iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving Logs

Started by Kevin_H., October 25, 2001, 09:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_H.

Just wonder how some of you move your logs, Not on your yard, but when you get that lone free log somewhere.
I get a lot of logs from tree services, occasionally they are delivered but some I have to go and get, most of the time it is only one or two logs and I have been thinking about some kind of arch. Like the kind that you would use to move or deliver a large propane tank. This would allow you to simply back over the log or logs and pick them up. still working on how to strap them down, but a couple of 4 x 4 should do the trick. Anyone using or seen something like this?
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

timberuk

I suppose it depends how much you want to spend. I've seen 2 methods here..

1. A trailer with a homemade removable upside-down v-shaped arch that slots into the sides of the trailer (or pickup bed) with a pulley, positioned about two-thirds down the bed. And an electric winch. The rope is fed through the pulley to lift the tip of the log onto the bed, then released from the pulley to pull it all the way in.

2. As above, but using a hand winch, such as a Tirfor.
I don't do it for the money, so it must be for the love.

Jeff

we have a fellow around here that uses a modified boat trailor. uses a sheetmetal "ramp" to initially get the end of the log skidded up on the trailer. Uses the boat trailor winch and has also added sheet metal between the keel rollers.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

We had one guy who had a winch in the front of his pickup bed.  He just winched them up onto the pickup and drove off.

Note: it was an old pickup and he couldn't take real long logs.  He did take logs as wide as the truck bed.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Kevin

This is neat ...

or the ATV version ...

Tom

Lacking much sophistication, I roll my logs up on the trailer or truck from the side.  I make a ramp of 4x8's from the side of the truck to the ground next to the log.  Then I loop the winch cable over the log, under the log and back to the truck where I hook it to one of the stake holes.  I made a temporary mount for the winch that will lock on the stake holes on the other side of the bed.  When I winch the cable in it causes the log to roll up the ramp.  If you can keep everything straight then the log will end up on top of the bed of the truck.  I have loaded 30+ inch sweet gums like this. You sure have to be careful though and it is not for the weak of heart. :D

Kevin_H.

Thanks for the idea's, I have also thought of an the upside down V on the trailer, But mine was to pivot up and down with a set of skidding tongs on the top. You would lower the V down hook up the tongs and use the winch to pick the V and the log up and onto the tailer. Thanks again.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Frank_Pender

Tom,                                                                                                   That method is called. par-buckeling :P
Frank Pender

Tom

You mean it actually has a name, Frank.   And I thoght I was so smart.   Seriously I've seen that done all my life and still thought I had invented it when I did it.  There are lots of tales of loggers with mules who loaded their wagons with logs in the early 1900's around here.  I have to hear the stories every time I visit one ranch or the other. :D   Yep, wometimes the fellows are still alive and get pretty long winded. Lots of the stories are about "Uncle Rod or Grandaddy".

Parbuckling, Huh.  I hope I can remember that.

UNCLEBUCK

I know this thread has been up for a long time but I am just catchin up ! I haul logs with a big old manure spreader , torched 4 bolts off the back and the spreader drum falls right off , it can haul all that you can get in it ,it has truck size tires like 22.5 size, old recaps !  I also use this old manure spreader for rolling the saw slabs into at the end of the mill then with a tractor hooked to it I can haul it away and turn on the pto and it self unloads, good for hauling dirt,firewood,slabs, 16 foot hardwood trees, i painted it and can go 50 mph down the road too behind the pickup truck, all steel box and payed about 400 bucks at a farm auction for it !  :P
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Tom

How fast could you go down the road before you painted it, UncleBuck? :D

wiam

I have seen  a spreader on the interstate doing 65 that needed paint.  Odd, because in VT farm equipment is not allowed on the interstate. ;)

William

Norm

I've got an old spreader sitting in the barn, sure like your idea about using it for slabs and such. This one has wooden sides but when they wear out I'll just strip it and use it for the running gear.

Thanks for the idea Unclebuck. :)

UNCLEBUCK

Black paint will get ya a good 50mph on the highway, makes the amish take a long look !  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

AtLast

I wonder what a set up like the grapple trailer costs....Im lucky unuf that most my logs are on site and easy access...BUT Id LOVE to be able to go around and pick some up as well..... I imagine that set ups got to cost at least 10 or 15 thousand....but...I WANT 1 !!!!!!!! ;D

Frank_Pender

Kevin, try loking at what Mark Havel haas  come up with for moving a single log.  I thinnk you might find it very interesting and right down the alley you were seeking. ;)

Try: www.futureforestry.com
Frank Pender

ElectricAl

Our shop built Skidding Arch

We have added lights and a lience plate. How we can go down the road with the pickup.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

oakiemac

Hey Al, is the entire log off the ground? Or are you dragging the tail end? Do you have a winch on it to raise the log?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Kevin_H.

hey Al, that looks pretty interesting!

Frank, Since I first started this thread I have just put a 4500 lb winch on my 16 foot trailer and use a chain to roll the logs on.

If we have a lot of logs to get we take the bobcat along, however this means an extra trip to retreave it...

Someday I will have a truck big enough to hall the logs and pull the loader behind...Someday

ElectricAl

Oakiemac,

The log was a 28" x 10' , the butt is off the concrete by 3"

There is a hand crank winch at the front. The cable goes back to a welded pully above the axle center line. Cable is wrapped under the log and hooked to the arch. After the log is raised we use chains and load binders to securely support the log during transport.

We use to take your FORDster to the timber to pre haul to where the WM was set up. Worked great. The land owner would cut and buck, and I would pile 3 or 4 logs against a tree by the trail. When the land owner got tired. I would  quickly slip the forks under the little piles and zoom back to the sawmill. The trail was so smooth I could run 3rd loaded and 4 back. Nearly a mile one way. The saw was set up in the center of a 400 acre timber. ;D  We had a blast out there ;D
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

whitepe

Parbuckling?  I've done that with logs before
and I didn't even have to take my golf clubs along :D
I sawed a hard maple for a guy a couple of weeks
ago and he brought it with an old used propane
tank carrier.  It had a 6000 pound winch on it.
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Kevin_H.

AA HAA!!

So the propane carrier idea does work.

Did he suspend it all the way or did he rest it on the frame while enroute?

Larry

Another arch.  Looks and sounds the same as Al's.  I mostly use it to get one end of the log off the ground and skid tree length with the tractor.

I have used it to fetch a single log a few times and haul down country gravel roads but my tires and axles aren't real good so stay away from the highway.

Neighbor is building a new improved model.  Drive forward and the weight of the log pulls it up into the arch.  No winch required.  If it works I'm going to modify my arch.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ElectricAl

Larry

Al,
The Baker skidder looks a lot like what the neighbor has built.  Think he got his tire's and wheels the same place you got yours. :)  He has a big burr oak to test it out on.

I'll try to get a picture and report back on how it works. :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!