iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any Bigger Jobs??

Started by Trailer Builder, January 17, 2011, 08:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trailer Builder

I was wondering if many members herehave big logging and hauling jobs? All the things ive seen seem to be smaller jobs?

Jasperfield

Trailer Builder

we have a few people near us that have 20+ b double log trucks and 7 or so harvesting crews it just seems things are different elsewhere??

Jasperfield

If you build trailers maybe you could switch over to boats and barges until things dry out a bit. It appears part of Austrailia is a little wetter than normal.

Trailer Builder

240b

All the big operators I know are too busy trying to make a go of it, to be chit chatting here. 

CX3

Theres no such thing as big jobs where I come from
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

lumberjack48

I was a [full] time logger before i got hurt,  when the State and Federal turned our timber sales in to bidding wars it ran the smaller logger out of business, i watched family's lose everything because of this.

I don't want to get started on big timber sales, i was bonded for a Mil at one time, it was dog eat dog, all Government control, i have to stop I'm starting to lose control.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Mark K

There's a few here in New York. I know of two big logging outfits with over 100 employees. They are mainly into chipping. Most are small outfits like me with just a skidder and maybe a loader. I know a couple guys running Timbco's with grapple skidders. Not to many forwarders around here. Most of my jobs are between 20K to 50k bdf. Thats big enough for me. 
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

woodmills1

well, my primary tree guy.  Usually a few trees in a yard

last 2 jobs 74 trees then 50

5 market loads from the first and three from the other

4 firewood from the first     one from second

2 junk loads from the first  none second

probably too small for this but big here for me
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

northwoods1

Oh there are a lot of big operators around the U.S. , and some up here in the Lakes States. I have seen more than one go from huge assortments of equipment running double shifts when things were booming , to flat out bust. Then start out again with just an old beat up tree farmer forwarder and work back up to running another big time operation. You need 1.) markets that will support that kind of operation & 2.) a supply of timber to support that kind of market.
I used to contract to a guy that was running 24 hrs. a day, I don't know if anybody even remembers these things, but timberjack used to make this all in one machine that cut the tree down, processed it and skidded it out. They were a huge beast of a machine and became obsolete pretty quickly. He was thinning pine with them. On one job he had wood decked as high as it could be piled and a the piles were 1/2 mile long both side of the road.
I used to know a guy that ran a crew for Earl St. John , a very large U.P. of Michigan operator. I don't even know if his company is still going. He told me they would go through 40 acres of timber... every day :o , that is what they needed to keep things running.
I knew another guy who ran a shortwood skidder for him, 2nd shift at night. He told me this funny story about how he was coming out of the woods with a load one night, and it was kind fo foggy. And he got lost back in the woods with the skidder :D . Couldn't find his way out! These were huge jobs.

Maine372

the feller forwarder! ive seen pictures of those. the ruts they left 30-40 years ago are still in there, ive seen them.

trev

I load up to 1400 tons of wood a day with one crane and we have 6 cranes. 17 western stars  with 20 or so 12 ft wide trailers and several highway trailers for on rd application.

Thank You Sponsors!