iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

power of MS880 vs 090/090AV

Started by terrifictimbersllc, January 14, 2011, 12:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Has anyone used both MS880 and 090/090AV and how do you feel the power compares?  

I'm thinking about getting a new MS880 to replace my two 090AV's. Having sticker shock on the MS880 right now, but might get over that.  The 090's might go with the Sperber mill to my brother, so a good cause.   But I don't want to get an MS880 then feel that my old, free, heavy, not so trouble free 090AV's had more power.      

In case this sounds nuts, let me explain.    I got the 090's with a chainsaw mill 20 years ago in a somewhat misguided effort to get "free" lumber.  Since then, I've bought a Wood-Mizer and then a Peterson mill.  I've been using the 090AV with a 41" bar to trim flare off of big logs prior to milling and as the "equalizer" in log trimming situations where it's really handy.  I'm not running around in the woods with it.   The long bar lets me stand on the end and get the flare wherever I see it, saves time on the mill.  The MS880 is about 6 pounds lighter than the 090AV.   Can live with 41" for now but want the option of a 59" bar if the Peterson brings any such situation my way, and which would be even more handy for this purpose.  This is why I'm not considering an MS660.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Saw Dr.

I have not run an out of the box 880.  They are rumored to be dogs.  If you get one, I'd send it west for some health improvement.  Check out these vids.  Can your 090 do this?  No this is not me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3dSbThaL30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdxyOHYquoQ

You can feel free to send those unreliable 090's to Georgia for proper disposal.

I have to try.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

Al_Smith

Now why in the world did that faller think he had to cut using the top of the bar rather than the bottom unless he was allergic to sawdust  ??? If that thing would have snaged and came back on him it could have delimbed him or hit him below the belt with the handle .The later would cause a great  degree of pain ,walking bowlegged for a week and likely  go from base to alto at least for a moment . :o

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Saw Dr. on January 14, 2011, 12:49:24 PM
Check out these vids.  Can your 090 do this?  
The first video with felling, can't relate to that.  However the second one, looks like maybe a 20" softwood log, no my 090AV with sharp 27 chain probably not quite that fast, but at least half that fast. Can't be sure.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Saw Dr.

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 14, 2011, 01:13:38 PM
Now why in the world did that faller think he had to cut using the top of the bar rather than the bottom unless he was allergic to sawdust  ??? If that thing would have snaged and came back on him it could have delimbed him or hit him below the belt with the handle .The later would cause a great  degree of pain ,walking bowlegged for a week and likely  go from base to alto at least for a moment . :o

I am a gearhead, not a timber faller.  His style may not be perfect in the woods, but he can build a mean work saw.  I know nothing about felling.  I get roped into it sometimes, but it scares the crap out of me every time.  I'd rather build/restore the saws, and let someone else get killed.  Sorry, I'm sure that makes me a wuss.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

Al_Smith

My reason for that comment is the fact my little buddy Tom made the same cut using a good running 066 and cut the bottom of the wedge last just like in the vid ,that saw came back on him and darn near took off a hand .Fact is he just walked in my back door as I typed .

lumberjack48

I used the top of the bar just as much as the bottom for felling and liming. Saw Dr. saved a lot of steps by staying on the same side of the tree.
like All says it will kick you, i had my share, i learned real quick to put my leg or hip against it, but you can never be asleep at the wheel, a saw is not to be trusted at any time, it well bite.

Good video Dr., saw's run and cut good, pound for pound i would carry a 044 Mag, your a long way from being a [wuss]
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Al_Smith

At the risk of sounding like a smart alec the falling cut showed a lot of power from the big saw .However the smaller bucking cuts could easily be duplicated with a smaller well tuned (ported ) saw .Not being a sceptic mind you just calling them as I see them . ;D

Saw Dr.

Quote from: lumberjack48 on January 14, 2011, 02:59:53 PM
I used the top of the bar just as much as the bottom for felling and liming. Saw Dr. saved a lot of steps by staying on the same side of the tree.
like All says it will kick you, i had my share, i learned real quick to put my leg or hip against it, but you can never be asleep at the wheel, a saw is not to be trusted at any time, it well bite.

Good video Dr., saw's run and cut good, pound for pound i would carry a 044 Mag, your a long way from being a [wuss]

I hope I can build a saw half that good someday.  Those saws are Jasha's.  I just love that video. 

