iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372xpg or 576xp

Started by DonT, January 15, 2011, 08:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonT

Went out to the shed to get a hammer,took a minute but I finally figured out what was wrong.Four of my saws where not there.After a little rant :-[ i call the cops and look around for other stuff missing.All in all I lost a 372xpg,357xp,stihl 034,and a stihl170,funny thing is there was two 220Ts there to and they did not take them.Anyway i have to replace my beloved 372xpg and I am not sure I want the 576.What are the differances,I think i can still get a 372xp from my dealer.Any suggestions for a 70cc sawJonsereds are out because there is no dealer with in miles of me.

chucker

sorry to hear your loss!! them damned thieves are everywhere!! to answer your question, i bleed red so the jonsered 2171 is the perfect saw in the 70 cc class.... match this saw with a good 24" bar an chisle chain and you have a winner!! oh yes! "LOCK AN LOAD" FRIEND !!!!!!!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Saw Dr.

If you're going to get the 576, I'd look at the autotune version.  Have not run one myself, but they are getting very good reviews.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

CX3

Sorry to hear Don.  That stinks.  I have tried lots of saws and we pack five 460 stihls to work every morning now.  Love it.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

DonT

My local  Husky dealer treats me very well, so I am leaning towards Huskies,all the stihl dealers up here are rental shops and there customer service is lacking  to be polite.My wife has finally got me cooled down about it,but have already started planning new security measures.

ihookem

I'd cry if I lost my 034.

SawTroll

Quote from: Saw Dr. on January 15, 2011, 09:24:02 PM
If you're going to get the 576, I'd look at the autotune version.  Have not run one myself, but they are getting very good reviews.

Yes, but the weight penalty vs. the 372xp goes up....
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on January 17, 2011, 01:50:47 PM
If you're going to get the 576, I'd look at the autotune version.  Have not run one myself, but they are getting very good reviews.

I believe the 372XPG with heated handles is heavier then the 372XP. But then say if DonT gets the 576XPG AutoTune, that extra weight with the computer etc is so nice with this saw that always runs "perfect". Never need to carry a carb screwdriver or tachometer ever again.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

DonT

Well I went shopping today.1- 372xpg,2-357xp's,and one little 353 as a chipper saw.It was an expensive trip.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 18, 2011, 10:44:22 AM
Quote from: SawTroll on January 17, 2011, 01:50:47 PM
If you're going to get the 576, I'd look at the autotune version.  Have not run one myself, but they are getting very good reviews.

I believe the 372XPG with heated handles is heavier then the 372XP. .... 

Surely it is, but that goes with the 576xpg as well!   ;)
Information collector.

HELSEL

Hey my first post here. The 372 is a great saw it is ready to go to work anytime you are!! The 576 is also a good saw BUT they are not to good in the cold weather. They are very cold blooded. I own them both and I would go with the 372 with out a dought.

HolmenTree

Quote from: HELSEL on January 19, 2011, 02:58:58 PM
Hey my first post here. The 372 is a great saw it is ready to go to work anytime you are!! The 576 is also a good saw BUT they are not to good in the cold weather. They are very cold blooded. I own them both and I would go with the 372 with out a dought.

My 576's run real good in -30C or colder weather. Did you install the two blue winter kit pieces and open the window in the top cover?

Willard.

HELSEL

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 19, 2011, 03:59:46 PM

My 576's run real good in -30C or colder weather. Did you install the two blue winter kit pieces and open the window in the top cover?

Willard.

I don't think we have done anything with them but cut timber. The 372 runs the same in the winter as it does the summer.

Al_Smith

Rick what was  that saw you had that had put down over a million board feet with ?

Cut4fun

If my memory is right Al, it was a Dolmar 7900.

Al_Smith

I only saw it once but for a stock saw it was indeed a runner .

HolmenTree

Quote from: HELSEL on January 19, 2011, 05:27:02 PM

Willard.

