iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you carry your chainsaw on your tractor?

Started by Just Me, January 21, 2011, 06:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Me

I just throw my saw on the floor of the tractor [no cab] and a couple of times it has slid off and I almost ran it over. I need to come up with something to carry it but thought I would see what solutions you guys have come up with first.

Thanks, Larry

ladylake

I made a hook mounted on the fender on my tractor which I don't use much since I got my skidloader.  On that I have to carry in the bucket.   steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Just Me

Quote from: ladylake on January 21, 2011, 07:37:33 AM
I made a hook mounted on the fender on my tractor which I don't use much since I got my skidloader.  On that I have to carry in the bucket.   steve

I used to carry mine in the bucket until I got sidetracked one day and picked up a load of fill with the saw in the bucket. Not so good.....

pineywoods

My kubota front loader has a built-in chainsaw scabbord

The one on the other side is full of hydraulic hoses.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

John Mc

At one point I made myself a wooden scabbard by bore cutting lengthwise down the center of a 2X6. I clamped the scabbard on to various places on my tractor. It worked out OK. I never did come up with a permanent place to clamp it. The scabbard eventually split from the vibration when I clamped it to a support member of my brush hog (in retrospect, a stupid place to clamp it). I never replaced it.

I may make another one some day... out of something more durable than pine. Or maybe I'll make a scabbard by sandwiching pieces of plywood together and come up with a more permanent mounting system than the clamp I was using.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

smalldog

Hang in there body...just a little further to go.

thecfarm

No idea what you have behind the seat,some have the fuel tank there.But on my NH I had more than enough room to put a plywood box behind the seat.Room for a couple gallons of gas and a gallon of bar oil and a cooler for water.Does not look pretty after 16 years but it does work.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

I made a wood scabbard from two pcs of plywood separated and clamped to the ROPS

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CX3

Beenthere, i am glad you posted those pics.  That looks identical to what we had when we logged with a tractor.  Good looking setup, and if I had to do it again, thats what I would have.  Works well.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

smalldog

Nice pictures! It looks like a good location for it. Does your plywood scabbard have an open end for longer bars? I'm wondering if a person could have a shorter, open ended version so it's not so long when not in use. Then when you do use it, just slide your bar protector over the exposed end of the bar. What do you think? (going out to look at tractor and supply of plywood.)
Hang in there body...just a little further to go.

beenthere

Thanks
It works very well for me. Handy to reach it when it is needed, easy to slip back in when going back to the tractor, avoids setting the saw down for any reason and forgetting where it is, keeps the chain out of the dirt.

My only concern (fear) is backing into a tree when on a hillside and catching the handle. Have come close, but so far avoided it.

Had that close call a couple times with the saw in the bucket and forgetting it was there.  ::) ::)

smalldog
The 20" bar just barely fits, and if not careful a tooth may be exposed. A longer bar could stick through the end, but should be covered or risk a cut or torn clothing.

Tom was concerned there might be too much vibration for the saw, beings the saw is held just by the blade. I've watched for that, but it doesn't seem to pose a problem.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mpuste

Beenthere,
Does your scabbard interfere with the "glove" box underneath it or folding ROPS?

beenthere

No folding ROPS, and the "glove" box is nearly inaccessible. Can get at the things stored/kept there. Could make a little more room, but hasn't been enough of a bother.
south central Wisconsin

bill m

I have 2 saws with me at all times. 

I also have a scabbard on my winch but don't have a picture of it.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

caveman

I carry one on each fork and the axe goes behind the seat of the M7040 Kubota.  I know there is a better way but I have not devised it yet.
Caveman
Caveman

tim in New York

I  built a box out of wood about 12" wide X 20" long X 8" tall.  Bolted it to the spot where a loader would attach, just ahead of the brake pedals.  Keeps my 026 just fine.  I did cut a slot about 1" wide in the front of the box for the bar to stick out.

Tim

Banjo picker

Several neat ideas here, but I am with Bill ...If I plan on firing up a saw there will be a back up close by....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

weimedog

Nothin fancy here...I have on my chaps and strapped down with two bungee's right up there between the seat and the "triangle"

It sets right in the cab with this one and the old Backhoe...
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Just Me

Bill M

I have basically the same tractor but a bit smaller [2330] with a TL250 loader. I like the scabbard on the loader, does it hamper getting on and off? I have seen those scabbords before but now that I am looking for one I can't remember where. I'll find one and put it there, or maybe on the other side as I don't have a step on that side anyway.

I have a tank in the back where your tray is, and I usually have something on the three point I want to watch so I don't want to get in the way of that but a place for a gas can/oil would be good.

Looks like you use your NH hard, how has it held up?

Reddog

beenthere

Quote from: DarkBlack on January 22, 2011, 07:18:34 AM
...........I used to carry my saw on the tractor supported by the bar the way you have it. Worked good until I went over rough ground one day. Saw wouldn't cut worth a darn. I found out with the powerhead swinging around over bumps, it had bent the bar just enough.
I want to come up with a mount that supports the powerhead. If you have smooth land you should be ok.

Note: This is a Stihl saw with a Stihl bar.  ;D

A cradle extended out to support the saw head could easily be added for other brands and bars. :)  Don't feel inhibited by this design that works for me. Likely you caught a tree like I described and bent it.
south central Wisconsin

g_man

Not to fancy - just a bracket across the ROPS and a plywood shelf. Holds two saws and a milk crate full of useful stuff.

bill m

No, it does not get in my way. All of my scabbards are made from 1/4 lexan. The tray on the 3 pt. hitch is only on when pulling the log trailer. I had the same type of rear screen with a holder for gas and oil on my tc45 and it was not in the way of the fuel tank. So far all of the New Holland tractors I have owned have held up very well with no problems at all. I will try to get a picture of the scabbard on my winch tomorrow. I also have a scabbard on my grapple

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Al_Smith

:D In all this discussion of the proper way to transport a chainsaw via a tractor perhaps Gypo logger/Yukon saw man/Franks Planks ,aka John Lambert should chime in with posting the improper way .

Old Gyp had several saws that resembled metal pancakes from a bad trip through the woods . :D

The worst I ever did was back a D4 Cat over a tool box but I'll always know where the tools are at except it would take a cutting torch to open the box .

ENTS

I lost my original 044 to my 933 Cat backing over it.  Usually had both saws (one on each side) bungeed down.  In a hurry one day and in heavy tall brush, backing up and forward, branch yanked the 044 off it's resting spot.  Didn't notice it until I went to use the saw.  I now have a box full of nuts and bolts and what not from that saw.  RIP

I've seen some good ideas here for stowing your saw on the tractor.  On my TC40 I usually put them on the floor by my left foot, also bungeed down.  It sorta tears up the rubber mat and they are always in the way.  Me thinks I will try out one of these ideas.
Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

Thank You Sponsors!