iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Good Weekend

Started by Magicman, January 09, 2011, 02:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I didn't get a picture of my SIL's buck, but I did get these.

Two woodducks on Thursday.

Three woodducks Friday

This Bobcat had a bad day Saturday AM.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

QuoteTwo woodducks on Thursday.

I looked at that 3 times before I realized it didn't say woodchucks. ;) DanG Woodducks!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishpharmer

Jeff, I thought the exact same thing. :)

Nice wood ducks, some of my favorite hunting was for them.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Da bobcat was ah tryin' ta catch n eat da woodchuck.   :o  So, I had ta shoot im ta protect ma wood.  Ya see,  ah knows da place whare deys ah hidin it.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The little bobcat was just trying to make a living  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yup.  The reality is Danny, that they probably catch more mice, etc. than they do turkeys, although they do catch a few.  I've found too many piles of turkey feathers.  I've had several of them come in to my turkey call.  I'd hate to think how bad it would be if you didn't notice it and it pounced on you.  Those claws give me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it.

ErikC

I catch a few bobcats hound hunting every year. Hardly ever kill one though I have killed some nice big toms.
We caught a couple alive one time, kittens that were just a few pounds. That's no joke about the claws. I Think a bobcat kitten could whip a pretty mean house cat. :o Ever grab a friendly old house cat, startle him, and have him turn on you? You can't let go fast enough.  :D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Don't hardly see a bobcat around here, I did see a lynx this summer in the deep woods away from settlement. Three big leaps across a forest road and he was gone.

Are the wood ducks big enough to get enough meat off them for the cleaning work that is involved? Maybe they are easier to clean than other ducks. I've never seen one around here because I'm not near much water. Mostly geese, mallards, blacks and teal. A few other kinds on the main river.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

Is there a season on Bobcat?  While we have them here in Maryland, my deer hunting friends can count on one hand the number of times they've spotted one in their lifetimes.  Saw one up close at a Maryland zoo.  Beautiful animal.  I think here they are mostly nocturnal and therefore impossible to spot.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

There is a season on them up here, I think until the end of this month.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Bobcats are thought by our DNR to be our biggest predator of white tail fawns.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10366_46403-247869--,00.html

Magicman

I have a huge old tom cat that has given me the slip a couple of times this year.  I'll bet that he stands 18" tall.   My Grandson Ben, got rattled and shot and missed him.  We have one more week of rifle deer season, and then primitive weapon, muzzleloaders, 45-70's, and archery until the end of January.

It will be time to get some cottontails then.   ;)

SwampDonkey

Jeff, are the numbers of bobcat high? I have not heard they were particularly hard on fawns myself. I suppose if the opportunity exits, they'll take it. I have heard that they certainly will kill a young deer. My grandfather and his brother were trappers most of their lives. His brother skinned and stretched fur for a lot of folks. Some people like to trap, but don't like the rest of the work, or lack the skill.

Magicman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 09, 2011, 06:41:43 PM
Are the wood ducks big enough to get enough meat off them  

Donk, they are a bit larger than a teal, still a small duck.  With the fixings, one duck makes a meal for one person.  Well, for us anyway.  Our Woodduck season goes until the end of January, with a 3 bird per day limit.

SwampDonkey

I've never eaten duck, but grandfather loved it. He hunted ducks before my time. Then mostly grouse and woodcock.

ErikC

Bobcat #'s are pretty high here. I see several a year just driving around. And hunting in snow, I could probably run at least one every day if I wanted to, spotting the tracks. I think the ones in the eastern half of the country are a bit bigger than what we often see. I have seen just a couple 30-40 lbs, that was huge, most grown adults are 15-20 here. They are a top notch predator and I would expect them to hunt fawns, especially the bigger ones. Quail, rabbits and tree squirrels are a few of their favorite snacks. Bears are a lot harder on fawns here than Bobcats from what I have seen though.

One of the neatest things I have seen was for a couple of weeks one year we had over 100 wood ducks on a pond right by the house, they would fly away every time we drove in or out, or walked that way. Pretty spectacular little ducks.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Magicman

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 09, 2011, 08:02:08 PM
I've never eaten duck 

Since it is a flier, it is a dark meat breasted bird.  Roasted is wonderful, and we also like duck gumbo.

Magicman

Here is a picture of a couple of drakes that I took a few years ago. 

They are beautiful ducks.