I don't think we have done anything with them but cut timber. The 372 runs the same in the winter as it does the summer.
Helsel, what do you call winter temperatures?
I have a winter kit on my 372 also. One piece covers the lower half of the rewind housing to cut down on cold air and stop snow from getting sucked in when the saw is put down on the ground while idling. The other winter kit piece replaces the air injection shroud scoop,it blocks the air injection current and redirects the cylinder heat to the air filter housing.
Now if you don't want to bother with the factory winter kit , a heated carb is available on the 372 and 576s.
But again what are your winter temps?

Willard.

DonT

I decided on the 372xpg because I liked my other one and i am a creature of habit.I also use the winter kit for deep snow.I love my heated handles.I think i would like to give it a little more time before i buy the 576,if it turns out to be as good a saw as the 372 then i would definately buy one down the road.I already miss my o34.

HELSEL

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 19, 2011, 09:04:50 PM
Quote from: HELSEL on January 19, 2011, 05:27:02 PM

Willard.

Helsel, what do you call winter temperatures?
I have a winter kit on my 372 also. One piece covers the lower half of the rewind housing to cut down on cold air and stop snow from getting sucked in when the saw is put down on the ground while idling. The other winter kit piece replaces the air injection shroud scoop,it blocks the air injection current and redirects the cylinder heat to the air filter housing.
Now if you don't want to bother with the factory winter kit , a heated carb is available on the 372 and 576s.
But again what are your winter temps?

Willard.

We get some cold weather here it gets below zero alot. Here is my zip 49663.

HolmenTree

We get some cold weather here it gets below zero alot. Here is my zip 49663.
[/quote]

Helsel, it looks like your getting 16F/-9C in Manton at the moment. I sure wish we had that here,at the moment here its -26F/-32C with a windchill of -48F/-44C.
Going out this morning to remove 3 medium spruce and 2 large poplars. Will have to leave the chipper and stumpgrinder idle to the job.

Willard.

HELSEL

When it gets to cold we don't even go to work.

SawTroll

I have never used the blue winter kits on my Huskys even though the saws came with them, but then I never cut in colder than -15 C, and seldom enough below -5 C.
Information collector.

ChrisF

I've cut in temps close to -25c without putting that kit on my 2171. Had no issues whatsoever. The dealer I got my saw from said his other customers who cut professionally don't bother with them at all, and they cut in temps closer to -35c, and at that point they normally pack it in due to the bar-oil getting too thick/cold.
Jred 2171WH
Husky 242XP

HELSEL

I agree when it gets good and cold the bar oil comes out of the jug about like tar.

Al_Smith

Well I froze my tail end for over twenty years when I worked construction .I don't have to play Eskimo any more so I don't .Fact is the Florida Keys are starting to look good this time of year . ;D

HolmenTree

Quote from: ChrisF on January 20, 2011, 05:38:06 PM
I've cut in temps close to -25c without putting that kit on my 2171. Had no issues whatsoever. The dealer I got my saw from said his other customers who cut professionally don't bother with them at all, and they cut in temps closer to -35c, and at that point they normally pack it in due to the bar-oil getting too thick/cold.
You learn by instinct to keep your back to the wind when its -35C or colder. For a couple of hrs today it warmed up to -29C but in the wind it was over -40. The Husky/Jonsered winter kits should be used in these temps and air injection does not seperate fine snow from the air. Snow is alot lighter then dust or dirt and goes straight to the airfilter. Lean seizures have been caused by snow ingestion and icing up the carbs venturi. Like your car or truck you cover up half of the radiator to keep the engine running at proper temperature. Your saw is the same , runs much better and less cool down time when temporary shutoff.
Bar oil in Canada is available in 3 weight grades: summer[heavy], fall [medium] and winter [light].
Any logger or arborist who says he doesn't work in the cold will starve to death or go on welfare in our work enviroment.

