Big Truck in The Ditch(pics)

Started by CX3, January 21, 2011, 02:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Ianab

At least it's still shiny side up  :)

I assume you got it hauled out without too much damage?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Weekend_Sawyer

That's funny, usually we get the story and no pix.
Now we got a pix so what's the story? ???
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

fishpharmer

The great abundance of snow caused it ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

pigman

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

northwoods1

JV

That's when you find out how much pucker power you have.   :D
I don't see a blade, putting down sand/salt?
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Texas Ranger

Those SW Missouri roads can be tough in a ice/snow storm. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Chuck White

We had one of out town's snowplow/sanders roll right over on it's side a couple of years ago.

Really changes their appearance.

The guy driving said:  "the pucker factor kicked right in".
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mooseherder

Dijya get sucked in after gettin' too close to da edge?

Jeff

Mooseherder

WH_Conley

Bill

lumberjack48

That scared me, a person just don't know when or where
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Some areas in PA are notorious for sink holes due to mine tunnels that we later built on top of or that ran under existing homes and businesses. There were actually sink holes that swallowed up entire houses and buildings in one fell swoop, but this is the first time that I have seen a sink hole swallow a snow plow.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Jeff

From my understanding what was first reported to be a sink hole, was now a top level of a parking garage and the truck was loaded with sand.

Mooseherder

Jeez, don't they have nothin' bigger for Parking Garages? :D

CX3

Jeff, cool video.  That is pucker power at its best. 

My story is this.  I push for Modot as emergency help.  I came down this hill and seen lights ahead from cars in the ditch.  I slowed down and started blasting the salt pretty thick.  When I came around the bend, there were 13 cars every which way.  In ditch, in road, in other ditch.  It was a total road block.  The second I stopped the truck just slid right in ditch.  There was about a quarter inch of ice with a couple inches of snow on top.  Real slick.  Yes there is a plow in the truck.  It busted and tweaked real hard to the side.  Just after I hit ditch, a guy pulls up beside me to ask if I was ok.  He was at a dead stop talking to me, and his truck started sliding and hit the state truck, blowing out his passenger front tire and caving in his door.  This happened at 6 am and i didnt get out of ditch until 10 am. It took awhile for everyone to get pulled out, including me.  Another state truck, loaded, couldnt budge me, so we had to wait on the big wrecker.  I know this wasnt much snow, but the people here get nuts when the roads are covered.  They still set the cruise on 55 and let er rip.  Ive got some more pics, I will put them up in a little bit.  You can see better what happened. 
You Better Believe It!

SPIKER

YIKES that looks like no fun.

I was behind a snow plow 4 or so years ago, had probably 6" of snow on road at the time, the guy (probably a part timer) was spreading salt & DID NOT have the blade down ?  dumping salt on 6" of snow without plowing first? anyhow he was coming up to a "Y" in the road and someone was coming DOWN the Y (hillside) into the road we were on.   the oncoming car looked like it might not stop and the plow driver went left of center & hit his brakes  ::)  Ya the road turned and he didnt...   If he would have had the blade down it would have stopped prior to hitting the hill side ditch & rolling on it's side.   I stopped and a didnt have the heart to tell him it was as much his fault as the other guy's who BTW was stopped in time but scared them both probably.   The other guy was going back past the salt depot (where the plow driver pulled out in-front of me.)   Took the driver back there with him so they could get help getting the truck put & up righted.

Now I want to know if CX3 stayed in that seat without a seat belt based solely on pucker factor>??? :o  :D

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

CX3

The one pic is where the guy slid into me.  The other shows what I pulled up on.  There was a massive wreck on that ice patch. 
You Better Believe It!

CX3

There was only small pucker factor for me.  I was literally sitting still in road, and it just started sliding.  I knew what was about to happen.  It happened pretty slow. 

As far as damage Ian, there were some shear pins in the plow that needed replaced, and the rear passenger brake squeaked a little because of mud in it. Other than that the old beast drove out pretty good. If that bank wasnt there she would have been on its side.  I was fully loaded and they are pretty top heavy. 

The bossman told me I did the right thing, whatever that meant
You Better Believe It!

JV

Snowplows can give you some thrills.  Years ago, I ran street plows, runway plows, and other snow removal equipment.  One day I made a high speed cleanup pass down the runway and hit a patch of ice as I was slowing down.  I went sideways and then hit dry pavement.  The plow was standing on two wheels and luckily I got her straightened up.  I didn't need a seatbelt on that one.   :D 

Another time, I was in a loader cleaning a parking lot, and hit a protuding manhole cover.  I needed a seatbelt that time.  The windshield stopped me.  The real fun was running a 45 to 50 mph down the runway in a line of plows and the only thing you could see was the taillight of the guy in front of you.  Really had to trust the lead plow driver.  No one ever got hurt or had a real accident.  Watching a line of plows turning on the end of pass and weaving in and out passing each other was like watching a drill team.  Sometimes you had to make a figure 8 with the line without running over one another.  Not sure if my response time is good enough anymore.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Magicman

Nothing snow related, but the driver certainly was not paying attention.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CX3

At least he had his load strapped down good :D
You Better Believe It!

Magicman

One failure out of four is not bad.   He was only hauling those cants about 5 miles from the sawmill to the RR spur.