Super 250

sawguy21

Going back to the original question, the MS880 is lighter and faster than the 090 but lacks the brute torque of the big beast. Unless you need the long bars and power for milling or a lift saw ditch the dinosaur and go for speed and comfort.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sawfun

I'm new here but I felt I had to join this forum to respond to this thread.

I have both an 880 and an 090 non AV Stihl. I've  used them both on a 38" cherry stump that was 5 ft high and had been down for about a year
and a half. It was very hard and I brought 3 saws to try on it. The first was
a 066 mag with a 36" bar 3/8 skiptooth Stihl chisel chain. Then an 880 with
a 36" bar .404 skiptooth Stihl chain. and finally a 090 with a 41" bar .404
skiptooth chain. The 066 did not like this at all. It all but asked to go home
(if it could talk) it was very slow and the exhaust got quite hot. I have used
this saw a lot and it is fine in up to 30" hardwood like curly maple. But burying
the bar was to much. And yes it had sharp chain.

Next I used the 880 and it was the right tool for the job. I cut great with the bar burried. It had new chain.

finally I used the 090 and it put a smile on my face. It runs so much slower than the
880 but pulled much nicer with the bar comming through the wood by about 4".
It is about 7 to 8 lbs heavier and in cutting on the horizontal its vibes were felt but
in bucking they were not. It is a slow gentle saw that is much slower reving than
the 880 but so much nicer to use.
If you need newer technology for parts avalability or need the lower weight and less vibes the spend the money on the 880,otherwise for the few really big cuts I would recommend the 090 used ones are less money.
I think the old timers had a better combinationwith low rpm high torque. They knew
about big wood and learned a thing or two we may have forgotten. Faster may be better on smaller wood but I'll take slow and strong in the big stuff.

HolmenTree

I have owned 2 090AVs both bought brand new. I still own the 2nd one, its the latest AV design. Since new I have disabled the govenor by wrapping the air flap tension spring completely around the shaft and hooked it into the 1st notch. 090 owners will know what I'm talking about. A ungoverned 090 is no longer the same slow blubbering saw, really wakes them up. Keep an eye on the H speed screw and the saw will run flawless with no problems.
I have cut in half hundreds of 54" diameter cull paper rolls for our local papermill at WOT for up to 5 minutes with a 60"bar & .404 harvester chain , up to 40 rolls cut in a 12 hr shift burning 5 gallons of fuel. Saw today still runs perfect with lots of compression.
You can't beat the brute power with equal reliability of a Stihl 090AV.
137cc, cool running aluminum diecast muffler and the biggest outboard clutch out there.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Old story .Some time back while just fiddling around one Saturday we had a little speed contest amongst some locals .A guy shows up with an 090 he was just as proud as a peacock about .In 30" oak I just smoked that thing with both a Mac 125 and a Homey 2100 .

However later in life I can across a couple of later models of that saw ,one that was tweaked and the situation changed the other way .The moral of that story is that if in the hands of a right tuner those big old Stihls can get with it if done right .

They are as everyone knows a very desirable collectors item albeit a pricey one .

Ada Shaker

My back aches just thinking about it......
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 14, 2011, 12:19:37 PM
Has anyone used both MS880 and 090/090AV and how do you feel the power compares?  

I'm thinking about getting a new MS880 to replace my two 090AV's. Having sticker shock on the MS880 right now, but might get over that.  The 090's might go with the Sperber mill to my brother, so a good cause.   But I don't want to get an MS880 then feel that my old, free, heavy, not so trouble free 090AV's had more power.      

In case this sounds nuts, let me explain.    I got the 090's with a chainsaw mill 20 years ago in a somewhat misguided effort to get "free" lumber.  Since then, I've bought a Wood-Mizer and then a Peterson mill.  I've been using the 090AV with a 41" bar to trim flare off of big logs prior to milling and as the "equalizer" in log trimming situations where it's really handy.  I'm not running around in the woods with it.   The long bar lets me stand on the end and get the flare wherever I see it, saves time on the mill.  The MS880 is about 6 pounds lighter than the 090AV.   Can live with 41" for now but want the option of a 59" bar if the Peterson brings any such situation my way, and which would be even more handy for this purpose.  This is why I'm not considering an MS660.  
Did you ever get the 880? And if you did what was your thoughts vs 090

Walnut Beast

Anyone out there run them side by side same bar and chain ?

Thank You Sponsors!