iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To cut or not to cut

Started by Viking, December 02, 2003, 03:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

I've got 6 of these trees, they are about 60-70feet tal land about 30-34" at the base. do you's think they are worth cutting down ?

not sure what it is though heh, looks like spruce

Kevin

Looks like white spruce to me.
I wouldn't cut it down unless you have an absolute need for it.
It looks like it was left there on purpose from a previous harvest.

Ron Scott

"Ditto" to what Kevin stated. Don't harvest the trees unless you have an absolute need for them or have changed the objectives of the intended land management from the previous harvest.

They appear to be white spruce "seed trees" left from a planned "seed tree" harvest or for other reasons such as aesthetics, wildlife cover, vegetative diversity, etc.

~Ron

Bud Man

That's an OWB to me--OH WHY BOTHER.  Land looks pretty sparse to me, I believe I'd let em produce some more seed and give the birds of prey a good vantage point.  And secondly after you cut all six of em where are you's gonna hang your deer stand ?  :o
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

SawBilly

ditto on the dear stand, not much happens when you stand out in the open

Minnesota_boy

I'd have to differ on the guess of the species.  The shape of the tree and the distribution of the branches say white pine to me.  I would have to agree that the trees are most likely worth more standing than as logs.  I'd love to have a few of those on my property just to cast seeds to the wind and ensure a future forest.  I like it when my neighbor's white pine give me seedlings.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

slowzuki

Well, the pics is kinda blurry.  The white pine around here don't have that kind of limb structure or spacing.  It looks like a hemlock but why would they leave it during a harvest?

I'd need a closer picture :)
Ken

jrdwyer

Looks like white pine to me. The tree pictured has a fairly branchy stem, i.e. low grade and low price. I vote to leave it for wildlife and tree regeneration purposes.

slowzuki

I'm gonna change my vote too, I saw some white pine that looked similar on the weekend.  I'm so used to the look of the ones that grew up in the open instead of in a forest.
Ken

Woodhog

It looks like a fairly beat up White Pine, seems to have several
tops, a common ailment with my white pine, the butt log seems damaged, the whole tree wouldnt be worth cutting, thats probably why they left it, if the butt log is no good the tree wont scale for much of anything...

I would leave it, at least not everything was cut off... :)

Kevin

QuoteI'm gonna change my vote

The rules clearly state there's no changing of the votes once submitted.

Tom

It was a hung up chip... er......chad, uh....Kevin.  I know what he's talking about.  The typwriter shoulda' known what he meant.

Stephen_Wiley

See as how I have not voted yet............I will say it does not appear to be a white pine or spruce, hemlock maybe, positvely a conifer  :D

How about a pic. of leaf sample for id ?

Branching is more like hemlock or Douglas-fir.  
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

slowzuki

Must a missed that in the junior woodchucks manual :D

I see someone else is wafting in the direction of hemlock too!

QuoteThe rules clearly state there's no changing of the votes once submitted.

SasquatchMan

Could that be lodgepole pine (or is that the same thing as we've guessed already under a different name?)
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Thank You Sponsors!