iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TK B20 favorite modifications and fixes

Started by cnelson1, January 14, 2011, 09:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cnelson1

I am interested in hearing from Timberking B20 sawmill owners that have made modifications and fixes to solve problems or otherwise make their mill work better.  An example of one modification that I made to my mill is I bought a remote idle switch from Kolher so that I could easily idle my motor down at any break in the milling action.  I have a neighbor with a B2O (who I got the idea from for the idle switch) who has also installed a centrifugal clutch on his mill.  As he idles the motor down with the remote idle switch, his centrifugal disengages and the blade stops turning.  I hope to make this change also, at some point.  I would imagine that there are dozens of modifications that have been made like this and I think that it would great to hear about them. Has anyone moved the controls and installed a board return? 

Thanks, Chris in CA
Chris in CA

redbeard

Nice post!    Some things that are in the works are  eliminating cord reel and installing Wireless remote control that will raise and lower the saw head, I will have extra channels to do throttle also. The cord reel has been working great I'am just tired of having to keep my eye on it for hanging up on something and keeping it clean Its  high maintenance.   My main project for 2011 is pour my concrete  pad for mill and put on 10' ext. I will be adding permanant supports and will remove jacks and trailer pkg. and I would like to install  electric motor with hydraulic pump to replace 6hp gas unit, Also would like to add a diesel motor someday. Now that you have me going I also want to add a chainsaw slabber that will run from other end of mill it will have to be a wider head rig that will roll down the tracks manually. My B-20 will be a B-30 When i accomplish all of this. :)
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

ladylake

I've got mine  up to a B25 by now with a good cord reel, a diesel and I got the screw type clamp so it alway flips up, and a good chip gaurd. The only thing on my list would be a hyd clamp. One good modd for any mill is to mount some 1-1/2" ID square tubing so you put some 1-1/2" square oak stick upright in place of the log stops, this works good for small log that you have trouble clamping and you dont have to worry about sawing through them.  Red  Putting a electic motor on when stationary should be easy with the right coupler, I'd think a 3hp should be plenty. Then there's the choise between 1725 ot 3450 RPM.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sgschwend

That cord replacement might make a nice mill kit.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

redbeard

One change i made right away was I put a sponge on both sides of tube, The acme screw is open to the elements and tube fills up with dust and sticks to the lubed screw that passes through the tube. The two acme screws are kept lubed with lithium grease on a regular bases.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

rph816

Redbeard, we've been considering a slabber on our B-20 as well.  I have a 26 HP vertical shaft motor sitting in the wings waiting for a big bar.  I'd like to hear what ideas you might have on capacity, mounting, bar lubrication and overall design.  Our goal would be to break down larger logs (we have some up to 45" diameter right now) and irregular logs, plus it'd be nice to be able to cut some 30" slabs.  Dang that narrow throat on the b-20.

Ryan

r.man

Red if you are going stationary why not go all electric instead of diesel?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

cnelson1

Red, we duct taped these openings, but the sponge makes more sense.  I'm thinking about building a continous drip system to lube these acme threads.  I have a12 volt selenoid valve that I would wire into my remote idel switch so that each time I idle the motor up, the drip would start.  Any thoughts?  Chris
Chris in CA

redbeard

(RPH)  It would be nice to utilize the tracks,bedrails and hydraulic functions for a seperate head rig slabber, I would like to be able to achieve at least 60" wide cuts for unique slabs like capturing crotches and natural arches and such.I suppose off the trucks it would be shaped kinda of like a octagon it would have to be really strong and it would be a manual push mill. Having a crane on the boom truck I have the loading and unloading part handled. Also my buddy Sgeschwend with the Brand X swing mill with a nice 72" slabber is only 15 min. away and we horse trade alot :D He uses a light oil water mix i think! (r.man) I had a chance back in late 80s to run 3 phase close to where mill is but it was to exspensive then and is really exspensive now! I have 220 at the mill but best i can get out of it is 30 amps plenty for lights and power tools. I would think 3 phase would be the only way to go for the saw mill ( Dose any one run 220 for a power plant on a band mill?) (cnelson) I  use the white grease (lithium type) on the screws i wouldn't use oil or silicone spray dirt sticks to it and you might get more wear on them. I try to clean them and grease them before i hear the give me grease sound. 

Thank You Sponsors!