iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do I need this skidder?

Started by LKasdorf, December 03, 2003, 08:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKasdorf

I spotted this at a local place where there are usually a few machines for sale. It looks to be an ancient log skidder.

http://www.lkasdorf.com/img/content/logskidder.JPG

Sorry for the poor photo, but I took it with my little phone/camera and couldn't get very close.

This seems like just the thing for transporting a big log, if I were to come up with some tongs. It probably has a pintle type hitch. Is the idea that you could transport a log on the road with a rig like this, or just strictly offroad? Do you just lift one end of the log and let the other end drag?

It has the old spoke wheels. I wonder if the wheels are the split rim type that can kill you when you take them apart? Maybe it woudl be worthwhile, if cheap, and install modenr wheels on it. Or maybe the existing tires/wheel are usable for the next 20 years...

SawBilly

I'd say strickly off road. I thought about building one out of scrap metal from the local scrap yard. I spent $8.00 and got enough parts to weld a thumb on my little kabota, picks up logs right nicely now.

dail_h

Looks like an old crawler arch to ne definately offroad,good behind a tractor with    a winch if it has enough power
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Ron Wenrich

I think that is known as a sulky.  A sulky would support a log in the middle where an arch is used to pick a log up on the end.  

A sulky could be used to transport a large log.  I guess you could also use it as an arch for skidding in the woods.  Just make sure you have good brakes.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!