iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's Keeping You Warm?

Started by Magicman, January 11, 2011, 08:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Most all of us are feeding another mouth during this cold.  Mine is a "Craft Fireplace Insert".

What are you feeding  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WH_Conley

An Ashley Wood & Coal stove in the basement and a little "Progress" coal stove, almost as old as I am, in the living room.
Bill

Autocar

A Greenwood Wood Fired Boiler  ;)
Bill

tyb525

Vermont Castings "Federal Airtight"

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

doctorb

A Central Boiler E-2300.  Toasty.  My wife likes the extra hot hot water during the winter!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Dan_Shade

i'm cold, and waiting for spring!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sdunston

Earth stove in the basement, built a hood over the stove that goes into my cold air return on the oil hotair furance, So far this season 2.5 full cords of wood and not a drop of oil 8)
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Busy Beaver Lumber

Ty

That is an excellent stove you have. I had one of those for 15 years when I lived in NJ and used it to heat my entire house.

Fred
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Magicman

The Magicwoman wanted to know why I took a picture of the inside this morning before leaving to saw.  I just told her when I got cold I could look at the fire and get warm.   ::)

Hot....Yeah !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Fawcett forced air in the house and cast iron heater in the shop. Oh, it's about 85 in here and was over 100 in the shop steaming wood, door open.  ;D :D 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DonT

We have a Pacific energy super 27 pretty much heats the house.

Mark K

I have a Glacier Bay wood stove on my first floor and Fisher "Papa Bear" in the basement. About 5 and a half face cord so far this winter with not a drop of oil.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

D Hagens

I have a gas fireplace, turn knob, push button and stay warm.....boring. :-\
I really miss the wood stove I had in my place back on the farm, it was the only heat I had.
Wish I had a stove at the cabin! :D

SwampDonkey

If I had to use gas, I would be forced to go to an igloo and use walrus and whale oil. Gas is way too high in this part of the country. We pay way more than Quebec and Ontario and we are at the source.  Distribution costs. :-X ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

D Hagens

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 11, 2011, 10:11:05 PM
If I had to use gas, I would be forced to go to an igloo and use walrus and whale oil. Gas is way too high in this part of the country. We pay way more than Quebec and Ontario and we are at the source.  :-X ::)

It's not just the expense it's so fake and the heat makes me gag :o You can't smell  wood or anything. I have electric heat here to, never had electric heat in my life and I'm not about to use it.
This is about as close to city life as I've ever been and that's going to change real soon! 8)

John R

I heat the house, the barn, and my hot water with an OWB.
I burn about a wheelbarrow load per day when it's really cold out.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

Jeff

We just flip a switch to build a fire. Its over 90% efficient and we live in natural gas country.  :)  I crunched the numbers a lot of times, and it was always way cheaper for me to be doing something else then cutting or buying firewood.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

My loving wife, and gas logs in the fire place.  Unvented, like Jeff 90+% stays in the house.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Rocky_Ranger

I'm with you TR, my blushing bride of 32 years and a good old Quadra-fire pellet stove.
RETIRED!

Jeff

Mine is vented. Its a regular gas job, can't burn the real thing in it. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tyb525

I like wood, sure it is probably more costly when you factor in the labor, but I don't pay myself (or get paid by mom) for doing chores that need done, so it just gets done. I like the work too, sure I could be doing other things, but it helps mix things up sometimes.

We have a heat pump with electric back up, too, but it doesn't run too much.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Earth Stove by Colony Hearth.  This one has been working for me for 29 years, and is as good as the first day that I used it.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Holmes

Fireview soapstone stove by Woodstock Stove Co.  Also Viessmann boiler with radiant heat
Think like a farmer.

SwampDonkey

3 days stacking isn't much of my time. And only 1/3 the cost of alternatives. Plus I'm warm. :)

Larry

We just had a three dog night, but since we only have two dogs and a cat I threw an extra stick in the Vermont Castings Defiant Encore before bed time.  Still nice and toasty this morning. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!