Willard :D

HELSEL

Wow sory about the weather up there. It is by no means that cold here,but it gets mighty cold. There is a lot of places I would rather be. Might take some video of our operation and post it on here.

beenthere

Helsel
We don't know where "here" is for you. Care to fill out your bio? pls
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cut4fun

Willard, you had me curious on this snow shield  stuff you mentioned.

I found a pic of a set for a 372 and  cant say I have every seen them on any of the firewood cutters saws in my area.
But do see why you use them, thats just  to  smiley_lipsrsealed smiley_lipsrsealed cold to be out cutting, but you got to do what you got to do to put food on the table.

HolmenTree

Quote from: HELSEL on January 21, 2011, 02:00:46 PM

Wow sory about the weather up there. It is by no means that cold here,but it gets mighty cold. There is a lot of places I would rather be. Might take some video of our operation and post it on here.
No need to feel sorry for us with our cool winters. We kind of like it that way. :D
My dad and grampa have farmed in Saskatchewan for over a hundred years, it can get +110F in summer and a few months later it can be -50 below.
Good growing conditions here, longest days of summer have over 21 hrs of sunlight and shortest days of winter are still 8hrs of sun. 90 bushels per acre of canola is common.
My brothers and I had to go to Manitoba next door for the good union logging jobs starting back in the early 1970s. Cut and skid piecework with line skidders and powersaw paid us well here. Winterize a Clarke 666 skidder and alot of treelength wood can be skidded when its -35F below. A little backblading while bunching and there is no limbs to worry about. Winters are dry and cold here with little snow.
We only log spruce/pine. Best scale I had was with my old partner Frans and his 240 Timberjack and me with my Stihl 064-18" was in 40 hrs we cut and piled 305 cords of treelength topped at 3 1/2". Another partner I cut for had a Clarke 667 grapple and we did a little over 400 cords in 40 hrs.
We got alot of timber up here. Some summers we have  forest fires about the size of Michigan and you barely wouldn't even notice it.

Willard.

HELSEL

Wow that is a lot of wood to cut 10 cord per hour ?  Well good luck and stay warm.

DonT

-26 here tommorow,going out in the morning to ploay opps i mean work for awhile and try out the new toys.My dealer could not locate a 372xpg locally but the 390xpg he had on the shelf seemed to be calling my name.It was also $50 bucks cheaper.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Cut4fun on January 21, 2011, 03:32:25 PM
Willard, you had me curious on this snow shield  stuff you mentioned.

I found a pic of a set for a 372 and  cant say I have every seen them on any of the firewood cutters saws in my area.
But do see why you use them, thats just  to  smiley_lipsrsealed smiley_lipsrsealed cold to be out cutting, but you got to do what you got to do to put food on the table.

Yep you gotta do what you gotta do. I like the 372 winter kits, the rewind housing cover cuts down on the snow and cold air and that other long piece with the one hole in it replaces the air injection  scoop near the flywheel. It blocks the air injection flow to the intake port in the air filter housing and further up against the cylinder it re-routes the cylinder heat back down to the air intake port keeping the carb warm. The other little square piece is a "nut" to screw the rewind cover to behind the rewind housing grille.
The 576s have almost the same kit but you have to open a window in the top cover to bring heat back to the carb. A thin steel shim is placed over the air intake port underneath the air injection scoop.

Willard.

HolmenTree

Quote from: HELSEL on January 21, 2011, 10:53:13 PM
Wow that is a lot of wood to cut 10 cord per hour ?  Well good luck and stay warm.
Those were the good old days. I haven't cut and skid for almost 20 yrs I was replaced by a 24 hr a day processor. I got out of it at the right time when I was still young and healthy.
I now run my own tree removal service, just one tree at a time around houses and cottages.

Willard.

weimedog

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 21, 2011, 11:05:38 PM
Quote from: HELSEL on January 21, 2011, 10:53:13 PM
Those were the good old days. I haven't cut and skid for almost 20 yrs I was replaced by a 24 hr a day processor. I got out of it at the right time when I was still young and healthy.
I now run my own tree removal service, just one tree at a time around houses and cottages.

