iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question

Started by Buchanan, January 17, 2011, 03:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buchanan

Ok, so Im new to the forum. But this is a Newb question, I was wondering, are 6x6 beam that I can get from the lumber yard, are these ok to use as a "practice" piece? Im not new to working with tools, however, I am new to this type of constrution methods. I have read and reread the the Timber Frame Construction by Jack Sobon, I feel that Im ready to start working making joints, but want to work the layout and marking and cutting on a sample piece first. So, that is my question. Any helpful input please.

Jim_Rogers

Sure, but the 6x6 from a lumber yard maybe only 5 1/2" x 5 1/2"......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

ljmathias

Welcome and have fun at it- lots of work to get something made using timber framing.  Why not start with a sawhorse?  About as simple as you can get for something other than just two pieces of wood joined together and a set of heavy duty sawhorses is a great tool for actually doing larger pieces of structures... plus, the world won't come to an end if (when) you screw up a joint or a measurement and have to "modify" it some.   :D :D

Oh, and you really don't need plans for something simple like that- I bought a set for a sawhorse way back when I started doing some TF work- waste of money although if your hesitant about getting started on something like this, the plans show you step by step (or at least what each piece should like look and how to compensate for wood's inherent properties... :)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

jamesamd

Do not buy pressure treated lumber, nasty stuff.
If You only want to try Your hand at creating joints, buy a couple of eight footers and cut them
into 2' pieces. A Rockwell Jawhorse is a perfect tool for holding the shorts.

When I decided to build My little shed 10X12, I cut all the joints for 1 corner of the building and
after used that little model as a reference, while cutting the real beams. It can get a little confusing when You are working upside-down inside-out and flipping the beam every 20 Min.
but if You mark the outside face and the adjacent face correctly it is easier to keep track of what Your doing. Don't mean You will not make a mistake, Ya just need to keep checking Your layout before, You cut.

Best of luck and Welcome to the forum.

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Mad Professor

Why not make something useful?

I made a woodrack out of 4 X 4 white ash stock that I milled, and did layout with dividers/chaukline/plumb bob.

Everything came together great, using human power and traditional tools.

If you want to go with bigger stock a local sawmill is a better bet than a lumber yard.  Go with some soft stuff like white pine as it will be easier to work.  Wood/toolshed ?

Buchanan

Ok, so I should have said that the lumber yard is a sawmill  lumber yard. I've looked at different "ponies". That would be a great start and a useful piece to have. I have a basic set of tools, 2 in, 1 1/2 in, 1 in. framing chisels, and 3 1/2 slick, and a Fox mallet. My saws are reburbed disston rip, large back saw, and crosscut saw. These I found at swap meets, or flea market finds. They were sent out to be set and sharpened. I also have a nice set of hand planes. Several years ago, I went through a phase of using hand tools, so I learned a lot. I taught myself, though reading and trial and error, how to maintain and use my tools. The sawmill where I get some of my wood, they cut mostly pine and hardwoods. That is where Im getting my beams so they will be 6x6, or should they be 8x8? This is some what new to me, I just want to get started on the right foot.

Dave Shepard

The beam size depends on what you are building. I made my horses from 6x6 white pine. A shed frame you will probably want something larger, 7x7 or 8x8, which is what the frame in Jack's book uses. A Dutch style house frame, similar to what is in my avatar uses 6x6, but more of them than an English style like the three bent frame in the book. It sounds like you have some of the right tools to get started. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bushhog920

i'm in the montgomery area and have a sawmill, don't know how far you are but need anything just let me know.

jander3

To get familar with timber framing, I've made quite a few tables and stools for practice.  Last winter, I made a work bench from materials I purchased at Mendards.

(http://peelinglogs.blogspot.com/2010/03/timber-framed-work-bench.html).  

These projects have helped me get better at joinery.    

Brad_bb

As has been said, build something useful, don't waste the work.  Green sawn wood is definitely nicer to work than dry, but don't be afraid of either one if using softwood.  If you do sawhorses, use softwood to keep them from being too heavy.  If you need plans, ask and there is one member reading this thread who will oblige. Size of wood is based on the project. 
   Do you know how to make a square cut with a cross cut saw?  I ask because most people actually don't know the technique to getting a truly square cut.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ljmathias

Ok, Brad: I'll bite- how does one get a perfect square cut with a cross cut saw?  In my case, I'd use the big Makita circular saw that cuts up to 8" thick- comes out dang close to square... but I don't think that's what you're describing.  Oh, it must be using the laser guided hand saw discussed in a different thread- them lasers, sneaking into all kinds of tools!  :)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Dave Shepard

It's easy, saw only the lines you can see.  :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brad_bb

That's definitely part of it Dave.  I know I described this once before, but I know I wouldn't be able to find it.  I'll start a new thread and describe it.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Buchanan

Thanks for all the input. I cannot find any plans for the ponies. I went and picked up 2 8x8x10 pine beams, I'll read up and look for more pics, from there, I can draw up some plans. Any idea as to how tall I should make them? I figure that they should be as tall as standing with my hands flat (about alittle less than mid thigh) by my sides. I have read alot here on the fourm, and I just stunded. So much more to learn.  But thanks so much for the info. 

Dave Shepard

The horses I use now are 33" tall. That's good for layout, but a bit tall for chopping mortises on taller timbers. I also keep a couple of 11"x14"x48" scraps for hewing repairs or when I need to work lower. I like to chop the mortises while straddling the timber. My horses are just framed out of 2x hemlock and plywood. They were originally built just to hold the timbers up for documenting when our architect comes down to the shop. I do have a set of timber ponies I'm working on, I think they will be 26" when they are finished. I'll dig up some photos.

Dave Shepard

This is one of the ponies, just needs boring and pegging. They are 6"x6" EWP. You could also build a trestle with those 8x8s, but it wouldn't be easily moveable unless you knocked it down. I'd like to build one at some point to do my work on as they don't move around as much when chopping and paring.

These are the hemlock horses. They are 31" in this photo, but I added a 2x8 on the top to support the 1,200 pound anchorbeams. Didn't know if that particular design would hold up to that. :D

Thank You Sponsors!