iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

440a hard starting

Started by phil-tinker, January 11, 2011, 06:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil-tinker

440a is hard to start in cold weather 30 degrees or so starter does not seem to be turning over fast enough and put on new starter and right voltage 12 get lots of black smoke but no go any thing about putting 24v to starter any help out there

Holmes

I had a problem like that on a skid steer it was a ground wire  1 that connected the motor to the frame was rusted Check all your ground connections  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

oldseabee

If I'm not mistaken, that machine has a constant pressure hydraulic system. Your starter is trying to turn the engine and at the same time the pump is trying to build up pressure which is loading the engine down. Some folks that I have talked to say to work the steering wheel back and forth while trying to start the engine which will keep the pressure relieved while the engine gets started.

CX3

Check the batteries too.  Might have a dead cell in one of them.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

5akman

I just got the owners manual for my 440C. It shows relieving the pressure on the hyd pump if the engine needs help turning over. You might try that.
1978 JD 440C

doghunter

some 440s had a pump shutoff on top of the main hydraulic pump a stud with a roll pin through it turn it in until u feel resistance and then go one full turn this takes the pump out of stroke and makes a lot of difference 
doghunter

tjdub

Quote from: oldseabee on January 11, 2011, 08:01:36 AM
If I'm not mistaken, that machine has a constant pressure hydraulic system. Your starter is trying to turn the engine and at the same time the pump is trying to build up pressure which is loading the engine down. Some folks that I have talked to say to work the steering wheel back and forth while trying to start the engine which will keep the pressure relieved while the engine gets started.

This is how I start my JD tractors from the same era (4010 and 4020).  Deere does sell destroker kits for them, but the steering wheel is good enough for me.  I'm not sure if this will work as well on a skidder since it takes a lot more pressure to steer it.  As others have said, there may be a built-in destroker built into the pump on this model.

Does the 440a have a lever to turn the winch PTO off for starting?

Does the skidder have two batteries or just one?  My 450 dozer has the same engine and having two 12V batteries (in parallel) is a must for winter starting, while one is more than enough when it's above freezing.  Don't hook two batteries up in series (24V) though or you will do serious damage.

snowstorm

Quote from: phil-tinker on January 11, 2011, 06:12:09 AM
440a is hard to start in cold weather 30 degrees or so starter does not seem to be turning over fast enough and put on new starter and right voltage 12 get lots of black smoke but no go any thing about putting 24v to starter any help out there
quickly turn wheel a few inchs back and forth . shut the pump off.. turn the screw all the way in. shouldnt have the turn pump off till it gets close to ...zero...2 good batterys and good heavy cables...big..  if you have the round fuel filters ditich those buy the square glass one and mount for it. fuel running on starters dont mix. no need to shut winch off an if ya do you have to shut engine off to put it back in gear.

oldseabee

It was skidder guys I was dealing with, I was Clark Skidder rep but got around a lot of jobs with other models in the woods

snowstorm

Quote from: oldseabee on January 11, 2011, 08:01:36 AM
closed center hydraulics.....2500psi waiting at the valve ready to go to work.

Bobus2003

Disengage the winch, and Turn in the Screw on the Hyd. pump, should help her fire up.. i've had to do this on my 440 plenty of times.. helps out a huge amount

John Woodworth

I've never been around a 440 but the 540,640 and 740's I've run had a lever under the dash on the left side that by-passed the hydraulics in cold weather starting.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Bobus2003

Quote from: John Woodworth on January 12, 2011, 11:02:24 PM
I've never been around a 440 but the 540,640 and 740's I've run had a lever under the dash on the left side that by-passed the hydraulics in cold weather starting.

Early 440's didn't have this.. Handle in this location on a 440 just disengages the PTO to the winch.. The 640D that my brothers company has, has this lever you speak of and it is handy.. no unbolting the grille to disengage the hyd.

krukedmatt

We had this exact same problem.  We installed a gear reduction starter and never had a problem again. 

Also, turning the screw on the hydraulic pump always helped.

Thank You Sponsors!