iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Brushes

Started by Magicman, January 14, 2011, 02:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

When I go to all jobs I bring my aircompresser in the back of the truck and cleen the mill at the end of the day. That 100 psi cleens! Then like MM I ride and drag my hand on the way back. Your right MM more control  8) 8) But sometimes riding puts you in the gun sites of the debarker  ;D ;D                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Woodmills1 I cleen my WM edger (rollers) with a wirer brush 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

Well all ya need now is to be stationary, an air conditioned booth with a TV, a joystick to run the mill and a conveyor for the bark and sawdust. Get the customer to roll his own logs onto the chain and let the wife deliver sawdust and bark to the boiler plant. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

We ain't sissy sawyers.   ;D

I use a Stihl 055 to blow the mill off.  More air volume.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

Quote from: woodmills1 on January 14, 2011, 11:55:27 PM
so, what kinda brush takes the grunge offin the edger rollers?

I use a welding brush. It works great if I clean the rollers after each session. If things get too built up or pitchy, I spray the tough areas with WD-40 and let it sit for 10 minutes or so before applying the brush.

My edger was 7 years old when I bought it, and probably sat unused for 6 years. The feed rollers were really built up badly. I did the WD-40 trick and applied the brush. Most of the build-up flaked off. I gave a second shot to any patches that wouldn't come off easily and that did the trick.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Papa1stuff

Does anyone wash down their mill with a water hose?
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Chuck White

I DO!

When I get done for the season!

First I'll blow it down with the gas powered leaf blower, then when I get it home, I'll blow it off with high pressure air nozzle, then hit it with the water hose.

You'd have to look for a while after all that to even find a flake of sawdust!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pnyberg

Quote from: Papa1stuff on January 17, 2011, 08:14:31 AM
Does anyone wash down their mill with a water hose?
Spring, summer, and fall, yes.  Winter, not so much.  Forecasted high for today is 20° F.

--Peter
No longer milling

SwampDonkey

No, wouldn't be a good idea at all today. 9 F here, but no wind, lots of sun so it feels great.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Yes, a few times, but I don't want to spoil the old gal.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

I replaced the door seal for the big control box right after I washed my mill the first time and found water in with all the electronics. When the mill is home on the asphalt, it gets washed way more often then all my other rigs put together. Washing it out is about the only way I can clean out that space between the drive and idler wheel that is boxed in with just a slit for the saw to fit into and is a big collection area for sawdust and bark.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

woodmills1

SO   still no edger ideas?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Brucer

Quote from: woodmills1 on January 18, 2011, 08:33:38 PM
SO   still no edger ideas?

Go back 7 from your last post ;D ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

I never was able to find a replacement for my broken brush, so drastic measures were necessary.  A package of Permatex Cold Weld. (think JBWeld)  I drilled four 1/8" holes into each broken piece and filled everything with the epoxy.  I hope that it will be better than new.  I was missing my old brush.   :-\

Two part epoxy

Epoxy enhanced handle.

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

captain_crunch

Magicman
I need just amight bigger brush ::) ::) ::)

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

SwampDonkey

Looks like a nice shiny shovel there. ;)

Magicman

Shovels and brushes are your friends.

This one just celebrated it's 9th birthday.

Tom

I had one just like that but I put a long handle on it and got rid of the D handle.   It worked great for a lot of years, until I ran over it with the bushhog one day. :-\

Magicman

I have my Dad's old scoop, but I won't use it around the mill.  I know that it is between 55 and 60 years old.  I did use it to shovel sawdust for a while, but sometimes stuff needs to be retired before something bad happens.   :)

rbarshaw

Quote from: Tom on February 01, 2011, 09:02:45 AM
I had one just like that but I put a long handle on it and got rid of the D handle.   It worked great for a lot of years, until I ran over it with the bushhog one day. :-\
I've done that all to often, let the grass grow up too high and all kinds of things get lost in the bushhog, under tractor tire. >:(
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

redbeard

Dry sawdust is a little rare in my area it is usually  raining this time of year So a squeegee works pretty good. 

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

weisyboy

brush, clean what it this you speak of, mine gets a good wash everythime it rains.

i dont shovel either, that what tractors and bobcats are for.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Magicman

I guess 10 years must be the life of my favorite brushes.   :-\

I just hope that they still make these grout brushes.  This is what I use to clean my Lubemizer nozzles and sawdust chute.

SwampDonkey

I use a brush to remove wood dust from my rasps and a toothbrush sized one to clean the sawdust from the air filter in my brush saw once a day. They all come as a package in the automotive department in the hardware store.

northwoods1

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 17, 2011, 12:08:40 PM
I use a brush to remove wood dust from my rasps and a toothbrush sized one to clean the sawdust from the air filter in my brush saw once a day. They all come as a package in the automotive department in the hardware store.

I use a lot of different rasps and files in my woodworking, in fact I use those tools more than any other, the best thing I have found to clean the teeth in them is just a regular old brass brush you would commonly find in any hardware store for cleaning the grate on a charcoal grill.
The one thing you do NOT want to use is a file card made out of steel which is commonly sold for cleaning these :D

Thank You Sponsors!