iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pros--cons (353 husky)

Started by keppoch, January 17, 2011, 08:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keppoch

just bought a husky 353 ,works very well. anybody have a comment on this saw I should know about.

weimedog

I have a pre-cursor to the 353, a 351. Couple of things that come to mind. They are a pro level built saw with metal where metal needs to be. Mine is light and has plenty of power for 15inch and down work. It carries a 16inch B&C. I like the saw. I have never heard a bad thing about them.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

SawTroll

The only "problem" with that model is the existence of the 346xp!   :)

If it has a cat muffler, you should fix that - as on any other saw that comes with a cat one.

Also, if it is a used one, post the serial number - there is an update that may be relevant to perform.

Information collector.

John Mc

I own a Jonsered 2152, the twin sister of the 353. I run it with a 16" bar, and am happy with it. I've also run a friend's 353 w/20" bar. IMO, 20" is a bit much on this saw, at least in hardwood.

I found the saw ran well for a day of felling. However, if I were bucking wood with it, with cut after cut for an extended period I had problems with it overheating a bit and wanting to die out on me. Letting it cool off a bit usually got me going again. Since I replaced the catalytic muffler with a non-cat one, it runs much cooler, and seems to have a bit more power... no more problems with it overheating.

As Saw Troll mentioned, if I were buying new today in that size range, I'd be looking seriously at a 346XP, but the 353 is still a good saw in that size range.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

zzrcanuck

Awesome little saw ,wish I still had mine.
It had no mechanical issues in the 3-4 years I used it.

SawTroll

Quote from: zzrcanuck on January 17, 2011, 10:06:21 PM

It isn't anywhere near "awesome" - but still a very good 50cc saw.  :)
Information collector.

ENTS

I used mine almost every day for over 5 yrs. as a limbing saw (not in the tree but once it was down (I don't top'em, I just drop'em)).  Got rid of the cat right off, helped a lot.  18" bar no problems.  Mine has a tendency to not hold idle sometimes.  Mine needs a diaper at night since bar oil leak is a problem.  If the 346xp had been out when I bought the 353, that would have been the saw I bought.  Can't afford both tho.  Not sorry with the saw, has worked a lot over the years.

Good luck and happy cutten with yours.

Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

Ron Scott

I've used a 351 pretty hard for some time. No problems with it yet other than replacing the starter cord.
~Ron

John Mc

Quote from: ENTS on January 18, 2011, 04:19:58 PM
...Mine [Husky 353] needs a diaper at night since bar oil leak is a problem.

My Jonsered 2152 has the same problem... annoying, since I sometimes need to store it in my van. It's done this since it was new.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

zzrcanuck

Quote from: SawTroll on January 18, 2011, 01:11:10 AM
Quote from: zzrcanuck on January 17, 2011, 10:06:21 PM

It isn't anywhere near "awesome" - but still a very good 50cc saw.  :)
Sorry, I meant "very good little saw"
   ::)  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!