iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

quartersawn red oak bed project

Started by Dan_Shade, January 09, 2011, 07:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I got the headboard and footboard put together today.  I need to sand the panels, and get a coat of finish on them prior to glueing it all up.  This is the first time I've done panels.

I guess this is "arts and crafts" influenced?  if not, I'll go with "an original by Dan"  :-D

I need to get the rails installed, that's the next step.  I want to do blind bolts, with 3/8" brass inserts in the head/foot board, and allthread in a hole drilled along the axis of the rail, with an access hole from the inside.  I'll post pics of that after I figure out how I want to do it.

Need to turn some feet and make finials for the top as well.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

Looks great Dan, nice wood and design.  8) Will be following right along.  :)

I've used rail fasteners. It's hidden in the inside corner of rail and head board. Just a matter of sliding one half down over the second half, they interlock for a strong square fit.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

i'm afraid that they won't hold up to the abuse a bed can receive   ;D

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Dan,

That is well done.  The oaks looks really good! 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Can't wait to see the finished product.  nice.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Very nice.  There's just nothing like raised panels.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pigman

Looking good. 8)  Is that a matching night stand on the right in the last picture?
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dan_Shade

nah, it's a sewing station that a friend of mine is building for his wife.  we share equipment in his shop, works out well for the both of us.

metalspinner

Dan,

Using bed bolts is the way I've put a few beds together.  I use 1/2"  x 7" hex head bolts.  The joints I used are actually mortice and tenon, but they are held together with bed bolts.  Bed bolt covers conceal the bolt head.

QuoteI want to do blind bolts, with 3/8" brass inserts in the head/foot board, and allthread in a hole drilled along the axis of the rail, with an access hole from the inside

So, you do not want to pass the bolt through from the outside of the leg?

These beds were built for the kids, so they get the rough and tumble treatment, too.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

No, I don't want to put the bolts in from the outside of the leg.

Dan_Shade

I got it all together, need to fine tune one of the rails, screw on angle iron to hold the box spring, sand, and finish

I was able to make the blind connections like I wanted to, I put 3/8 brass inserts in the legs (didn't get a picture of that), and recessed the nut end:

assembled, it's very stiff even without being glued up:

another angle to show the rail:

I put about an 1/8" quartersawn veneer (resawn in the shop) on the outside of the rail.  I didn't put one on the inside, I may be rolling the dice, I don't know....  Time will tell!

I now need to make some bun feet and cap the tops of the posts. 

SwampDonkey

Looks like a good solid joint there Dan, lots of meat to hold strong.

As to the veneer face on the rail, did you contact cement it? It will have some give or flotation between surfaces with moisture movement, white glue will go solid. Looks like the rail was flat sawed, that's why I ask. And is that why you faced it? It may not even be a big deal, all depends on how dry it was and environment of the new home it will sit. I know little about veneering, so take it as an inquiry more than anything. I have faced plywood edge with thin quartered material instead of buying the roll of fake stuff (I guess rolls of real thin and narrow veneer can also be purchased). So grain direction is the same.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dan_Shade

i used titebond 3 (I think), I did not use contact cement.

I faced it to get a quartersawn face.  if it busts, I guess I'll have to fix it   ::)  My original plan was to get 4 slices from the 1/4sawn board, but I didn't have enough pressure against the fence, and the first slice ended up too thin

WDH

I am very impressed with your bed!  That clear oak is gorgeous.  You have to feel very satisfied with the outcome.  Several years later you will look at it and think, "DanG, I can't believe that I built that!"
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

Or, I"ll be looking at a busted rail, and go "i shoulda known better"

:-)

I made very shallow tennons for the bed rails as well, I probably should have made them 3/4" deep, but I figure this way, it would be easier to get it together.  I try to build my peices so that the mechanical joints give it strength, and not have to rely on glue or fasteners.  I think I am going to dowel the tennons when I put it together for additional strength.

