iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is your favorite brand of chain saw

Started by logman81, January 11, 2011, 08:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

I use both husky and stihl but find that stihl is a little more durable, at least for me anyway.
Precision Firewood & Logging

CX3

I have owned several of both.  All pro saws.  The only thing that rides in my truck now is a Stihl
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

timberfaller390

L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

paul case

stuhl here too. they cut like a scalded dog and loan real good too. i wish the last folks i ''loaned'' mine to would return them. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ljmathias

Me too on Husky and Stihl although the last Husky I bought won't start for crap.  Got a little Husky that was great for trimming and started fine, then all of a sudden is hard to start.  No problems ever with the Stihls- change the filters and plugs now and then, and just like the battery bunnie, they just keep arunnin'

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

treetech

Just curious; Does anybody else find the stihl a touch hard on fuel?

DonT

I have a few of both.My dealer  sells Husky so that is what I tend to buy.I have tried the Husky 338xpT and it does not compare to the stihl 200T.Problem with Stihl in this area is that most dealers are rental shops.Customer service really is poor.Both are good saws but having a good dealer close by is worth considering when purchasing.Most days there are 5 saws in the truck when  am going to work,372xpg,357xp,335xpt,Stihl 200T and a stihl 170 in the chipper.

beenthere

Quote from: treetech on January 11, 2011, 10:48:42 AM
Just curious; Does anybody else find the stihl a touch hard on fuel?

Yah, because the saw is running. When they don't start, they don't use much fuel.  ;D

I like my Stihl.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ChrisF

Jonsered, hands down.

The straight front handle is the only thing that feels right for extended use for me, neither Stihl nor Husky saws feel as good in my hands as Jred does.
Jred 2171WH
Husky 242XP

lumberjack48

I've been out of the game for 15 yrs, so i can't compare the new models, Back in the 80's & 90's i ran Jonsered, Husky and Stihl. The Husky and Jonsered are basically  the same saw, the Husky always seemed to be a faster cutting saw then the Jonsered, but the Jonsered seemed to be the better saw of the two. Jonsered's a ran, 601, 621, 751, 80, 630 and the 90. Husky's a ran, 66,162, 44, 50, 444, 266, 272. Stihl's i ran, 046, 028, 034, 034S, 038, 038 Mag, and a 044 Mag.
The saw i would take to the woods right now would be the 044 Mag, i had it set at 16000, it was an animal, a fun saw to run.
I'm a hard guy to impress , the Stihl's proved to be the better saw, I was a Husky, Jonsered man through and through.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Autocar

I run only 395XP Husky anymore there so much lighter then my 084's and 088's.
Bill

sealark37

Back when the loggers and pulp cutters were using chainsaws for felling trees, Husky and Stihl were the by-far leaders in the woods.  It seems that the guys who valued raw power loved the Husky, while the ones who were into dependability and easy starting preferred the Stihl.  I agree that it is more important to have a dealer who is technically savvy about his saws.  Husky had a problem some years ago with the "new" gasoline formulations dissolving rubber parts like fuel lines.  Husky fixed the problem, but the word didn't get out to dealers who didn't have a real service capability.  Years later, you cannot get the right parts to fix the fuel system unless the dealer has the service bulletin or someone who remembers it.  Also, a Husky is not hard to start if you have the arm to turn it over against compression.  I have always used Husky saws, but if I ever purchase a new saw again, it will be a Stihl.  My son has one, and what a sweet start it has.  It won't through chips as far, but it does the job.  Buy it from a dealer who has a shop.  Regards, Clark  

logman81

ErikC

Quote from: lumberjack48 on January 11, 2011, 01:52:44 PM
The saw i would take to the woods right now would be the 044 Mag, i had it set at 16000, it was an animal, a fun saw to run.
I'm a hard guy to impress , the Stihl's proved to be the better saw, I was a Husky, Jonsered man through and through.
Stihl for me--I have had several models, and the old tuned up 044 Mag is one of my favorites too. Fast and mean :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

logman81

Stihl ms 650 is what I use mostly but I also use the husky 385 xp once in while.

loggit

Husky is saw of choice for me, been running them for a long time and have always had good luck with them.

motif

Mark K

I own both Stihl and Husky. I have 2-385's, 2-372's that I run most of the time. I bought a 441 Stihl to replace an old 044 and really didn't care for it much until it got broke in. Also have an 046 with some work done to it, fun saw to run. Husky gets my vote though.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Quebecnewf

I ran a Jonsered 44cc for about 10 years . Was a good saw as far as i was concerned. I then bought a 6400 Makita (Sachs Dolmar in the US) and it as been as good if not better than the Jonsered . Only 4 years on it so far so we will see in 6 more years

Quebecnewf

mad murdock

started on Homelite and Mac (promac 10-10), then graduated to Jreds (52E, 70E, 920E), and Husqvarna (266, 381, 372XPW).  I have run Stihl, but the only German saw I really liked is the Sachs-Dolmar.  Support is the most important when it comes to a good saw, even the best ones need worked on, and parts.  Now-a-days if it's not a swede saw, I don't want it.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

nhlogga

Jonsered. I got two dealers close by and they are awesome to deal with. The Stihl and Husky daelers close by are complete idiots.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

JamesE. PikeLogging

i started out runnin huskys and always will

chucker

ive ran them all that were worth a danged.. anything that ran more then a day was worth trying a second days work! other than the "big red one", theres no choice as to jonsered being the one and only winner!!      !!"GO BIG RED " !!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Ron Scott

~Ron

customdave

Stihl & Echo, had good luck with both.

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!