Willard.

And you pick the jobs (there for trees)..and do it on your own time schedule.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

Quote from: weimedog on January 22, 2011, 08:53:28 AM
you pick the jobs (there for trees)..and do it on your own time schedule.
With only a saw to look after the logging days were carefree though.
Those days bring back memories of the Husqvarna 162  when it first came out around 1976, at the time you either ran a Jonsered or Husky. The Jonsered 621 and 80 had inboard clutchs, tough as an anvil. The 162 Huskies were agile and quick with their good ergonomics.

Willard

Jeff

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 21, 2011, 10:41:00 PM
Another partner I cut for had a Clarke 667 grapple and we did a little over 400 cords in 40 hrs.
We got alot of timber up here. Some summers we have  forest fires about the size of Michigan and you barely wouldn't even notice it.

Willard.

How do you manage to produce that much wood in 40 hours? I can't imagine how it would be done. When I worked in the woods. we ran two skidders, a slasher with a big barko on it, along with a chipper that handles the tops. Trees were felled by a feller buncher and two fellers with chainsaws.  We were cutting aspen that would run sometimes up to 70 feet that came down so hard they would top themselves. There was 6 guys in the crew, 4 in the machines and the two fellers, and when we were running balls to the walls 300 cord in a week was considered doing very good.  The automated crews around here now with a processor and forwarder strive for 500 cord a week.

I think Michigan may be a bit bigger than you think....
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

weimedog

And now this puts me in my place! I'm lucky to split and put up 20 cords on the year!
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

DonT

Jeff just out of curiosity how long would it take to drive from one end of Michigan to the other.It would take about 26hrs of highway driving to go from east to west here in Ontario.I always figured it was 24hrs drive time from my place to the Manitoba border.

Cut4fun

Here's a map for comparison sake. 

Jeff

I just find it hard to accept you could have a 36 million acre fire and it not be noticed. The world would notice if you didn't. 

Driving from the southeast corner to the north west corner of Michigan would take around 12 hours or so.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Jeff on January 22, 2011, 10:35:07 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on January 21, 2011, 10:41:00 PM
Another partner I cut for had a Clarke 667 grapple and we did a little over 400 cords in 40 hrs.
We got alot of timber up here. Some summers we have  forest fires about the size of Michigan and you barely wouldn't even notice it.

Willard.

How do you manage to produce that much wood in 40 hours? I can't imagine how it would be done. When I worked in the woods. we ran two skidders, a slasher with a big barko on it, along with a chipper that handles the tops. Trees were felled by a feller buncher and two fellers with chainsaws.  We were cutting aspen that would run sometimes up to 70 feet that came down so hard they would top themselves. There was 6 guys in the crew, 4 in the machines and the two fellers, and when we were running balls to the walls 300 cord in a week was considered doing very good.  The automated crews around here now with a processor and forwarder strive for 500 cord a week.

I think Michigan may be a bit bigger than you think....
Jeff I see your handicap right there....wasting time running tops through a chipper and skidding/piling "heavy aspen".
I'm talking about felling, topping and skidding treelength spruce, tops and limbs left where the trees fall. minus-25-30F out enabling no powersaw limbing and easy skid under 500 ft on flat hard pack snow.
I ran a Stihl 064 [85cc] 18"-20" b/c more then enough power to drop 20" dbh spruce, topping at 60- 75ft. My partner owned the Clarke 667 grapple with about 20 yrs experience under his belt skidding with line and grapple.
We were pieceworkers and yes greed plays the big part :D
We had a good honest scale compared to some out of province companies we cut for when we were on extended shutdowns. I swear these times we got robbed the scaler was scaling with firewood conversion.

Willarde.

