iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RIPSAW

Started by Walnut Beast, January 10, 2022, 05:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

40% more power to your chainsaw ? Has anybody sent their chainsaw in and had it done ?

livemusic

I have never heard of ripsaw.com but it appears that it is a 'woods porting' operation. Thoughts...

1. A 40% gain, I am skeptical. If they achieve that, I would be surprised. I do not know how much porting improves a saw but my take is that you could expect 20-30%. Which is awesome. I own two ported saws, a Stihl ms362 and a Husky 346. Both are bad to the bone. They are also LOUD. So, if you use a saw in a residential area where people don't like saws, don't use a ported saw, lol.

2. The price of $499 is a bit high. Maybe you have to add shipping to that? I know of reputable port guys who do it for, I think, $350. Plus you would have to ship, so, say, $400.
~~~
Bill

mike_belben

shop around.  theres tons of reputable saw porters across the nation that have been at it since way before 2015.. what ripsaw surely has is an exceptional website and marketing strategy.  without seeing images of a jug or reading tech posts on port degrees and squish clearances, it is not possible to know if they are as good as their image.  

i suspect youll get some PMs as a few guys here are big on hotsaw stuff.  there is always nut swingerism in racey stuff.. always.. but the individuals name should be unique enough to search and see the good and any bad that surfaces.  for instance, and this is no form of endorsement, just a name i recall as a guy who i read alot when i was learning 2 stroke porting.. its harder for brad snelling to change his name and hide than it is for ripsaw.  ripsaw might be great, but who is ripsaw?  how many people is that, whats their names, their faces, where do they live, whats their workbench look like?  

professional builders usually want credit for their work and do not prefer a catchy name.  i have had many mentors and they were all plenty public as individuals.. know literally by their names.. larry, don, brad. so that wall of "ripsaw" part gives me an eery feeling as i have seen soooo many fly by night hacks with grinders in the go fast industry.  i got most of my business when i was in it from repairing someone elses expensive go fast work gone wrong.

just keep researching.  there are several other chainsaw sites that are more inclined to have the dirt and the drama about ripsaw, if there is any.  i am completely unbiased here, never heard of them.  just giving an insider perspective on the racing game which is all sorts of smoke and mirrors and cash flows.  you might find ripsaw lives up to the hype or lives off the hype and leaves a trail of fury behind.  

40% is very unlikely in anything but a poulan wildthing and thats if you weld the dome and build a pipe and put a huge carb on. 
Praise The Lord

Woodfarmer

$1100 on top of the cost of a 500i, it better be able to skid logs too

so il logger

That's crazy money for a port job! Lots of reputable guys out there that know what they are doing and will stand behind the work for a fraction of the cost. I have had saws done by different builders and a normal cost for the services is $350 if parts are not required. It is best to just send a new unused saw. 40% is a stretch, but maybe on some models? The guy that has done my last couple saws has a dyno and provides the chart to show stock vs modified so its easy to figure a % gain. I specifically ask for a torquey flat power band, it just suits my cutting style. Some want a peaky saw for racing in cants

Thank You Sponsors!