iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM Battery

Started by Knute, January 21, 2011, 04:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

I left my power feed switch on for about 3 weeks in very cold weather, so the battery was entirely dead and probably frozen. The battery is only 5 months old.Will this battery be ok if charged, or should I plan on a replacement? Thanks

Jeff

Never hurts to try, but if it froze, its history.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

Yeah give it a shot but my experience is it will never be very good even if it does take a charge.

pigman

Be sure to thaw the battery completely before charging.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Knute

Thanks. I'll try, but it sounds like I will need a new one.

Magicman

Yup, a new battery is in your future.  Even though it was your careless error that caused the failure, the battery probably will be warranty replaced.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

That callous remark was probably true. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Chuck White

If you are going to try to charge it, I'd suggest use a trickle charger for a while (maybe a day or two) before switching to 10Amp.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Not meant to be callous toward the OP.  The fact is that even though we sometimes screw up, the battery store still will probably warranty replace it.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Qweaver

I just did the same thing on my LT28...Twice  ::)  Both times the battery charged back up OK.  It still had a little charge but not enough to turn the engine over,  so I guess it did not freeze.  I've sawed several times since then and the battery seems fine.  Maybe I just got lucky.  I  have one of those smart battery chargers and I've saved several batteries with it.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

flibob

There are some interesting articles in various other web sites about the care and use of batteries.  Totally discharging is a big no-no but there might be enough left for your lt28.  I would do as magicman suggested.  Return it and see what happens.   Good luck.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

Knute

This is the battery that came in my LT28 5 months ago, so it would probably have to be replaced by Woodmizer. I don't really want to ask since it was my mistake. I have it on a 4 amp charger now so I will see what happens. It seems to be taking a charge, but the question is, will it hold it.

MartyParsons

The batteries in our sawmills carry a 1 year free replacement from date of purchase.
If the customer has a battery failure they can take the battery to the nearest dealer
for replacement. Customers are required to go to the battery dealer if within 35
miles of their location. Here are the websites to find the nearest dealer:
DEKA http://www.dekabatteries.com/ Go to the top of the page and click
where to buy. Enter zip code.
The customer can call DEKA @ 800-237-6126 (there is a sticker on the battery to
showing this number). They will direct them to the nearset dealer. If a dealer is not
in their area, they are to call Taylor Blackburn @ 317-236-6288. They will be able to
purchase and send receipt to them for reimbursement

Hope this helps!
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

woodmills1

just another example of why I choose woodmizer
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Knute

Thank you! If mine doesn't work out, I will contact them. Sure glad I decided on Wood-Mizer, Should have done it in 1982.

Magic Smoke

Be careful! Never try to jump or charge a frozen battery...they can explode.

Knute

I charged the battery for two days with a 4 amp charger. It works fine and is holding a charge.

Thank You Sponsors!