iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Makita DCS520i

Started by Eric_d, December 02, 2003, 12:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric_d

is the makita dcs520i about the same as the dcs540 or is the 540 a better saw?

Kevin

dcs520i is 52cc and the dcs540 is 54cc.

SasquatchMan

To make sure we're talking the same talk, Makita lists a DCS540 and a DCS5200i.

The 540 has less HP than the 5200i, which is rated at 3.6 as opposed to the 540 having 3.0 hp.  The 5200 also boasts an "injection carburetor for reliable starting in hot and cold conditions".  

Looks to me like the 5200 is a fancier unit, but both should be pretty good saws.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Kevin

squatch;
Do you know if they are Dolmar saws?

SasquatchMan

Pretty sure Makita's DCS stands for Dolmar Chain Saw.
I've been told by any number of people that Makita and Dolmar are the same thing.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

woodbeard

Yes, actually Makita owns Dolmar now.

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
yep a makita and dolmar are one of the same now day's ..i was lead to belive the makita was the tradesman shop model tho (i could be wrong there) looking at themside by side hard to pick (yea yea one's blue) as for ya askingifthey are a good saw i have 3 dolmars  109, 120SI ,9010 and have owned a 122 many moon's ago ..i find them OK but try before ya buy  i have tryed other saws and findthey don't feel right , good saws but just did not suit me...the makita would be worth a look tho ..where did ya find the S5200I ?? if itis anything like the 120SI it would be a good saw
catch ya
JD  
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Elmore

Makita DCS520i is an older saw. It does not have a choke plate but an injection system instead. DCS540 is a newer saw that is EPA compliant. I hear that the DCS520i is a better performer. As a matter of fact I have a new Makita DCS520i in the box waiting for me to put it together and break it in. Makita does own Dolmar. I hear they are very good saws. I would have bought a DCS540 but I found a good deal on this 10 year old, discontinued model.
"Imagination without education is like a bird without feet"
"Feet entangle birds, words...men"

jokers

Hey, I hear that if you look far enough you'll find that Elux now owns Dolmar. You'll also notice that some Makita models are disappearing whilst their Dolmar counterparts remain in what appears to be a distillation of the brand.

Russ

Lobo

'' Hey, I hear that if you look far enough you'll find that Elux now owns Dolmar ''

??? Not a peep about this,  that I could find on either Makita's site or Electrolux's site.

??? Could not find anything about this on stock market financial news either.

You would believe that such a sale or acquisition would surely show up somewhere, especially that German companies traditionally try and keep their companies within German hands.

Bernhard

makita gasoline driven chainsaws are the same like the Dolmars. The Makita website is still listing dolmar...so a buy of by Electrolux seems not possible.
I know, that JD is a friend of the dolmars. But we had a 114 si at our VFD...and it never ran when we needed it. It had been replaced by a Stihl 044...and it is a world apart from the dolmar.
Otherwise...I bought the same type of saw for reselling about 2 years ago...it started at the 3rd pull..
The smaller Dolmars (Makita gasoline Saws aren´t sold here) are often sold by wholesalers....so better to let the fingers out of them.
I´m a honest Stihl guy (018, 024, 028, 290, 044, and 2 046,  2 hedge- and 3 brushcutters a few vintage Stihls) I would go with the Husqvarna or the Stihl...good dealers support and good quality.

jokers

Quote from: Lobo on February 24, 2005, 08:51:03 AM
'' Hey, I hear that if you look far enough you'll find that Elux now owns Dolmar ''

??? Not a peep about this,  that I could find on either Makita's site or Electrolux's site.

??? Could not find anything about this on stock market financial news either.

You would believe that such a sale or acquisition would surely show up somewhere, especially that German companies traditionally try and keep their companies within German hands.

Lobo,

I don`t know if it`s true yet and it may only be a regional thing, but I`ve been told that there is going to be significant pairing in the distribution pipeline of Dolmar products in Canada with other products that ultimately are owned by Elux. Just a hint of something and a rumor right now. Dolmar is also going to be available under it`s own name in Canada within the next month or two. This is a significant departure from their alliance with Makita.

Russ

Thank You Sponsors!