge of the pavement. any trouble with driveway plowers pushing across the rd.??tends to wind me up when you find a 3ft high pile in the middle of one lane. they keep doing it. fill there driveway full.....na wouldnt do that. cut there plow in to with a saw all...na shouldnt

Tom

There must be a heck of war going on between the US postal service and the snow plows up there, with the citizens running around in no-man's-land in between.

Thank goodness that we don't have to have our roads plowed, water runs off most of the time.  Our mail carriers will not deliver mail if the box isn't at the right height and distance from the road.  Some will raise Cain about a box being too far off fo the road too.  Until vandals damage it, they believe it belongs to the Post Office. The landowner is the provider and maintenance department.  :D

NB sawdust

The view half of the year doing firewood....

The other half of the year cutting in the woods .... except with waist deep snow right now .....

clww

When I'm at my real job, I look out onto the flight line and see 50+ F/A-18 Hornets each day. If we're at sea, it's usually water all around. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

snowstorm

Quote from: Tom on January 25, 2011, 04:32:12 PM
There must be a heck of war going on between the US postal service and the snow plows up there, with the citizens running around in no-man's-land in between.

Thank goodness that we don't have to have our roads plowed, water runs off most of the time.  Our mail carriers will not deliver mail if the box isn't at the right height and distance from the road.  Some will raise Cain about a box being too far off fo the road too.  Until vandals damage it, they believe it belongs to the Post Office. The landowner is the provider and maintenance department.  :D
yup it is a war zone with mailboxs. if you rode with me one nite you would hate em too. dodge them things all nite long. few yrs back this guy calls says i hit his  cracked the post. said nope if i hit it i would have cleaned it off. tried to sue me the town international for building the truck. insurance co was going to cave in to him...except state law says since there are in the road right of way he didnt own the land it was on. month later his got hit again...........wasnt me either time

beenthere

snowstorm
Our county guys used to keep count how many papers they could get to flip out of the paper holder box. Said if the wing plow, snow, distance, and speed was just right the snow would push the steel post back and toss the paper out when it snapped back.
I guess that was to help ease the boredom some :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snowstorm

havnt tried that one .....yet.....can open the door tho. thing of it is youcant see the wing . you get used to where it is. and the truck is 15' wide with the plows down

weimedog

Don't think we've ever had a paper tossing contest...we have had deer tossing contests! The first year I was there..and I was going thru our training program, there was some road kill was on the snow "windrow" and the guys on the different shift who went by on that road to their routes were trying to see if they could get it to the other side....the guy who was training me, was..nuts..and took it upon himself to show me how that was done and took a hard right at 35 right into that bank (Like a push back truck would do) when the truck got over to where the edge of the ditch was..and leaned into that snow..I heard that "whack" and watch the thing (deer) sail about 25 feet into the farm field behind..lol but...the wing had now poped up..and on the way out the front corner caught and that thing came right up at me and looked like it was coming thru the door!...fortunately just smashed the mirror. I didn't say a word...:)

isawlogs

Did the plowing trip for a while , now I get to sit back and look at this when temps dip down to the -30°C's

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Norm

isawlogs

Thanks Norm , it was -30°C that morning a few days ago, took that pic just before heading to the wood stove.   fire_smiley
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

I agree with Norm.  Somebody should live there.    ;)    :)

isawlogs

While out doing this mornings project, I got a glimps of this, it is related to this thread so I thought of takin' a pic for you all  ;) 

Marcel

beenthere

:D :D
That looks like a pretty awkward piece of riggin.
I can see some bent-up iron coming real soon. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sherwood

I am looking forward to getting back up there this spring.

Pain in life is mandatory. Suffering is optional.

Magicman

Most, if not all of ours have been dismantled and removed.  Maybe if they had waited a few years they could have rented tower space to Cell Phone Providers.

isawlogs, that looks like some backyard engineering.   ;D

isawlogs

Quote from: beenthere on January 26, 2011, 10:58:38 AM
:D :D
That looks like a pretty awkward piece of riggin.
I can see some bent-up iron coming real soon. :)
Let me see, that has been clearing snow now for four or five years that I know of , may of been used before that  and it aint ever bucled up yet , and I dont see how and when it will  ;)  I know the pic aint all that clear , but in my defense that thing was going at a good clip and I needed react ifin I wanted a pic.
If you look closely at the front end of the loader, you will see a set of smaller wheels , there are a set on the rear also, this loader is used with this plow to clear the train track in front of the house here. That blade rides on the tracks a set of shoes on it that keep it from wear, and also for road crossings.
I don't know why they have it that far out front. Guess if it works why fix it.

Marcel

Onthesauk

Another lookout here, up in NW Washington.  Picture taken by plane a few days ago.

http://www.pbase.com/nolock/image/132085196
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Magicman

My Dad always said, "It's good to know, but it is better to understand".   :)

beenthere

Quote from: isawlogs on January 26, 2011, 07:03:11 PM
............. If you look closely at the front end of the loader, you will see a set of smaller wheels , there are a set on the rear also, this loader is used with this plow to clear the train track in front of the house here. That blade rides on the tracks a set of shoes on it that keep it from wear, and also for road crossings.
I don't know why they have it that far out front. Guess if it works why fix it.

Then knowing that it is on a track, makes a lot of difference. :)  Only has forward push.
south central Wisconsin

ely

here is the office window viewtoday at 9 am or so. :-\

paul case

that bull in the first pic is standing out in the pond about 10'. 2-9-11.  pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

paul case

they clean up pretty good when it stops snowing. they all looked much better this evening. pc
pc

Thank You Sponsors!