Woodwalker

I use to deplete the Wood duck population around here every year. Duck dressing, smoked, wrap the breast in bacon, batter fry the breast, gumbo, duck and dumplings............
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

pigman

I have never eaten a wood duck. We do have some small ones on our ponds sometimes. What I wonder is if anyone has eaten wood geese?  I got a picture of some while I was in the UP a few years ago.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

I have eaten Canada goose. It was very greasy and kind of tough. My grandfather had shot it and we tried it. We told him we had our fill. ;D

gary

MM how can you do all that hunting without snow?

Magicman

:D :D  In my lifetime, I have only been able to hunt my place with snow one time.  That was last year.  With our weather, when we do get snow, it gets crusty very fast.

OK, I know that this isn't really snow, but it's about as close as we ever get.  This doe is the only deer that I have ever shot with snow on the ground in Mississippi.

DonT

Mmmmmmm.woodduck,my favourite eating duck.My prefered method of deer hunting is finding a track in the morning and trying to catch up to them before dark so snow is kinda important.We rarely get snow for our general gun season but usually get it for our muzzleloader season.No snow this year sucked.

Magicman

Quote from: DonT on January 10, 2011, 09:25:42 AM
Mmmmmmm.woodduck,my favourite eating duck  

I agree.  Here's proof.....and that ain't a Woodchuck !!!

Woodduck with the fixin's over rice with marinated carrots. MMmmmmmm.  :)

paul case

looks good and it looks like mine, well the fork is exactly like the ones we have at the ''case'' place.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

I see the skin is still on, so that was a plucked duck  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Plucked duck is better than Woodchuck.   ;D

Our season goes until the end of the month and they have really moved in on my creek potholes.  Gotta get some more.  The limit is 3 per day.

WDH

Grilled breast wrapped in bacon..........

Norm

Hey those are the ones I raised on my pond last year!

Just to make it fair go ahead and send up the next three you get. I like mine plucked. ;D

Magicman

My cook says that I've got to get a couple of bunnies also.  There's not much any better than rabbit gravy on hot biscuits.

WDH

I like rare-bit with jelly biscuits  :).

CX3

Mmmmm bunnies.  It finally came a skiff of snow here so we may try to get a few.  I always wait for some snow it is so much more fun. 

A funny story about duck hunting.  I have 3 ponds and noticed lots of ducks and geese on them last winter.  I dont waterfowl hunt, know nothing about it.  Well I told a friend who duck hunts and he got excited.  He showed me this and that about what to do, and we headed for the bigger pond at daylight.  Shortly after lots of ducks came in and we shot several.  I killed one in particular and waded out and got it.  My buddy was laying in the brush about 15 feet away and when I got back to my spot he says "what kind of duck is it". 

"Well how do I know? But its got a metal thing on its leg"  I said.  Oh man he came running over there like he was on fire.  "Where. Let me see. Let me see." I had to tell him I was just joking and he almost got mad.  I knew enough about duck hunting to know that would get him riled up ;D
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

SwampDonkey

I've had hare in stew, it's like chicken. No lie.  8)

Jeff

Chickens have feathers, not hare.

Norm

I like rabbit also but we are at the bottom of our cycle for them. Ten years ago when we bought the farm here they were thick but now it's rare to see one. I have one that's living under the straw next to the dog kennel that's driving the dog crazy trying to get at it. The coyote population has exploded so I'm wondering if that doesn't have a lot to do with it.

Magicman

Yup Norm, that is the cycle.  With no changes in the habitat, the population is controlled by  predators.  My pines were planted in 2005, so right now I have a very good habitat situation.  Bunnies are everywhere.  In five more years, the understory will open up, less habitat, the coyote population will increase, and alas, fewer rabbits.

beenthere

We are experiencing an increase in rabbit population here too. Spruce planting seems to attribute to that increase, and there are a lot of coyote too.

I used to get hare in my soup, but I don't anymore.   ::) ::)
But I picked 'em out, didn't want to know what it tasted like.   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Reminds me of an old elephant recipe.  You cook the elephant only add one rabbit, because no one likes much hare in their soup.

SwampDonkey

They are getting thick on my woodlot, I have a lot of spruce. They eat spruce and pine seedlings and girdle hardwood.  ::) I leave the coyotes and such alone. There may be some bobcat moving into the area to. Have not seen tracks for a bit, but I have not been up to the woodlot for a couple months. I doubt they will be anything significant like the coyotes, but something else to keep the hares on their best behaviour. ;D

submarinesailor

Here's a crazy cycle.

We had a lot of rabbets until the feral cats moved in.

Started shooting the cats and got more rabbets.........and MORE TICKS!!!!!!!

Stopped shooting the cats.......more cats, but a lot less ticks.

Commons factor - MICE. 

Less mice, less ticks.

bruce

Thank You Sponsors!