iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel chainsaws?

Started by boatman, January 17, 2011, 09:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatman

I met a guy who had been in an Army transportation unit years ago and he said they had diesel chainsaws.  Any one ever seen one of these?

Dave Shepard

I've heard of them. I think one brand might have been Raket. We have saw collectors here that I'm sure will know.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

QuoteGoogle to find some.
Here is a YouTube vid

Bonus, it also kept mosquitoes away,  and if you got lost, you could send up smoke signals  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

terrifictimbersllc

Good thinking to leave the garage door open.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Al_Smith

Interesting but evidently it wasn't a marketing success .

I once saw a chain trencher that had a 12 HP single cylinder diesel .The thing was rope started .Very unique starting system .The thing had a racheting exhaust valve that acted in a way as a decompression release .It took about 4 or 5 revolutions of the crankshaft to fully release the valve .As such the cylnder was warmed by compression and towards the last revolutions the flywheel had enough inertia built up to carry in through a full compression stroke .It did however require several attempts to get it started in colder weather . I don't think there's a man alive that could have pulled that thing over on full compression

I imagine that mosquito fogger saw was a joy to get running  too .

boatman

The US Army only buys US made Equipment.  I haven't found any info on US diesel saws.

clww

When I was in the Army, prior to my Navy career, we had stuff not made in the USA. Things manufactured by our 'allies'.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

CX3

Quote from: boatman on January 18, 2011, 07:27:18 AM
The US Army only buys US made Equipment.  I haven't found any info on US diesel saws.

I can tell you right now that is not true
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Al_Smith

:D---nor was it 40 years ago ---

HolmenTree

Quote from: Ianab on January 17, 2011, 11:21:29 PM
QuoteGoogle to find some.
Here is a YouTube vid

Bonus, it also kept mosquitoes away,  and if you got lost, you could send up smoke signals  :D
:D Ianab I quess you wouldn't get alot of cold weather in New Zealand where you can see your own breath let alone a chainsaw's exhaust. It looked mighty frosty out in that video. From my information the Comet could run on diesel fuel, kerosine or a gas/oil mixture.
The Comet was a real feat of engineering in 1949. Like the first McCulloch 3-25 in 1949 the Comet could run in any position, but was 6 lbs lighter then the McCulloch. 19 lbs with b/c was very light which made the Comet attractive. The inventor demonstrated by dunking the Comet in a barrel of water and then immediately started it, unthinkable for a gas saw with electric ignition.
The Comet later became Jonsereds' first chainsaw the XA Raket.
I have seen photos of Army green Comets that model being the 1954 Comet S.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Now arises a question only based on curiosity .One could assume that thing being a diesel that firstly it most likely was 4 cycle but evidently that is not the case .So one would next assume that perhaps the air could have entered the crankcase and compressed then injected fuel at the proper time period to proved a power stroke .Makes sense .Kind of a scavanging 2 cycle much like a GM but lacking a blower .Of course the crankcase would provide a small amount of boost but not much .

The question now remains ,how was the engne lubricated ? It might be possible that number 2 diesel could get the job done ,kerosine less likely .Gas and oil yes .How then did it get in the crankcase unless with some form of carboration ? Obviously I've missed something . ???

HolmenTree

The Norwegian and then later the Swedish Comet was a 2 cycle diesel fed by a fuel injector. What lubricates it is beyond me, like the gas  the diesel fuel probably had oil added also.

Willard
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Well yes but it still had to get in the crankcase . I suppose it could have a misting  type contraption though that could have squirted a little within on the intake .That's doable .In fact it could have worked much akin to an oil pump .Ah speculation ,ain't it wonderfull . :D

boatman

So... no US built diesel chainsaws?

weimedog

Quote from: clww on January 18, 2011, 07:34:12 AM
When I was in the Army, prior to my Navy career, we had stuff not made in the USA. Things manufactured by our 'allies'.

That has to be an interesting story..Army then a second stint in the Navy!

Are 9mm Beretta's made in the USA?
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Al_Smith

Oh shucks even in 1969 a portion of the gear on that fast attack sub I was on was not made stateside . I can well imagine what it might be now .

weimedog

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 18, 2011, 12:45:15 PM
Oh shucks even in 1969 a portion of the gear on that fast attack sub I was on was not made stateside . I can well imagine what it might be now .

Bet u have some stories! Don't think chainsaws with long bars and submarines go together well.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Al_Smith

:D I'm sure not .

However concerning chainsaw for the US military or in fact much of the gear it would be very surprising how much is even made totally on these shores . Gov contractors seem to handle the truth very carelessly regarding that subject . Because of the politics involved a paper trail would be impossible to follow too . :(

beenthere

Quote from: boatman on January 18, 2011, 12:15:21 PM
So... no US built diesel chainsaws?

Why?  Do you know otherwise or ??   

;D

I wouldn't be surprised that the military would be interested in a diesel chainsaw to avoid having gasoline in the field. Wouldn't surprise me that they tested a variety of such saws over the years.
And wouldn't surprise me that they don't have them being used now with very few people knowing it.
It is an interesting concept, but the one in the video doesn't look like it would be much help to the military unless it was to go in under cover of a smoke screen. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Reddog

I question what they would even have chainsaws for, most of that type of work is farmed out to contractors.

Detcord is much fast for cutting a piece in two in a combat zone.

Al_Smith

On this subject of military applications of diesel engines I do know that recently the military had a small off road motorcycle .Not teeny weeny like a moped but more llke a 500c single .

My friend who owns several Harley road bikes had one at one time and it's now at  Jims Harley in Mendon Ohio in Jims museum .If I'm not mistaken that thing could run on just about anything from av gas to peanut oil .

It's doubtfull though the military would own any diesel powered chainsaws .I suppose those who might know would be in the sea bees or the army  engineers .  Were I to guess it would likely be Stihl though, gasoline .Olive drab????? :o

Postscrib : I was mistaken about av gas ,it was aviation kerosine like jp 4 .The original was a Harley model HLK .The newer version are made now by a seperate division of HD .

boatman

I shouldn't have said "only buys US made stuff".   I am working with with a government agency now that says they don't buy foreign made equipment unless there is no comparable US made product. 

I was just hoping there were some old '50-'60's diesel chainsaws laying around to play with.

SawTroll

Quote from: boatman on January 18, 2011, 07:27:18 AM
The US Army only buys US made Equipment.  .....

That is far from true, but I doubt the Comet or later Rakets was among the stuff they have used.  ;)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!