Notice anything? ARGHHH!!!!!!

Started by Jeff, January 18, 2011, 09:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

This first line added by suggestion.
"Blatant, low quality ripoff of a good product."

A Spam I got yesterday  >:(:

Dear Sir or Madam,
I'm Emily from a manufacturer specializing in producing garden sprayer,chain saw,log hauler,lawn mower,
snow blower,leaf blower in China,we always give you a very competitive price.
Please check my attached pictures at first and let me know,Thanks.
Thanks and best regards
emily
Jiashan Landmaster machinery Co,.Ltd
Address: JinYang East Road No.568, Jiashan County, Zhejiang Province,China
MSN: knightaiamil@hotmail.com
Mail:kingkids.emily@gmail.com

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Burlkraft

They couldn't even take out the Logrite logo  :-\ :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

ely

i was going to say... they even stole the flipping picture. that sort of thing irks me to the enth degree. as i said buy american.

Warbird

Gary_C

The Chinese claim they are moving on this issue as I just read this morning in a news article.

Rampant copying has hobbled China's efforts to attract investment from foreign technology firms. Companies say they fear their secrets will be stolen if they do high-level research in China.

In advance of Hu's visit, China has arrested more than 4,000 people to signal that it's committed to policing intellectual product theft. Commerce Minister Chen Deming has pledged to continue the campaign.

"The Chinese are moving in the right direction," Wasch says. "Should they be moving faster? Yes."

Problem is there is a difference between moving and actually doing something.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

metalspinner

The arrest of a few thousand in a nation of a few billion could hardly be called a signal to anything.  And don't forget, those copied items are being purchased by Americans. >:(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

pigman

QuoteIn advance of Hu's visit, China has arrested more than 4,000 people to signal that it's committed to policing intellectual product theft. Commerce Minister Chen Deming has pledged to continue the campaign.
I think Mr Deming is just bringing in 4000 of the worst coppiers so he can give them an award for helping China's foreign trade. :(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Chuck White

No wonder the US is in this shape.  >:(  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

And remember, we know what you actually get if you buy one of those...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyYvJ2M7tr8

jim king

I read this thread this morning.  I just stepped out to buy a tape measure and ran across one of the last Amazonian loggers on my way to buy a 79 cent Chinese STAN DER LEY  tape measure.  The paint will fall off the tape in a few weeks.

Here you can buy any kind off knock off of any brand of most anything.  We have American movies on sale by the street peddlers within a week or less of release in the States for a couple of dollars and of course copied on Chinese disks.

A tired logger in front of my house

My new STAN DER LEY tape measure

wesdor

I'm happy to say that I purchased an arch much like that a couple of years ago.  Thankfully it was from Logrite.  It is really blatant when they can't even photoshop out the logo.

Like others have said, buy American.

alleyyooper

Might just as well buy the brand name Stanley, Porter Cable, Ridgid, Milwakee or any thing else, Thereall made in china now any way.

;D   Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

SwampDonkey

The tragic part in all this is when you buy something like that it probably doesn't say Made in China on the website of the 'pusher'. Then you get the tool and it turns out to be junk, then everyone spreads the word that so and so is producing junk products. This is what knock offs do to legitimate entrepreneurs. All it takes is a review from someone with their eyes closed to become fact. Someone with something to blat about is more likely to be heard than someone satisfied and content.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brucer

So Jeff, why don't you add a line to your first post saying something like: "Blatant, low quality ripoff of a good product."

Reason I mention it, if you search Google for the name of the company, this post comes up #5 on the list. It might warn off potential victims buyers of this junk.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Jeff

Busy Beaver Lumber

It is an unfortunate trait of mankind, that is the willingness to copy another man's invention for profit, but unfortunately it has been going on for centuries, and there does not appear to be any end in sight.

What is interesting to note is how society is willing to tolerate or accept it with certain commodoites or countries, and less willing to accept it under other circumstances, especially when it strikes us in our own wallets.

Consider the following example. According to the internet, Dolmar is credited with developing the chainsaw in 1927. Then along comes Stihl in 1929 and kicks it up a notch and mass produces chainsaws very similar in designs. If we respect the right of an inventions original developer so much, than why is Stihl such a popular saw? Why does everyone not buy the Dolmar brand and respect the fact that they probably put a lot of time and effort into developing the first chainsaw rather than reward Stihl for coming up with their own version of a saw that was designed and marketed two years prior by Dolmar? In fact today, Stihl is one of the most popular chainsaws on the market, demonstrating the benefits of copying someone elses invention. How is this any different from what the Chinese, are doing today?

