iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter slammed shut

Started by bandmiller2, January 12, 2011, 07:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

About 20" of new snow today.Thought of Jacksonville Tom today hooked up one of those gas fireplaces and watched the flames dancing, not as good as real wood but close enough and I don't have to lug snowy logs it in the house. Chase-Delane mill is all covered with snow, blew right in under the shed roof,seems to evaperate in a couple of days.Does snow sublime directly to the air or does it have to melt first,seems even when the temp is below freezing it vanishes. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DanG

It is my Southern opinion that the ONLY decent thing snow does is vanish.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

laffs

if your missing it Frank, you can come get some of mine.
Brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

beenthere

Put a snowball in the freezer, and it will evaporate. :)

As well, snow settles very quickly too, and if the ground isn't frozen it will melt at ground level. All combine to see it disappear soon. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

Quote from: DanG on January 12, 2011, 08:10:33 PM
It is my Southern opinion that the ONLY decent thing snow does is vanish.

Don't listen to DanG. He don't know anything about snow. I just heard on the news that right now Florida is the only state without snow. Yes, even Hawaii has snow on the tops of the mountains.

And yes, snow can change directly to water vapor without melting. The process is called sublimation. And it can happen at temperatures below freezing. You can see it where the snowbanks get that porous look. It's happening right now.  8)

But it's also snowing again.  :'(
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Piston

I was wondering how much snow we got back home Frank, thanks for posting, wish I was home to play around in it with the new tractor  :( haha
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

captain_crunch

Snow ?? Can someone describe  it for me ;D ;D In my Wasted youth we logged in it but have avoided it for so long forgot what it is like :o :o If I added all we have got so far this winter don't know if it would amount to 2 in
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

SwampDonkey

Quote from: captain_crunch on January 13, 2011, 12:17:35 AM
If I added all we have got so far this winter don't know if it would amount to 2 in

Ain't no sunshine yet today to check it out, but that's about right for here to. The wind will take any snow we get and carry is for miles.  ::)

Just peeked out with the yard light and less than an inch on the steps.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bugdust

If any of you woke up this morning missing some snow don't fret it's in my driveway, 16" worth.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

r.man

Frank, I would normally be right with you in commenting about volume but we don't have much. The ground is completely covered and you can't drive everywhere you want with a car but I think a four wheel drive truck could go most places that are not plowed. Snowmobilers are not too happy but the ski hills are ok since it has been lots cold and they all make their own snow. A friend with a long driveway with a hill in it has only had to clear it twice this season. Some years he would have done it at least 12 times by now. Maybe we will have to change our nickname to " The great sorta white north."
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Chris Burchfield

Bandmiller2, back to the question, I have seen just fallen Black Ice evaporate from the road inside of 30 minutes with a strong continuos wind.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

r.man

Oh right, the question. In the early eighties I worked for the local ice company bagging and delivering cubed and block ice. Once in a while it was necessary to take out ice that had been in the merchandisers for a long time and sort it, remove snowy or lumped up ice and broken bags. Twice when I did this I found intact bags, wire fastener still on them, completely empty mixed in with whole bags of ice in good shape. Never understood why one bag would sublimate while the bags next to it were intact. Live long enough, see everything.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Rancher

OK, so I am in Colorado at 9,500 ft. Most people would think...Colo, cold, snow then more cold and snow. Well, right now we have more bare ground than snow. Not that I mind. It has been a bit cold but not even that for today as we are going to be above freezing.
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

SwampDonkey

35 F and melting snow here.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

captain_crunch

Bugdust
Sorry bout that soon as I get trailer hooked up will come and get it someone must have left gate open lastnight ;D ;D ;D
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

North Pole Kid

We could use some too!  Great insulator when the temps dip low. 

Dave Shepard

We got about 20" yesterday, with minor drifting. It's 14F and it's not settling any, yet. Somebody said something about another two feet on Tuesday. I used my selective hearing to not hear that, we've got to set up that 24' extension on the mill soon. In a field. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Mooseherder

All that snow will fill in the potholes and make it nice and level for you.

SwampDonkey

Someone said NW Mass. got 40" of snow.  :o Inch here maybe, hard to tell when the wind sweeps everything off like a broom on autopilot. ;D 36F and melting in the daytime, 29 right now.

Dave Shepard

I heard Peru Mass. got 36" or so. It's a couple degrees below 0 now. Somebody said something about another 2 feet on Tuesday. Then somebody else said something I can't repeat here. :D (Wasn't me)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Piston

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 14, 2011, 10:10:04 PM
Somebody said something about another 2 feet on Tuesday.

I sure hope so!  Although you guys always seem to get the good storms and ours turn to rain at the end  >:(
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

SwampDonkey

The Tuesday storm your gonna get, it going to be mixed with ice up here. So maybe I can sled soon.  8) I just hope the trees aren't damaged.

Thank You Sponsors!