With the twisted frames, I don't think that much was salvaged out of that, including his job.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Down here it is muddy roads and log trucks.

sawguy21

Spilled logs are a regular occurrence here. Years ago I traveled a logging road where  almost all the corners had a sign Pete's corner, Grumpy's corner, etc marking the spot where somebody dumped a load.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Banjo picker

Quote from: Mooseherder on January 21, 2011, 07:01:26 PM
Jeez, don't they have nothin' bigger for Parking Garages? :D

That was probably the only plow around for miles...I heard a man on the 6 pm news from Ga saying how silly it would be for the state of Ga to spend millions of dollars on snow removal eq that they would only use ever 10 or so years...He probably took some heat for that statement...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Texas Ranger

Was there a Sawguy21 corner? ;D 8)

Reddog

Quote from: CX3 on January 21, 2011, 08:03:19 PM
The bossman told me I did the right thing, whatever that meant

I have to agree with him!
I take that to mean you didn't plow into anyone. Yup the truck is in the ditch, but you where stopped way away from any other cars except the one that slid into you.  :)
To bad you didn't have sander boxes or auto chains on the drives to be able to stop yourself.

sawguy21

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 21, 2011, 11:07:23 PM
Was there a Sawguy21 corner? ;D 8)
Yup :D I was coming out with a pickup and got in the ruts of someone else's  trip into the boonies on an icy hill . Slid sideways and stopped with the front wheels still on the road. Late in the day and nobody in radio range. Fortunately I had the mtc on the back for weight and got out, I was taking it back to town to get the 4wd fixed. ::) I shudder at the thought of hauling on that road but those crazies did it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Black_Bear

January 3rd after a foot of snow. Feller couldn't pull him out - too icy. Had to wait for the skidder.

snowstorm

cx3........salt wont do a thing for traction ........you know that everyone that plows is gonna go off some time it comes with the job. looks like that sands out the back. there ok but if its real slick youll have to back up it hills. mine is an mg side dump sands in front of the rear wheels. in an ice storm ..chain up front and rear......front so ya can steer

weimedog

2006,07,and 08 I had a t ruck with the salt conveyor on the driver side and discharged right behind the driver door in front of the rear tires...We have lots of elevation change here and I had the toughest of those route before going night shift..where I now plow ALL the route from time to time..375 miles plus. That front discharge was a good combination when Freezing rain happens....I have had nights where I would spin out on a hill..and go stationary unload and get 8 ft...stop....roll back..wait for the salt to work...go another 8-10ft past that...spin out..roll back..wait for the salt...do it again and again to get up hills! We can't run Chains as I mix State routes with ours...at least some do..and I was one of the lucky ones..(NO CHAINS!)...you just do what you have to do! The rear dischage truck we just back up the hills like that until you can't go any farther...I liked that because its easier for me to slide FORWARDS back down the hill vs. that backwards slide crap...done that too many times!

Pulled this fellow out last nite!

In the ditch..I put my plow right within 6ft and chained them together...and yanked him out. (View from my office!)

He's out

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

snowstorm

i only chain up for the really bad ice storms. i have a heavy spec ih 18k ft 30k rear with a detriot locker, 300 cummins 8ll it gets around real well. even has double wings dont use the left. used a 1ton ford for yrs 9ft plow 9ft wing that worked ok was fast but didnt do much with 3ft drifts

weimedog

Truck I run now has 46K rears 22K front, 18spd, 425HP Cummins. I really like this one. I had my own trucks for a while in Colorado. My favorite was an old Ford LTL9000 400cummins, 13spd, 46K reads 18K front..actually just sold it last fall. It sat around here for 10 years hauling nothing but horse manure....made me feel terrible. Now everything I drive is pretty new...but not mine.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Bobus2003

The county slid a John Deere 772 Grader off the road here a few weeks back.. Used a Cat 545 Grapple skidder to Yank him out

CX3

Im pretty new to the snow plowing thing.  I appreciate the tips, snowstorm.
You Better Believe It!

snowstorm

anything ya need to know just ask been doing it for a longggg time

weimedog

Bill Gaiche

weimedog , why are you parking in te ditch when there is a perfectly good road to your left to park on ???, bg

weimedog

*DanG good question! Guess these old eye's just didn't see the road!

Actually if you look a little closer, and whats coming out the back..we were fixing washed out and soft shoulders that day after a big rain...the shoulder just...gave way in the front of the truck. Didn't even drive in..it just caved while the truck was sitting there and then the truck slid the rest of the way in...also the camera is tilted..the actual level is the road..lol yea..its also a down hill turn. the camera takes away the actual look and feel of the true steepness of that particular spot and shoulder...we always deal with steep crap and ugly shoulders..always pushing the edges..its not if your going in here, it when and how bad! It did take a minute to yank it out with..:

Nothin hurt but ego.

beenthere

Soft shoulder?

Looks like the ditch to me.  ;D

If spreading shoulder gravel, then a chute (like a concrete truck uses) to direct the gravel to the side seems like could be rigged so's one could stay out of the ditch. :)

But figure you know that already (and just read your explanation). Stuff like that happens.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

weimedog

We actually do have a chute that goes on that particular truck and sometimes we use the front discharge trucks that discharge at the driver side front side of the box and the are essentially side discharge vehicles...with chutes...but not that day!  AND that spot on the road..it is essentially a ditch! :)

(You would be amazed at how many times i've just hung the truck with the left side tires while keeping in motion along a shoulder/ditch and not gone in....this time..oh well statistics! Wish I had the front view at the right angle so you could see a tire off the ground)

Bill Gaiche

weimedog , had to rib you a little. I knew ther was more to the story. The type of work that you are doing always has those built in supprises. Keep those roads clear and in good shape and have a good day, bg

weimedog

I know...keep the ribbin going its the spice of life!   :)

Thank You Sponsors!