Please do not get me wrong, I am in no way supporting what the Chinese do in copying the products developed by others. What they are doing is nothing new in society. What is new is the extent to which they are doing it and the drastic impact that it is having on the American economy, especially at a time when unemployment is so high and we have become more sensitive to the need to keep American workers employed and keep american dollars on our own soil.

Today a US patent is barely worth the paper it is printed on or the cost associated with getting it. Even amongst american companies, one producer will basically copy the majority of another companies design and change it just enough to get around the patent held by the other company.

If the US government realy wanted to do something about the Chinese ( or for that matter any other foreign country) making cheap knockoffs or blatent copies of American products, they could easily ban the imports of any foreign manufacturer reported to be importing these cheap knock off's. But alas, the government does nothing about it, more than likely because they like all the money the government and wealthy friends get from allowing these copy cat products to be imported. This unfortunately brings to light another one of societies faults, that is "the greater the amount of money to be made, the greter is the willingness to look the other way over contraversial issues". If there is enough money associated with looking the other way, nobody is better at pretending to be blind than the US government. Take cigarettes for example. For decades individual states have preached and ran TV ads stating that they are bad for you health, but apparently not bad enough that they are willing to make them illegal and give up all the millions of dollars in taxes they generate for the states every day.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Jeff

Oh, okay. I'm not near as disgusted as I was now.

Mooseherder

Jim,  That guy looks more like a Painter than a Logger. :D

Ironwood

For very small low "cap" businesses with great ideas/ designs, you need to just keep moving ahead w/ new and better stuff. I have had people copy good things I have done. I cant get hung up on it. My motto is: "if your not evloving your dying".

It is certainly unfortunate, but as Busy said, by no means a new phenonemon. The internet age has not helped matters much in this regard.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

jim king

QuoteJim,  That guy looks more like a Painter than a Logger.

I think he was probably negotiating the bribe with one of the timber certification groups to get his wood legal to bring to town and couldnĀ“t take any more.

SwampDonkey

Jim, your working your loggers too hard. Carrying them cants for miles in swamps and trying to keep from being eaten. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jim king

QuoteJim, your working your loggers too hard. Carrying them cants for miles in swamps and trying to keep from being eaten.
There is nothing in the jungle as dangerous as the Eco nuts in New York and Europe.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Ironwood

I could not agree more with your comment that the internet has helped to promote piracy

We sell a lot of comical decals on ebay, many of which are our own unique designs. Several years ago, I had a fellow that would copy just about every new design I put out there within a few hours or days of us originally posting it for sale. As time went one, he became even bolder and eventually started to copy our image and even cut and paste our item description into his ad, rather than create his own. Basically, he had us marked as a favorite seller and was duplicating our every move, then lowering his price to undercut us by a few cents.

Fortunately, once he started to copy our photos and text ebay put an end to him after giving him numerous warnings.

But it happens time and time again. We used to offer wood paddles on ebay with custom printing on the face and handle. When we first offered them for sale we were the only ones. Within three months there were a half dozen others offering them. One even had the nerve to send me an email and ask me where I bought my paddles.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Brucer

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on January 18, 2011, 07:08:57 PM
... According to the internet, Dolmar is credited with developing the chainsaw in 1927. Then along comes Stihl in 1929 and kicks it up a notch and mass produces chainsaws very similar in designs. ...

Way back in the 70's a guy named Ron Hall tried to figure out who invented the first portable chainsaw. He found so many different claims that it seems that everybody invented the first portable chainsaw. A lot depends on what you define as a "portable" chainsaw. In the end he concluded that Andreas Stihl was the inventor.

However, there are many cases in history where two (or more) inventors were working independently on the same invention with no knowledge of what the other person was up to. Sometimes the "first" guy got credit, sometimes not. It's almost as though the idea was sitting there waiting for the proper technology to make it, and the right market to sell it.

In the case of patent infringement, Stihl was first on many chainsaw features. But in 1939 the US government decided that all patents issued to German citizens were void, so US chainsaw makers promptly copied all Stihl's designs.

The case Jeff has brought up is completely different, however. This is not a case of simultaneous design. It's a blatant ripoff.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ianab

"The case Jeff has brought up is completely different, however. This is not a case of simultaneous design. It's a blatant ripoff."

Exactly.

If some other company, even a Chinese one, designs their own decent logging arch, then good on them. If it's built properly then it's going to cost a similar amount. Pay your money and take your choice.

But in this case, it's a cheap knock-off. So both the company that's being copied, and the sucker that buys the junk both get shafted.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!