iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just parked my westernstar!

Started by Woodhauler, January 12, 2011, 10:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Snowing 2-3 inches a hour! Loaded pine logs for the irving mill in dixfield maine, which is 75 miles away and said to heck with it!Got one load in this am before it started and that was it!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

rick f

We gave up  splitting and loading firewood at 10:30. 1 1/2 cords split by hand this morning and hauled. Snow and wind are bad here in Downeast Maine now. Staying in the rest of the day. This won't help the ground to freeze up at all.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

dsgsr

Last few days was pretty good gittin around in the woods with the tractor. Not any more, will have to stay on the trails that I can clear with the bucket. Walking to the trees will be hard also.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Autocar

I don't like trucking in bad weather eather plus I don't like road salt on my truck  ;D
Bill

tlandrum

we've had snow for the last week and around here snow and ice shuts things down. its been 10 years since weve seen this much snow and my log truck aint about to move off the hill its on until they get it cleared..ive got 2 loads on the deck and cant get them to the mill. ive got a small deck and 2 loads is it,have to clear it before i can skid more wood.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Tom

It sure is cold in Florida.  :-\

mad murdock

Better to be parked and loaded in the yard then tipped over in the ditch with a load of logs everywhere.  A co-worker just got back from visiting his fiance's family in Brazil, said that it was cold and rainy there as well.  Supposed to be summer there, it was not freezing, but certainly didn't have any hot sunny days at the beach, he said.  From the looks of footage being broadcast on the "tube" of the snowstorm you guys are having back east, it looks like a winter wonderland for sure.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

jim king

90 degrees and light rain here guys.

Tom

DouginUtah

Quote from: Tom on January 12, 2011, 02:23:47 PM
It sure is cold in Florida.  :-\

Yabut Florida is the ONLY state that doesn't have any snow.  :D  8)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Maine372

i can think of shorter hauls from jackson than dixfeild!

bill m

We have about 24 in. of new snow on the ground now. I worked all day in the woods cutting and hauling logs out. Chains on all four wheels of the tractor and 4wd on the trailer and I can get around real good.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

chevytaHOE5674

Over the weekend we got between 16 and 30 inches of snow depending on location and 17 Michigan Double logging trucks still dropped logs off in our wood yard. Not much stops the truckers or loggers around here.

Banjo picker

Quote from: rick f on January 12, 2011, 12:01:10 PM
We gave up  splitting and loading firewood at 10:30. 1 1/2 cords split by hand this morning and hauled. Snow and wind are bad here in Downeast Maine now. Staying in the rest of the day. This won't help the ground to freeze up at all.

Things are a bit upside down it seems, because the ground sure is froze here in Mississippi...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

sawguy21

6" here in Vancouver last night, a record for the day. Worse in the mountains, highway1 looks like a hockey rink.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

captain_crunch

Wiered weather Here in western Oregon it was 55 degs warmest has been in about 2 weeks Yesterday 39 was Hi here
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

SwampDonkey

This winter has been 15-25 degrees above normal all winter. Never been below 0 F and mostly stays in the 20's and 30's. Now that is real weird, and you guys south getting all the snow and colder than normal. Yup, the world musta flipped upside down. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

captain_crunch

Maybe we need to take this climate change crap seriously ::) ::)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

SwampDonkey

I drove way up the road, over a mile above where they plow to and it looks like dry desert. No more than an inch tire impression in snow. Not even a snow drift. 35 degrees and melting what little there is. The pavement is covered in sand from over applying in between skiffs of snow. Run the darn plow truck up the road twice a day for nothing.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodhauler

Quote from: Maine372 on January 12, 2011, 05:47:04 PM
i can think of shorter hauls from jackson than dixfeild!
Might be shorter hauls,but can't get the scale and money we get in dixfield!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

woodmills1

Irving pays...I think they supply home depot's
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ed_K

Irving pays good down here in Ludlow,Ma. too 8).
Ed K

Maine372

im just across the river in peru. growing up just north of portland we sent pine to dixfeild too, but the truckers were used to heading up rte 4 for jay. i think they could drive that road asleep.

NB sawdust

Irving ....  we try to avoid them if possible. They want more private wood they say.... what a bunch of you know what. The president of the NB federation of woodlot owners wrote in to the forum section of the Moncton Times & Transcript on tuesday of this week,great letter ,on tuesday the vice president of woodlands writes in with his reply.It's worth reading if you are local , and its probably on the website for the paper .

My opinion on irving is that they flushed out all the small private mills in all the small towns around here. Those mills were the main employer for those places, and they all used to have a small chunck of crown to work with. Irving gets all the goverment support because they are a big employer and tax payer ...... they have our goverment by the jingle bells in my opinion. Grrrrrrr....

bill m

Quote from: Ed_K on January 13, 2011, 07:09:07 PM
Irving pays good down here in Ludlow,Ma. too 8).
Does Irving have a yard in Ludlow?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ed_K

sure do,my trucker headed there in the morning.
Ed K

SwampDonkey

I don't want to start anything, but if Irving pays good down that way, then things must be real bad. This is exactly their tactic, to pay more and truck further than to pay fare price to local woodlot owners. One day you will look to sell wood and Irving will be the only game in town and the price will drop. They pay the least of any outfit and we have records from reports from decades of sales. They also buy the least, they change specs on a whim, shut mill gates and all the sudden expect the wood yesterday.  ::) They also are the slowest to pay on deliveries, can be up to 1 year and being in arrears for $1M or more in payments to woodlot organizations is not uncommon with those jokers. They have tried to break woodlot owner organizations for years and have failed at every turn. The more they squeeze the tougher we get. ;D

Ask pappy his opinion from northern Maine. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!