iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood allergies

Started by Texas Ranger, January 21, 2011, 12:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

replace the <code>    </code>   with  <quote>   </quote>

I can see the words, but they go off the screen so a scroll is in order. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: tyb525 on January 22, 2011, 06:59:19 PM
If I had anything close to a problem with a species, it was when I milled a bunch of small northern white ceder logs, and I think that was just cause I hate the smell of the stuff.

I never knew it was that pungent. Everyone usually likes the smell. Oh well, it is what it is. :D ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jim king

I am using Quote.  I donĀ“t know what is the problem.

Jeff

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 22, 2011, 07:08:33 PM
replace the <code>    </code>   with  <quote>   </quote>

I can see the words, but they go off the screen so a scroll is in order. ;)

I got it. :)  Jim, you had one set of code tags.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Burlkraft

I am allergic to Bocote.

I got a big chunk of it at least 10 years ago and it's still a big chunk!

I break out in a rash just like Jim's guy does.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

doctorb

Nice!  I can see why you know all about it, given your place of residence, but how can Burlkraft been around it enough to be allergic.  Burlkraft, did you spend some time in the tropics?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

jim king

It is a very popular imported wood for turners.  Available at Woodcraft, Rockler and dozens of other sellers.

SwampDonkey

Global trade doc, you'd be surprised what you can buy in the USA. ;)

tyb525

I'm not sure why, I like the smell of ERC but not NWC ???
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pineywoods

I love the smell of ERC, but the dry dust from it gives my sinuses fits, sneezing, hacking. I saw some of it, but I have 3 fans and the wind blowing in the right direction.Walnut sawdust on my bare skin causes a rash somewhat like poison ivy.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SwampDonkey

Love the smell of walnut in the planer, with that chocolate brown color, I think I'm in Hersey's chocolate factory. :D :D :D

Sniff'n too much walnut dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q7mjoxHzm4

Burlkraft

Quote from: doctorb on January 22, 2011, 08:37:12 PM
Nice!  I can see why you know all about it, given your place of residence, but how can Burlkraft been around it enough to be allergic.  Burlkraft, did you spend some time in the tropics?

No time in the tropics, just a lot of time turning without proper dust collection.

Bocote is very available here like Jim said.

I like the look of it and I have turned a lot of it, but we don't use it anymore.

If anybody wants to try it I have a hunk that looks like a piece of weathered fire wood  :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Kevin

White cedar is one of the worst species I work with.
The doc prescribed a saline nasal wash and another product fluticasone furoate nasal spray.
My advice to anyone not using a mask is to start using one.

Magicman

Yup.  See Reply #6.  That is the cheapest price that I have ever found on the disposable mask that I always wear.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!