Jeff

There is no waste of time chipping tops. The chipper reached across the skid lane to grab the top while the slasher was bucking the next skid. Zero time lost and irrelevant. There is no waste of time cutting  16" to 20" aspen. It skids as fast as spruce and probably as tall. All stem.  No wasted time topping and limbing. You run out, get a skid bring em back. Skidder's usually waiting on the slasher/loader so skid length is also irrelevant.  Our cords are 128 cubic feet

You must have been trucking tree length then and not processing to length.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Jeff on January 22, 2011, 03:39:26 PM
There is no waste of time chipping tops. The chipper reached across the skid lane to grab the top while the slasher was bucking the next skid. Zero time lost and irrelevant. There is no waste of time cutting  16" to 20" aspen. It skids as fast as spruce and probably as tall. All stem.  No wasted time topping and limbing. You run out, get a skid bring em back. Skidder's usually waiting on the slasher/loader so skid length is also irrelevant.  Our cords are 128 cubic feet

You must have been trucking tree length then and not processing to length.
Manitoba forestry regs says tops left where tree felled for natural regeneration. Skidders skid and pile treelength at roadside landing about 4-5 ft high. When crews move on company portable Tanguay slashers come along and work 24 hrs 7 days a week cutting treelength into 16 and 8 ft. at the landings. No one is waiting for anyone.
Just backblading frozen spruce limbs is far more easier then delimbing heavy aspen limbs and crotches.

Willard.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Jeff on January 22, 2011, 03:06:10 PM
I just find it hard to accept you could have a 36 million acre fire and it not be noticed. The world would notice if you didn't.  

Driving from the southeast corner to the north west corner of Michigan would take around 12 hours or so.
Manitoba fires in 1989 resulted in 6.7 million acres of woodland lost and thats not including the millions lost from the same fires into our neighbors- Saskatchewan and Ontario.
In the same year Quebec lost  5.2 million acres and that was barely noticed in a woodland area of 195 million acres[ thats only north of the 51 st parallel].
I believe in Manitoba in 2010 we had over 500 fires and just one fire was 55,000 hectare [135,908 acres].

Willard

Jeff

That's a far cry from an area the size of Michigan. :)  Canadians must be a lot like Texans. :D

400 cord a week is 80 cord a day. That would be 4 log trailers stacked 8 foot high, 8 foot wide and 40 foot long a day all week long.  10 cord an hour, 1 cord every 6 minutes.

Reddog

Quote from: Jeff on January 22, 2011, 04:33:42 PM
That's a far cry from an area the size of Michigan. :)  Canadians must be a lot like Texans. :D

Manitoba is like 250,000 square miles and Michigan is around 97,000 square miles so ya a lot like texans  :D

DonT

Hey Jeff that is one of the best one liners i have heard all day.Thanks for the laugh.Now is being compared to a Texan good or bad? I have to admit my understanding of the size of states and there geography is lacking,thats why i always enjoy the pics on the forum.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Jeff on January 22, 2011, 04:33:42 PM
That's a far cry from an area the size of Michigan. :)  Canadians must be a lot like Texans. :D

400 cord a week is 80 cord a day. That would be 4 log trailers stacked 8 foot high, 8 foot wide and 40 foot long a day all week long.  10 cord an hour, 1 cord every 6 minutes.
Good one Jeff :D You know how the media reports the facts eh? I was referring to reports I seem to hear every summer on the Canadian national news" fires in central Canada are burning out of control with total size equal to the size of  New Brunswick" [New Brunswick looks like about the size of Michigan].
Yes we have alot of timber up here and about 90% of our lumber goes into the US.

That 400 cord a week was my own personal record when I was 31yrs old.
But your welcome to come up here to northern Manitoba, myself and a few ole boys will gladly show you the fine art of "cut and skid piecework". ;)

Willard.

Jeff

I can kinda grasp that number being tree length, but sure seems you had to be running from tree to tree. ;)  Even a generous estimate of a cord a tree, that's a tree every 6 minutes.  31 years old we were still bullet proof. :D

Thank You Sponsors!