iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

brake fluid vs hydrolic hose

Started by treetech, January 15, 2011, 08:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treetech

I am rebuilding an old  Gearmatic 8A winch and I have to replace the flexable hose on the inside clutch mechanism. The old hose looked like a brake line hose. I got a hydrolic hose made up to use but now I am wondering if the brake fluid will brake it down. Does anyone have any experiece with this? I would hate to have leaking brake fluid ruin my clutches and brake bands after I get them rebuilt.

madmari

I just replaced a brake line made from hydraulic hose. Had been on the skidder since Christ was a corporal. Outside was shot, inside was like new. Held up better than steel line.
  The flexibility is a great worry-ender.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

treetech

Thanks madmari! Thats just what I wanted to hear.

lumberjack48

From the master cylinder back , i put hyd hose, like madmari said worries over.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

treetech

That's not a bad idea. I may replace all the steel lines with hyd hose. The old ones are getting pretty ratty.

Ed_K

Same thing here, I even have hydro hose on the brake line going to the brake caliper,been there for 8 yrs.no probs yet.
Ed K

bill m

The only problem you could have with using hyd. hose in place of steel lines is a soft pedal. A steel braided hyd. hose can expand a very small amount so with long lines your pedal can feel soft.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ed_K

Just added a homemade park brake onto this system.You push real hard on peddle and close a ball valve to lock the caliper.I'm hoping the expantion will add a little extra pressure.
Ed K

captain_crunch

Ed
I know this is the same Idea as a micro lock from years back But don't know how much I would trust it as parking break. Any loss of pressure and the Wreck of the Ole 97 comes to mind at least the going down the hill makeing 90 miles per part ::) ::)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Ed_K

It was delievered to the job site Monday,I didn't have much time,just moved it behind the cordwood pile(kinda hide it)so I pushed on the peddle and lock the ballvalve.It would of staled the new4-53, well 3.5 hrs on rebuild.I don't think I'll ever trust it,but I once backed up to a 20"beech and it uprooted and upset me.So i'll probably use both.Seems the only jobs I land are side hills like oregon-washington.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!