SwampDonkey

You'll be surprised sometimes what dense wood will hold for weight and strength against it. I made a queen sized cherry bed with hard maple rails and I used the slip bed joints I posted about in an earlier post. The head and foot board posts are only 1-3/4 or 2" and it's never racked loose in 20 years. It's so easy to take apart and put back together. Of course I never had too much rough stuff or kids playing trampoline.  :D :D At first I was worrying the cherry could split, then that soon subsided. ;)

As kids we had pine twin beds, well they split the posts. :D

Magicman

That is very nice craftsmanship.  You are not going to break or shear any of those joints.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jamesamd

Well done,that is one sweet bed frame.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Burlkraft

The bed looks great Dan  8)  8)  8)

Danny's right....You'll be proud of that project for years to come.  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 09, 2011, 07:09:20 PM
*SNIP*
I guess this is "arts and crafts" influenced?  if not, I'll go with "an original by Dan"  :-D
*SNIP*

*SNIP*
Need to turn some feet and make finials for the top as well.
*SNIP*

You can definitely see some Arts and Crafts details in the piece. Massive, square posts? Check. Quartersawn oak (albeit not white oak)? Check. But the raised panels, the subtle arch atop the headboard, and the turned feet and finials that you refer to will make it all your own. Maybe you can call it "An Arts and Crafts-inspired Original by Dan". I'll just call it a beauty. Nice work! :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dan_Shade

incorporating the turnings into the peice is proving to be challenging, I turned some bun feet, they didn't fit the style, so I quickly did a cove, it looked better, i'll hopefully have more time this weekend....

so arts and crafts design doesn't incorporate raised panels?

SwampDonkey

I've been having a time of it with mortises. I can't get the chisels sharp enough. It's good steel and I even both honed it and tried it right off the stone. Just crushes the end grain in cherry if you try to square the hole. So now I have a mortising chisel, a coping saw, and a fine Japanese Dozuki saw on the way from Lee Valley. I'm not ready to invest in a mortise attachment and drill press. Maybe when the tax refund comes. ;D

Dan_Shade

I have two fixes

one, hit the chisel harder with the hammer

two, take off your glasses

:-)

SwampDonkey

Dan_Shade

SwampDonkey

Dan, Looks like a good article. I'm snagging the PDF file now.  :)

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 25, 2011, 08:06:20 PM
so arts and crafts design doesn't incorporate raised panels?

I can't say that there wasn't any Arts and Crafts furniture built with raised panels, but certainly the furniture that came to define the style was built with flat panels - usually just a 1/4" thick board in a 1/4" groove. A lot of Shaker furniture is built the same way. I am partial to that technique, because it allows me to resaw a 4/4 board into two bookmatched panels. A thicker panel in a bed is probably a good idea, given the abuse that it's liable to receive ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

isawlogs

Have you looked at BusyBee Tools  SD , they have a mortise attachment and drill press for those of us that are fanancialy at times chalenged  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Wrangler55

Quote from: isawlogs on January 26, 2011, 07:54:42 AM
Have you looked at BusyBee Tools  SD , they have a mortise attachment and drill press for those of us that are fanancialy at times chalenged  ;D

I make a jig to match the tenion I'm making a mortise for, then drill out most of the waste with a forsner bit, then I use a pattern bit in my plunge router to follow the template and a chisel to square up the corners.  Last I split the tenion on a table saw, and use a wedge to assemble the joint. After sanding flush, they look and feel perfect without a lot of effort.

Hal
I'm so covered with sawdust, my nickname should be dusty...

SwampDonkey

Marcel, they are not very expensive to begin with. Around $110 from Lee's and Canadian Tire sells a Master Craft that would be warranted if it broke, probably cheaper. I have heard various reports using these things, many are not really satisfied especially with the harder woods. They say not to force the work, sounds like it can be slow, but probably no slower than hand chiseled. You just have to watch what brand of press you get to be sure it can be attached. I would much prefer a mortising machine. ;D

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

I've moved this post over to my cabinetry thread. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!